OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 07:25:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview with Cardinal Christoph Schönborn: Giving churches to Orthodox  (Read 1324 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 26, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »

Cardinal Christoph Schönborn of Vienna, Austria, on possibly giving some Catholic church buildings to Orthodox groups:

Let’s move to the restructuring of the archdiocese, which includes closing or clustering two-thirds of your parishes. How has that been received?

It’s in the beginning, and the reception has been mixed. On the one hand, I feel that many priests and lay people are glad that something is moving, because they know stagnation would not be a solution. It would only increase depression and discouragement. We all know that changes have to be made. Let me give you an example: the city of Vienna has 172 parishes, which is notably more than we had in 1945. The number of Catholics, however, has shrunk to less than half of what we had then. We have more parishes, churches, and buildings, but significantly fewer Catholics. We have to do something, and we’re trying to do it the right way. For instance, we’ve proposed to give churches to other Christian churches which are growing, such as the Copts, the Serbian Orthodox, and the Romanian Orthodox, who are all getting bigger. Instead of selling churches or simply closing them, we want them to stay open. I also don’t rule out that what I’ve seen happen in Berlin could happen in Vienna, which is that some churches the diocese had to close for financial reasons are taken over by the laity and become vibrant centers of spiritual life on another level.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »

I think giving them to our Orthodox brethren is a good solution. I would rather those Churches be continually used for the Holy Sacrifice.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 04:25:46 PM »

Cardinal Christoph Schönborn of Vienna, Austria, on possibly giving some Catholic church buildings to Orthodox groups:

Let’s move to the restructuring of the archdiocese, which includes closing or clustering two-thirds of your parishes. How has that been received?

It’s in the beginning, and the reception has been mixed. On the one hand, I feel that many priests and lay people are glad that something is moving, because they know stagnation would not be a solution. It would only increase depression and discouragement. We all know that changes have to be made. Let me give you an example: the city of Vienna has 172 parishes, which is notably more than we had in 1945. The number of Catholics, however, has shrunk to less than half of what we had then. We have more parishes, churches, and buildings, but significantly fewer Catholics. We have to do something, and we’re trying to do it the right way. For instance, we’ve proposed to give churches to other Christian churches which are growing, such as the Copts, the Serbian Orthodox, and the Romanian Orthodox, who are all getting bigger. Instead of selling churches or simply closing them, we want them to stay open. I also don’t rule out that what I’ve seen happen in Berlin could happen in Vienna, which is that some churches the diocese had to close for financial reasons are taken over by the laity and become vibrant centers of spiritual life on another level.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »

Would only work if they are facing east!

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »

Cue Stashko in 3...2...

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 06:37:15 PM »

So many Orthodox churches are not facing East.  Especially those that were acquired from Protestants.
soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »

So many Orthodox churches are not facing East.  Especially those that were acquired from Protestants.

That is an exception more then a rule, I was told that the alter, and congregation is to face east during worship.  But again I am sure some economia may be brought into play.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
ThatOneGuy92

Faith: Lutheran
Jurisdiction: Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »

It is possible that, after acquiring the building, the interior could be redesigned in order to face East. Or, if need be, there is always liturgical East.

Sincerely your brother in Christ,
Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great
choy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »

It is possible that, after acquiring the building, the interior could be redesigned in order to face East. Or, if need be, there is always liturgical East.

Hard to do that.  If the church is on a north-south orientation, if you move the altar to facing the East then you'll have one, really long iconostas.
ThatOneGuy92

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »

Hard to do that.  If the church is on a north-south orientation, if you move the altar to facing the East then you'll have one, really long iconostas.

Hence liturgical East, wherein the the placement of the Altar is considered to be "East". Not the perfect situation, to be sure, but it has been (and is used) frequently.

As for having a really long inconostasis: Don't think about it like that. It is just *MORE* iconostasis. If they can be built up the ceiling, why not from one side to the other?  Wink

Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great
choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »

Hence liturgical East, wherein the the placement of the Altar is considered to be "East". Not the perfect situation, to be sure, but it has been (and is used) frequently.

As for having a really long inconostasis: Don't think about it like that. It is just *MORE* iconostasis. If they can be built up the ceiling, why not from one side to the other?  Wink

I don't know how big some of these churches are, but I imagine it won't look too good.
ThatOneGuy92

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »

I don't know how big some of these churches are, but I imagine it won't look too good.

True, true.

Tim

- St. Basil the Great
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »

God will find those churches, east, west, north, south, facing upside down...whatever.... In the US the early Eastern churches were built facing where the people could obtain land - often lousy land from the mine, mill or railroad companies so I won't lose any sleep about which way they face. That doesn't mean they are improper for worship.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »

God will find those churches, east, west, north, south, facing upside down...whatever.... In the US the early Eastern churches were built facing where the people could obtain land - often lousy land from the mine, mill or railroad companies so I won't lose any sleep about which way they face. That doesn't mean they are improper for worship.

IS OUTRAGE!  THIS WHY AMERICANS DO NOT DESERVE AUTOCEPHALOUS CHURCH!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »

He will find us regardless!   Wink
choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »

So what will the Orthodox do with the RC statues?  Will the RC diocese take all the statues out?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »

So what will the Orthodox do with the RC statues?  Will the RC diocese take all the statues out?

Old Catholic chapel that used to be used by the mission I attend.
ThatOneGuy92

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 03:27:36 PM »

Exactly.

Tim

- St. Basil the Great
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »

I think giving them to our Orthodox brethren is a good solution. I would rather those Churches be continually used for the Holy Sacrifice.

Very thoughtful, benevolent thoughts by the Most Reverend Cardinal.  Bodes well for responsible ecumenical relations.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »

Cue Stashko in 3...2...

Huh

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

No comment...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:13:43 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 05:33:05 PM »

No comment...
[/quote]

I have a comment.

Given the history of the treatment of the Orthodox people and even the Greek Catholic people living within the borders of the Polish state during the 20th century, it is remarkable and wonderful that in the 21st century, the Roman Catholic church in Poland made space available to the Orthodox faithful in which to worship without coercion or efforts to force their conversion or liquidation as had been the case not so many decades previously.

So yes, I have a comment, "Kto Boh Velyj - How Great is our God, who creates miracles."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »

Given the history of the treatment of the Orthodox people and even the Greek Catholic people living within the borders of the Polish state during the 20th century, it is remarkable and wonderful that in the 21st century, the Roman Catholic church in Poland made space available to the Orthodox faithful in which to worship without coercion or efforts to force their conversion or liquidation as had been the case not so many decades previously.

So yes, I have a comment, "Kto Boh Velyj - How Great is our God, who creates miracles."

Old Catholic, not Roman Catholic.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »

Yes, regarding the example you related ...
However, would it be very surprising or remarkable if RCs in Poland did likewise? I wouldn't find it very surprising, but perhaps you'll think I'm being overly optimistic.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »

Yes, regarding the example you related ...
However, would it be very surprising or remarkable if RCs in Poland did likewise? I wouldn't find it very surprising, but perhaps you'll think I'm being overly optimistic.

There are a few cases (Lutherans also sometimes share their churches).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:35:05 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »

He will find us regardless!   Wink
Oh, He'll find us, alright. He'll find us AND PUNISH US FOR OUR BLASPHEMY D:<
Frederic

Faith: Roman Catholicism > Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Antioch

St Frederick of Utrecht

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:12 PM »

When one knows how Cardinal Schönborn celebrates masses, I think it's a good idea to give churches to the Orthodox.  Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=67Lom28KSlg#!

«One cannot understand the least thing about modern civilization if one does not first realize that it is a universal conspiracy to destroy the inner life.» (George Bernanos)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: