OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:09:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Greatest Threat to Mankind?  (Read 4864 times) Average Rating: 0
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »

I would have thought that the lack of clean drinking water would have been worse, but oh well.

Well, at first I was going to put the +1 on Mivac's post about man's adorable little serial killers (c.f., http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill). Then I got more serious and thought about greed for a while. Then I got even more serious and decided that the absence of compassion is a source of greed. Then I had to give up, being serious is seriously depressing. If I am depressed your taxes are going to waste because I cannot solve problems in an efficient manner when I get the oc.net blues.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 11:58:12 AM »

Enviromental problems.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »

I would have thought that the lack of clean drinking water would have been worse, but oh well.

Well, at first I was going to put the +1 on Mivac's post about man's adorable little serial killers (c.f., http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill). Then I got more serious and thought about greed for a while. Then I got even more serious and decided that the absence of compassion is a source of greed. Then I had to give up, being serious is seriously depressing. If I am depressed your taxes are going to waste because I cannot solve problems in an efficient manner when I get the oc.net blues.

Cats are the least of our worries.  Kittens are so cute and adorable that every time I pick one up and cuddle it my usual misanthropic desires diminish.  

I would comment on the rest but I don't want my tax dollars to go to waste so I will leave it at kittens so that your mood should hopefully go up thereby increasing your efficiency.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:25:55 PM by vamrat » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 01:43:38 PM »

Are you sure? It seems like moral relativism might actually solve many of our problems. Most wars and conflicts are started precisely because of moral objectivism, leading each side to believe that they are correct and that the other is wrong, causing them to fight.

Major wars aren't fought on the basis of right and wrong, but for the sake of exploitation. "I'm bigger than you, I want what you have, I'm going to take it." Sounds like a lack of morals to me.

Opposition to war and conflict, however, tends to be based on moral objectivism.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:51:12 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Quote from: vamrat
Nuclear weapons as they are are not all that effective in state-on-state conflict. 

There are a bunch of Japanese people who would like to argue with you.

If they hadn't blown all their nuclear physicists to kingdom come perhaps it is us who would be disagreeing with the alternate universe vamrat-san.  But alas...

Or if the blockheads hadn't been gassing their Jews perhaps they'd have had Einstein and we'd be disagreeing with Herr Sturmbannfuhrer Vamrat.

As it is, they tried using bayonets vs fat man and little boy.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Since you chose to use a look of derision rather than state a counterpoint I have to assume that you are unaware that the Germans and Japanese did naughty things in WWII, not just the US.  I understand that we had a hobby of cooking civilians alive with various sorts of bombs, but you should look up The Rape of Nanking and German actions against Partisans on both fronts. 

Next lesson will be on how GULAGs were not drum circles.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »

Trans-humanism/Genetic Engineering

As our technological capabilities continue to increase, I fear that we may fall into the temptation of playing God with our own genes. That is, altering our humanity in an embryonic state. Imagine class divisions on unprecedented scales. Not via wealth, race, nationality, but predetermined conditions and artificially managed genes. Such a dystopic future does not even require a Brave New World-esque totalitarian regime. Effectively, some people will be able to afford to have their children genetically engineered for biological perfection (supreme intelligence, strength, stamina, etc.), while the rest of society will be operating on human 1.0. The following generation's divisions will be only more severe as the genetically engineered humans will completely and totally dominate the elite strata of society.

As "sci-fi-sh" as it may sound, it seems to be a possibility given rapid technological advancement. The worst part is that it doesn't destroy life, but alters it in nightmarish ways. It divides the human race into multiple species.

Creepy.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »

The more I thought about the original question, the more clear the answer became. The greatest threat to mankind is what it always has been - mans inhumanity to mankind and our inherent hubris. Either or both have gotten us into trouble since the days of Paradise.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Nuclear weapons as they are are not all that effective in state-on-state conflict. 

If they hadn't blown all their nuclear physicists to kingdom come perhaps it is us who would be disagreeing with the alternate universe vamrat-san.  But alas...

Or if the blockheads hadn't been gassing their Jews perhaps they'd have had Einstein and we'd be disagreeing with Herr Sturmbannfuhrer Vamrat.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Since you chose to use a look of derision rather than state a counterpoint I have to assume that you are unaware that the Germans and Japanese did naughty things in WWII, not just the US.  I understand that we had a hobby of cooking civilians alive with various sorts of bombs, but you should look up The Rape of Nanking and German actions against Partisans on both fronts. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

No no!  I'm being totally cereal!  I know the Nazis had super awesome uniforms and were like totally the hipsters of the early/mid 20th century, but they did do some naughty things.  You just gotta read about it!  The Japanese too.  I mean, they totally had an anime army and used that awesome flag and such, but they did lot's of mean things too!  Just ask the Chinese!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »

My family tells me that the Japanese were very nice when they weren't decapitating or raping people.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

stay blessed,
habte selassie

No no!  I'm being totally cereal!  I know the Nazis had super awesome uniforms and were like totally the hipsters of the early/mid 20th century, but they did do some naughty things.  You just gotta read about it!  The Japanese too.  I mean, they totally had an anime army and used that awesome flag and such, but they did lot's of mean things too!  Just ask the Chinese!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »

Greatest threat to mankind: Mankind lacking love & mercy

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

stay blessed,
habte selassie

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »

My family tells me that the Japanese were very nice when they weren't decapitating or raping people.

Did they tell you what Master whitey did to the bad slave who wanted freedom too.

Or how Orientals were treated in The west, after they built the railroad for us.

Course the Indians would attest to the integrity of the people who live here .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:50:14 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »

Did they tell you what Master whitey did to the bad slave who wanted freedom too.

Or how Orientals were treated in The west, after they built the railroad for us.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here. Yes, whitey will pay.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »

Zombies, obviously. And ones that learn and adapt quickly.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »

The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »

The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

I cannot express how much I sincerely look forward to reading your dystopian epic novel. Godspeed in writing it.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2012, 07:47:32 PM »

Sorry, in this case I'm plagiarizing. It's from the opening to "Call of Cthulhu." Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:47:55 PM by Iconodule » Logged

Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »

Zombies, obviously. And ones that learn and adapt quickly.

O man why didn't I say that
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »

a low point for civilization:

Proverbs 22:7
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 12:19:51 AM »

I made my first Isa sized post, and no one notices. Sad

I'm just seeing this thread now, but I totally noticed. I LOLed. I LOLed a lot. A few of my favorite parts:

You may be thinking, "If we get a time machine, and realize it will destroy the universe, then all we'd have to do is travel back in time and destroy the time machine! Easy!". But then...if we destroyed the time machine, then we wouldn't be able to go back in time... so the machine would remain intact, in which case we could use it to go back and... Look, we don't know. Screw science.

Totally reminded me of this part of The Time Machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqusBSK2B0

Nevertheless, scientists are pretty sure they can contain their Big Bang in an erlenmeyer flask, just so long as they remember to cork it.

Experts assure us that based on everything we know about science, the chances of doom are fairly slim. Experts also say LHC will change everything we know about science.

Good stuff.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »

I made my first Isa sized post, and no one notices. Sad

I had not noticed.  I was too busy trying to convince Habte the Japanese did in fact commit war crimes in WWII.   Tongue

But I have read it now.

Basically, your post turned the area of my desk into a Hadron Lol Collider.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »

THE GREYS

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »

I'm just seeing this thread now, but I totally noticed. I LOLed. I LOLed a lot.

But I have read it now.

Basically, your post turned the area of my desk into a Hadron Lol Collider.

Thank you! Recognition! Grin

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »

I was too busy trying to convince Habte the Japanese did in fact commit war crimes in WWII.   Tongue

stay blessed,
habte selassie

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »

I was too busy trying to convince Habte the Japanese did in fact commit war crimes in WWII.   Tongue

stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:20:06 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »

After reading some of the comments about Star Wars, could the acquisition of Lucasfilms by Disney be THE threat???  Wink Wink Wink
A Slice Of Life

Jurisdiction: Uncharted Waters.

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2012, 07:58:55 AM »

I think the greatest threat to mankind is man's constant inner struggle with his being.

We've a duality in our nature that has us create and perform great works of beauty and wonder. Yet we've still got people dying by the millions over hunger, disease and acts of violence stemmed from Racism and tribalism.

It's a tricky one, but we are in danger of painting ourselves into a corner, if we haven't already.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:59:22 AM by A Slice Of Life » Logged

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »

The Greatest Threat to Mankind?

The greatest threat to mankind is mankind
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:07:44 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2012, 03:17:30 AM »

Good one. You should copyright this!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »

Our very own G2V star could be quite a serious danger
laconicstudent
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »

Ah, so you mean the Great Lord Cthulhu.

For today I think I'm going with diseases. Maybe extremely drug-resistant tuberculosis or polio or something like that. Heaven's knows as long as people don't follow their doctor's orders about their antibiotic therapy, and we keep prescribing the really hard stuff like vancomycin like candy, pathogens will continually evolve. And the anti-medicine crowd that keeps doing its best to convince people to not get vaccinated will continue to cause epidemics of lethal and yet totally preventable diseases.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »

Cooties

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2012, 12:00:37 AM »

Gentlemen:

I am.

Sincerely,

G. K. Chesterton Justin Alan Kolodziej, Sr.

Seriously, though: Sin. Including mine of course.

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
jayjay

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »

Mankind.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »

Reformed Egyptian

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »

Cyrillic.

On a OC.net diet.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »

Yes, I imaging the Indian Orthodox who built the railroads would be great character witnesses.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »

Cyrillic.

Spelled like that, sure.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2012, 05:12:51 AM »

Cooties
laugh
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2012, 05:15:34 AM »

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2013, 03:16:01 AM »

Greatest threat to mankind: Moral relativism.

i agree, well at least that it is one of the greatest threats

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:56 AM »

Womankind.

No, srsly.

angel

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2013, 06:58:31 PM »

I'm changing my vote to fish tacos. Nothing good can come of them.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: