OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 09:02:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fear of future  (Read 547 times) Average Rating: 0
sunny

« on: October 26, 2012, 12:19:41 AM »

I am so terrified of the future and what might happen in the next year. We are unable to stockpile much food or water, and unable to move out of the city to the country where we might have more access to wildlife and water. There are 6 of us in the household with an adult who is ill and 3 small children.
I have tried to pray and exercise faith in God's provision, but still feel such panic that it makes sleep difficult and daily anxiety. Has the Lord spoken to anyone here about the future here in the U.S.? Does anyone have any words of encouragement or hope? No one around me seems concerned and the good folks in our Orthodox church don't think anything bad will happen.

Thank you for listening and oddly enough my name is Sunny, but I currently have no Sunny thoughts! Cry

NULL
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:21:22 AM »

What do you expect to happen in the next year?

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:41:16 AM »

Having some food and water is wise for any emergency—losing a job, natural disaster, etc. That is a responsible thing to do. But there are many who let this develop into a sort of panic.

Societies have collapsed and been destroyed. The church has weathered the worst.

St Isaac the Syrian reminds us that no child needs to ask his father for food every day. He knows his father will provide it. Still, Christ taught us to ask for our daily bread because of our weakness. But to paraphrase St Isaac: we must not insult God's faithfulness by worrying about it further than that.

Be wise and ensure you can provide for your family, but don't worry about what may happen. No good fruit can come from that tree. No amount of worrying can change anything, so do what you can in a reasonable manner and leave the rest in God's hands.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:16:48 AM »

There is nothing you can do. The future is in God's hands. We don't know if we're going to make it or not, or how things are going to be. There are signs of the times, but that's different. All we have for certain is Faith that God is working all things for the best of us, for our souls -- most importantly. So, abandon all fears and desires, accept the situation as it is, and you will be free, even if you end up on a cross; that's how Christ defeated the world. The truth sets us free! I mean, if there's nothing you can do about something, and you have no desires of your own, but surrender yourself to God, then, at least, it's not your fault for anything that happens. Sorry, there is no pretty answer to this, but there is infinite hope in God. The closer we get to God, the more He will heal us from sin, the more fear will disappear and we will be able to say: "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me".

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 06:43:48 AM »

Well, God has not spoken to me, not at least in the miraculous sense of the expression.

But I do have an interest in economics and politics.

The US  is going through a rough time now. But it feels worse than it is. It's like a crew that happened to not be in a storm for some years. When it faces one for the first time, people are unprepared and it feels like the perfect storm, but it is not. The storm is there, no doubt, but weaker ships have been through it. It is just a "normal" storm, only that they didn't have any in quite some time. The country will survive, I'm sure and it still will be one of the top powers in the world.

The common folk will face hardships in the meantime. There is simply not pretending it won't happen. People will have to adapt. Circumstances will change,  lifestyles will change. It will be a time to get into deeper self-analysis and learn how you can still be yourself even if the circumstances around you are not the ones you had imagined. In times of prosperity people tend to think that only "loosers" have to go through sorrows and tragedies, for their own "wrong" choices. This is so wrong. What is happening around us plays a big role in this and a lot of good people who make good choices have to live with losses and sad things despite their own decisions. When prosperity is gone, it's time to adapt, to find new ways. Trust in God is not a trust that He will take away the troubles, but that He will be with us even as we go through the troubles. It is as that gospel song says:

NOW LORD DON'T MOVE MY MOUNTAIN
BUT GIVE ME THE STRENGTH TO CLIMB
AND LORD, DON'T TAKE AWAY MY STUMBLING BLOCKS
BUT LEAD ME ALL AROUND
http://www.allgospellyrics.com/?sec=listing&lyricid=2851
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jusAnLIFE3k
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:44:44 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:35:12 AM »

Sunny,
Forgive me, but I must ask, are you spending time reading websites that would fall into the conspiracy theory realm?  Alex Jones type of stuff?  If not, are you still spending lots of time focused on the television news channels and news websites?  If either or both are true I would recommend taking a break and not giving any time and energy to those things.  Those types of media are designed to create unrest so that you are compelled to keep watching or reading for the next update.

KBN
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:35:49 AM by KBN1 » Logged
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »

Sunny,
Forgive me, but I must ask, are you spending time reading websites that would fall into the conspiracy theory realm?  Alex Jones type of stuff?  If not, are you still spending lots of time focused on the television news channels and news websites?  If either or both are true I would recommend taking a break and not giving any time and energy to those things.  Those types of media are designed to create unrest so that you are compelled to keep watching or reading for the next update.

KBN

This is good advice.

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »

There is nothing wrong with being prudent. It is a concern if you find yourself thinking constantly about what could go wrong or if you are constantly afraid.

I have a sort of enlightened fatalism, if you will. I do my best to be prudent and prepare, and leave the rest up to God. What will be will be.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 05:23:31 PM »

Keep your eyes on the ultimate goal - your salvation and the safekeeping of your soul.

Whatever befalls us, whatever hardships, famines, diseases, illnesses, wars, pestilence, etc....all these can destroy our physical bodies, but, can't touch our souls, if we don't let them.

We need to be more concerned over the state of our souls than our bodies. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
sunny

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »

I thank everyone for your words of encouragement and wisdom. The doomsday prepper shows are terrifying and even though I only saw 2 of them they stayed with me. Perhaps rehearsing prayers will help me to try to get them out of my mind-especially since I can not make preparations as those people have. God led us back into an urban area to take care of our family and my biggest concern is for the little ones, and wanting to be faithful to the end and not paralyzed by fear. I have a difficult neurological condition that makes my system jittery to start with and any little anxiety hits me like a flood.
Again, thank you for your very helpful words, I will read them over and over.
May God's mercy be with all of us-

NULL
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »

The one who said this:

"And there shall be great earthquakes in divers places, and pestilences, and famines, and terrors from heaven; and there shall be great signs. [12] But before all these things, they will lay their hands upon you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and into prisons, dragging you before kings and governors, for my name's sake...And you shall be betrayed by your parents and brethren, and kinsmen and friends; and some of you they will put to death. [17] And you shall be hated by all men for my name's sake. [18] But a hair of your head shall not perish. [19] In your patience you shall possess your souls. [20] And when you shall see Jerusalem compassed about with an army; then know that the desolation thereof is at hand.

[21] Then let those who are in Judea, flee to the mountains; and those who are in the midst thereof, depart out: and those who are in the countries, not enter into it. [22] For these are the days of vengeance, that all things may be fulfilled, that are written. [23] But woe to them that are with child, and give suck in those days; for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people. [24] And they shall fall by the edge of the sword; and shall be led away captives into all nations; and Jerusalem shall be trodden down by the Gentiles; till the times of the nations be fulfilled. [25] And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, by reason of the confusion of the roaring of the sea and of the waves;

[26] Men withering away for fear, and expectation of what shall come upon the whole world. For the powers of heaven shall be moved;" (Luke 21)

Also said, "Do not be afraid" and "Lo, I am with you always, even to the close of the age."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »

I am so terrified of the future and what might happen in the next year. We are unable to stockpile much food or water, and unable to move out of the city to the country where we might have more access to wildlife and water. There are 6 of us in the household with an adult who is ill and 3 small children.
I have tried to pray and exercise faith in God's provision, but still feel such panic that it makes sleep difficult and daily anxiety. Has the Lord spoken to anyone here about the future here in the U.S.? Does anyone have any words of encouragement or hope? No one around me seems concerned and the good folks in our Orthodox church don't think anything bad will happen.

Thank you for listening and oddly enough my name is Sunny, but I currently have no Sunny thoughts! Cry

We are preparing for somewhat the end times, but also first for a huge economic collapse here in the United States.  We believe that there will be full loss of services and access to food.  We also believe eventually the dollar with become worthless paper, as the elites of the world switch us to a one world currency.

I have not had God speak to me about these things, but I do feel it at the core of my spirit.  Also many people that I know who have like beliefs on this issue, are also reacting and getting ready.

If you can't make it out:

Stock:
Water
Food
Silver
Firearms/Ammo
Durable goods

You are welcome to speak to me in PM if you want to, but I'd love to know the basis on what you are preparing for.

Remember what our God said though "Do not worry".

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »

We are preparing for somewhat the end times, but also first for a huge economic collapse here in the United States.  We believe that there will be full loss of services and access to food.  We also believe eventually the dollar with become worthless paper, as the elites of the world switch us to a one world currency.

Will this be before or after President Obama sends in UN troops?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »

Like many others, my friends and I have been stockpiling on necessities for when society collapses after Obama is reelected.  Here is a picture of us getting ready:

It'll be a blast!

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »

Be still my dog of war, I understand your pain.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: