OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Greatest Threat to Mankind?  (Read 5295 times) Average Rating: 0
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2013, 07:14:15 PM »

Competition for resources, especially water.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2013, 04:22:39 AM »

I'm changing my vote to fish tacos. Nothing good can come of them.

Time for a new thread to debate the merits of fish tacos. You are wrong on this one!  Wink

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »

The Sun is about 4.5 billion years old. it has used up about half of its nuclear fuel (hydrogen). In about 5 billion years from now, the sun will begin to die. As the Sun grows old, it will expand. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core will contact and the outer layers will expand, cool, and become less bright. It will become a red giant star and consume earth.  Anyone residing on earth will be toasted.

This is my greatest concern regarding the future of mankind. 5 billion years will be here before you know it.  We need to start preparing now.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »

Greatest threat to Mankind?  Mankind, of course.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »

The Sun is about 4.5 billion years old. it has used up about half of its nuclear fuel (hydrogen). In about 5 billion years from now, the sun will begin to die. As the Sun grows old, it will expand. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core will contact and the outer layers will expand, cool, and become less bright. It will become a red giant star and consume earth.  Anyone residing on earth will be toasted.

This is my greatest concern regarding the future of mankind. 5 billion years will be here before you know it.  We need to start preparing now.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
AV

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »

Hubris.

Christianity; The perfect message delivered by imperfect messengers.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2013, 01:36:27 PM »

Time for a new thread to debate the merits of fish tacos. You are wrong on this one!  Wink

Selam

Indeed. When properly made, with a nice soft tortilla for instance, they can be quite tasty.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »

The Sun is about 4.5 billion years old. it has used up about half of its nuclear fuel (hydrogen). In about 5 billion years from now, the sun will begin to die. As the Sun grows old, it will expand. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core will contact and the outer layers will expand, cool, and become less bright. It will become a red giant star and consume earth.  Anyone residing on earth will be toasted.

This is my greatest concern regarding the future of mankind. 5 billion years will be here before you know it.  We need to start preparing now.

I sometimes worry about this kind of thing as well, or how much we will be impacted by Andromeda slamming into the Milky Way. But then I figure, from where we are now, if we haven't progressed enough in a few thousand years, let alone billions, to save our hides, then we probably don't deserve to make it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:18:11 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »

This has already been covered fella!

Remember when Mankind came out and decimated the undertaker when he first came in? Yeah, I was marking out for that. Who could seriously take out Taker?

Have a nice day!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
therovingmethodist

Faith: Catecuhmen
Jurisdiction: OCA

A very bad Christian

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »

Modernity.

Of course I think the world has been going downhill at an escalating rate since 1054.

"One Bishop to rule them all, One Bishop to find them, One Bishop to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
-Kostac
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »

Modernity.

Of course I think the world has been going downhill at an escalating rate since 1054.

The only thing that has escalated is the population, which in turn affects the rate of all else, which is no better than what happened in the old and new testaments, just more of the same.

Modernity has not really changed us in the ways that matter to our souls, many think the we are so different from Jesus time, and it really is not true when it comes to basic facts, even evolution theory agrees it takes millions of years to effect any noticeable change in any way that most people think,

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Incognito777
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »

The greatest threat to mankind are the global elitists, and the Illuminati satanists. These people are a bunch of psychopaths, and want to kill us all. They intend to reduce the world population down to about five million. Wake up now before it is too late.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »

Modernity.

lol

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »

Modernity.
Well it is further making God irrelevant. Dostoevsky might be right, when Christ has His Second Coming we wouldn't even know it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2013, 04:33:59 AM »

+1

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2013, 04:37:56 AM »

Selam

Indeed. When properly made, with a nice soft tortilla for instance, they can be quite tasty.

Fish tacos are a west coast thing. I'm a southerner, and apart from the time I spent in Mexico I have never had fish tacos here. Until now! Yes! Some Mexicans just opened up an authentic Mexican restaurant here in Jackson, Mississippi, and they sell delicious authentic fish tacos!  Smiley Soft corn tortillas, cilantro, avocado, lime, salsa, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and Tilapia. I'm so happy!!!

Selam

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2013, 07:49:42 AM »

Mahi Mahi taco with a cilantro cucumber sauce.  Mmm Mmm!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »

The greatest threat to mankind are the global elitists, and the Illuminati satanists. These people are a bunch of psychopaths, and want to kill us all. They intend to reduce the world population down to about five million. Wake up now before it is too late.
From any other poster, I would assume this is a joke, but here, I'm not so sure.  You are joking, right Incognito?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »

Mahi Mahi taco with a cilantro cucumber sauce.  Mmm Mmm!

Please...post fishy taco posts in the Fish Tacos thread!!  police police Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Or, are you making a hideous, nasty insinuation that the Mahi Mahi taco is mankind's yummiest threat?  Shocked

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »

From any other poster, I would assume this is a joke, but here, I'm not so sure.  You are joking, right Incognito?

I'm sure it's just a fish taco deficiency that is causing his outburst.

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2013, 10:02:17 AM »

To me the greatest threat would be the systematic kicking out of God out of public and even private life and replacement with sin and extreme (suicidal) abnormality.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »

I laughed out loud if that counts for anything

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: