Author Topic: List of All Textual Differences Between the LXX and Masoretic  (Read 261 times)

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
List of All Textual Differences Between the LXX and Masoretic
« on: December 20, 2015, 10:21:29 PM »
Does such a list exist? If so, could you kindly directly me to it?

Also, do the users on OC.net ever use the Masoretic or do you all use the LXX exclusively?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:22:28 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: List of All Textual Differences Between the LXX and Masoretic
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »
1. One's in Hebrew, one's in Greek.

There's my contribution to the list. ;)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »

Also, do the users on OC.net ever use the Masoretic or do you all use the LXX exclusively?

Thanks in advance!

I only use English translations thereof, sorry.  ;)

From what I can tell from my largely useless formal religious education, the differences are largely overstated.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
  • Faith: Orthodox inquirer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 11:45:01 PM »

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure a such a list exists; it would probably be too unwieldy to be useful. For one, the number of differences is enormous; not all of them are really significant, but there are a lot. Another issue is that the textual history of the LXX is extremely varied; the critical apparati in the Göttingen or Cambridge LXX are dense reading themselves. In my own reading, I use both depending on what I'm doing. I also read the Peshitta, which is a fairly independent tradition.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 01:03:35 AM »
I've seeked one of those, but I didn't find any. I can tell, though, most differences are convergent. As an example, there is the famous double in Psalm 2 between "accept discipline" (LXX) and "kiss the Son" (MT). Those are different orders, but both make sense, and they don't contradict each other. Some variations are weird, though. Most notably, genealogical details and patriarchal lifespans. I don't know how to deal with that, but I tend to favour the Septuagint take. :P
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)