OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 11:55:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Generous Are You?  (Read 387 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: October 25, 2012, 04:10:51 AM »

Answer honestly, how generous do you believe that you are with your money? Do you give your money to charity, specific causes/people and/or your Church? If so, how much do you give and are you happy with it? The reason I ask is because I have been reading St. John Chrysostom's homilies lately where the good Saint constantly urges people to give charitably to the poor, and it led to my own self-examination.

I try to be as generous as possible with my money. I believe that poverty is the worst evil in the world and that every other act of wickedness is rooted in poverty. People steal things because of their poverty, they commit rape because the sexual pleasure alleviates their pain from the poverty, people develop addictions because of their poverty that causes them so much anguish. People die because they get involved in crime, violent drug dealings and/or other dangerous activities precisely because of their poverty. I know this first hand, and nothing saddens my heart more than when I see a poor person, especially another poor Mexican. I make about $200 a month, and of that I usually donate $50-$80 of it to either my Church, random homeless people I see in front of stores and/or to my jar of $370 which I plan to donate to a good cause at the end of the year.

How much are we supposed to give? And how are we supposed to give it? Is it more important to give my money to my Church or to the poor? I have noticed an odd paradox when it comes to money and donations. I've noticed that the more money I donate, the more money I somehow end up receiving from God in the long run. For example, one time I donated $10 even though I really needed it, and the very next day, God unexpectedly blessed me with $20. Yet, when I make more money, I find that it becomes harder to be charitable and give, because the greed factor becomes stronger within me when I have more money. This is why I usually try to make my donations right when I receive my money, before the greed factor comes in and starts to tempt me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:15:18 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:40:11 AM »

People ... commit rape because the sexual pleasure alleviates their pain from the poverty

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »

People ... commit rape because the sexual pleasure alleviates their pain from the poverty

My thoughts exactly. Lips Sealed

Forgive my sins.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »

Answer honestly, how generous do you believe that you are with your money? Do you give your money to charity, specific causes/people and/or your Church? If so, how much do you give and are you happy with it? The reason I ask is because I have been reading St. John Chrysostom's homilies lately where the good Saint constantly urges people to give charitably to the poor, and it led to my own self-examination.

I try to be as generous as possible with my money. I believe that poverty is the worst evil in the world and that every other act of wickedness is rooted in poverty. People steal things because of their poverty, they commit rape because the sexual pleasure alleviates their pain from the poverty, people develop addictions because of their poverty that causes them so much anguish. People die because they get involved in crime, violent drug dealings and/or other dangerous activities precisely because of their poverty. I know this first hand, and nothing saddens my heart more than when I see a poor person, especially another poor Mexican. I make about $200 a month, and of that I usually donate $50-$80 of it to either my Church, random homeless people I see in front of stores and/or to my jar of $370 which I plan to donate to a good cause at the end of the year.

How much are we supposed to give? And how are we supposed to give it? Is it more important to give my money to my Church or to the poor? I have noticed an odd paradox when it comes to money and donations. I've noticed that the more money I donate, the more money I somehow end up receiving from God in the long run. For example, one time I donated $10 even though I really needed it, and the very next day, God unexpectedly blessed me with $20. Yet, when I make more money, I find that it becomes harder to be charitable and give, because the greed factor becomes stronger within me when I have more money. This is why I usually try to make my donations right when I receive my money, before the greed factor comes in and starts to tempt me.

I do give to my Church and to other organizations, but I never feel that it is enough.

While poverty is a sad and unfortunate thing, your conclusions are not necessarily true. There are many people who are poor who don't commit crimes.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »

I believe that poverty is the worst evil in the world and that every other act of wickedness is rooted in poverty. People steal things because of their poverty, they commit rape because the sexual pleasure alleviates their pain from the poverty, people develop addictions because of their poverty that causes them so much anguish. People die because they get involved in crime, violent drug dealings and/or other dangerous activities precisely because of their poverty

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »

Not generous enough. And I won't ever be generous enough until, God willingl, I reach heaven.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »

I admit it, I am not giving enough with money.  I am pretty stingy in some cases even.  My sin lives with me, and through God and repentance, I hope to get past this.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Føroyingar

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Moscow (When I make a trip to Iceland)

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »

I don't think telling others about your generosity is good. Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: