OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 02:53:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Guys, i am wondering....  (Read 494 times) Average Rating: 0
deacon Mikias(micah)

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox tewahdo church
Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox

Pray for us O you Saints

« on: October 26, 2012, 07:24:47 AM »

how do we understand Origen of Alexanderia; is he a heretic or not? coz there confusion about this. what is the Tradition of the oriental orthodoxy on this? God Bless!
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »

Wasn't he declared a heretic by an Alexandrian synod headed by Patriarch Theophilus?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:15:30 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
deacon Mikias(micah)

Pray for us O you Saints

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:33:43 AM »

i heard he was anathematized by the Alexandrian Patriarch Demetrius when he got ordained at Antioch. was he called ''heretic''?
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »

i heard he was anathematized by the Alexandrian Patriarch Demetrius when he got ordained at Antioch. was he called ''heretic''?

No. But Patriarch Theophilos of Alexandria did so in 401.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
deacon Mikias(micah)

Pray for us O you Saints

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:44:39 AM »

so u r telling me he wasn't called ''heretic''?
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »

so u r telling me he wasn't called ''heretic''?

No, he wasn't condemned for his heresies during his lifetime, that happened later. 401 for the OO (at least the Copts) and 553 for the EO.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:04:03 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Yes Patriarch Theophilos condemned Origen over a century before the Byzantine Fifth Council, so I understand that we in Oriental Orthodox, particularly Ethiopian Orthodox who shared Alexandria's history until 1959, also condemn Origen. 

A synodical letter should be sent to myself and the bishop of Constantinople and to any others whom you think fit; that by universal consent Origen himself may be expressly condemned and also the infamous heresy of which he was the author.
Patriarch Theophilos to Epiphanius

Theophilus, bishop, to the well-beloved and most loving brother, the presbyter Jerome. The reverend bishop Agatho with the well-beloved deacon Athanasius is accredited to you with tidings relating to the church. When you learn their import I feel no doubt but that you will approve my resolution and will exult in the church's victory. For we have cut down with the prophet's sickle Joel 3:13 certain wicked fanatics who were eager to sow broadcast in the monasteries of Nitria the heresy of Origen. We have remembered the warning words of the apostle, rebuke with all authority. Titus 2:15 Do you therefore on your part, as you hope to receive a share in this reward, make haste to bring back with scriptural discourses those who have been deceived. It is our desire, if possible, to guard in our days not only the Catholic faith and the rules of the church, but the people committed to our charge, and to give a quietus to all strange doctrines.
Patriarch Theophilos letter to Saint Jerome

However, as with the later condemnations of the 6th century, Alexandria's beef was more so with contemporary heretics rather than Origen himself.  Most of the anathemas were directed towards them, Origen was condemned to quell those heresies by delegitimizing the writings they used as the basis of their heresies. 

That Origen was condemned posthumously caused no shortage of controversy at the time, and even more so during the Fifth Council in the 540s.  Many fathers felt it was in poor taste and beyond their ecclesiastical authority to condemn dead folks, particularly since they have no ability to defend and explain themselves or further to recant or repent.  So many folks were quite upset about this condemnation.  However, other heresies contemporary to the 5th and 6th centuries were growing and abusing the more questionable writings and ideas either by Origen or attributed to him.  This is in reality what was a similar situation for Eutyches, his followers from his monastery were more adamantly teaching the heresies attributed to him.  This is why he recanted when confronted, and I understand was exonerated of his condemnations.  I can say that it is right to remove Origen from our canons because his writings can be obscure, abstract, and even confusing, but I'm not sure he should have been outright condemned as a heretic, as with Eutyches, we need to be more sure that it is in fact Origen himself that taught these things, and not folks who attributed such to his name.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags: Origen 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: