OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:28:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSPX expels Bishop Williamson  (Read 5155 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »

Tradition will never slip into irrelevance.

True tradition won't.  Thus, the SSPX will slip into irrelevance.
Without men like +Williamson it will.

Bishop Williamson is the greatest reason why not to take the SSPX seriously.  I have yet to meet someone form the SSPX to even make me think about what they teach and do.  In fact, the only thing the SSPX has led me to think about is the validity of teachings of the Catholic Church, themselves included.  While I was never a Traditionalist, the SSPX has played a good part in pushing me towards Orthodoxy.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »

Bishop Williamson is the greatest reason why not to take the SSPX seriously.  I have yet to meet someone form the SSPX to even make me think about what they teach and do.  In fact, the only thing the SSPX has led me to think about is the validity of teachings of the Catholic Church, themselves included.  While I was never a Traditionalist, the SSPX has played a good part in pushing me towards Orthodoxy.

moi aussi.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »

moi aussi.

And me. I have found that traditionalists are very good at getting me to see the problems with neo-conservative Catholicism (e.g. Peter W. Miller's A Brief Defense of Traditionalism, but not as good with respective to offering an alternative.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
choy
Archon

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2012, 04:40:27 PM »

And me. I have found that traditionalists are very good at getting me to see the problems with neo-conservative Catholicism (e.g. Peter W. Miller's A Brief Defense of Traditionalism, but not as good with respective to offering an alternative.

I believe they are the same problem packaged differently.  They have the externals that are appealing to those disenfranchised by the modernization of the Roman Church, but their spirituality is just as bad.  I haven't met an SSPXer who has argued well for Traditionalism (maybe the book you linked does, I don't know).  Every rhetoric and polemic is out of hubris.  You wouldn't hear anything but "we're right, you're wrong."  I've even had one ultra trad tell me that Orthodox are heretic schismatics whose god is Satan, and that Eastern Catholics are nothing more than half-way houses that proves how wrong the modern ecumenist mindset is.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »

Sooo, what were you then, a Modernist? Are you still? You say you never met someone in Tradition to make you even think about it yet it is this very tradition that caused you to wonder about the validity of Church teachings and now you are seeking answers from Eastern schismatics. All this while condemning a great man like Bishop Williamson who now stands alone in resisting the errors in Rome.

Strange days indeed.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »

Sooo, what were you then, a Modernist? Are you still? You say you never met someone in Tradition to make you even think about it yet it is this very tradition that caused you to wonder about the validity of Church teachings and now you are seeking answers from Eastern schismatics. All this while condemning a great man like Bishop Williamson who now stands alone in resisting the errors in Rome.

Strange days indeed.
Oh geesh, it's Bishop Williamson against the world. rrrrrrrrrrright.  Roll Eyes

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »

Martel, why don't you come home inside? It must be terribly lonely out there to be the lone last proper Christian. We have cozy beards and baklava!

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2012, 05:23:54 PM »

and now you are seeking answers from Eastern schismatics.

An SSPX supporter calling someone else a schismatic? The irony!

PS: it was the west which schismed from the east, not the other way around.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:24:54 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »

Martel, why don't you come home inside? It must be terribly lonely out there to be the lone last proper Christian. We have cozy beards and baklava!
Baklava most defintely, but you can keep those scruffy beards.  Grin

Thanks for the offer anyway.  Wink

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »

Sooo, what were you then, a Modernist? Are you still? You say you never met someone in Tradition to make you even think about it yet it is this very tradition that caused you to wonder about the validity of Church teachings and now you are seeking answers from Eastern schismatics. All this while condemning a great man like Bishop Williamson who now stands alone in resisting the errors in Rome

Strange days indeed.
Oh geesh, it's Bishop Williamson against the world. rrrrrrrrrrright.  Roll Eyes
Not really, but mostly a few fanatical Modernists and Judaizers in and out of the Vatican.

I'm sure the rest of the world would support +Williamson given the facts.

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »

and now you are seeking answers from Eastern schismatics.

An SSPX supporter calling someone else a schismatic? The irony!

PS: it was the west which schismed from the east, not the other way around.
Um, yea, sure they did, if you say so.

And it was post VII Rome that parted with Tradition, not the other way around.

choy
Archon

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »

Strange days indeed.

You can say I am a true Traditionalist.  I am looking for something more traditional than Trent, which is only 500 years ago.  I think that is one of the biggest holes of Traditional Roman Catholicism and the SSPX, to claim tradition and yet only go as far back as 500 years ago.  It is as if the Church never existed in the First Millennium.  Something that is very clear when you look at Orthodoxy.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2012, 07:39:54 PM »

All this while condemning a great man like Bishop Williamson who now stands alone in resisting the errors in Rome.

Hmmm, I think you just inadvertently disclosed your real identity to us.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »

Wrong. It was post-1014 AD Rome which parted with Tradition.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:08:56 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
choy
Archon

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »

Ooohhh burn!
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »

All this while condemning a great man like Bishop Williamson who now stands alone in resisting the errors in Rome.

Huh

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »

Strange days indeed.

You can say I am a true Traditionalist.  I am looking for something more traditional than Trent, which is only 500 years ago.  I think that is one of the biggest holes of Traditional Roman Catholicism and the SSPX, to claim tradition and yet only go as far back as 500 years ago.  It is as if the Church never existed in the First Millennium.  Something that is very clear when you look at Orthodoxy.
No. No. I'm more traditional than you, and my dad is more traditional than your dad!  Wink

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »

The topic here is  the good Bishop's expulsion from the SSPX, not the Eastern Schisim of 1054.

Let's try and stay focused here.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »

Which bishop?

-Samuel Coleridge
choy
Archon

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »

Which bishop?

The one in the subject you silly  Tongue
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »

Strange days indeed.

No. No. I'm more traditional than you, and my dad is more traditional than your dad!  Wink
Funny you mention that because  the word pope is Latin for papa (father). Wink

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »

Which bishop?
Take a wild guess Einstein.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »

Huh

Well, your screenname here says Charles Martel, not Williamson; but if you weren't Bishop Williamson there's no way you would say that he "stands alone in resisting the errors in Rome".

choy
Archon

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »

Do you pray Pope Noster?
choy
Archon

« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »

Well, your screenname here says Charles Martel, not Williamson; but if you weren't Bishop Williamson there's no way you would say that he "stands alone in resisting the errors in Rome".

Are you saying that Bishop Williamson is trolling in OC.net?  Huh police
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »

Do you pray Pope Noster?
Pater noster qui est in caelis.

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »

Huh

You know what I'm getting at, no need for semantics.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »

Do you pray Pope Noster?

Wikipedia says "pope (from Latin: papa ...)".

So I guess we could say that "pope" is English for papa. Wink

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »

Do you pray Pope Noster?
Ecclesiastical Latin that is.......

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »

Do you pray Pope Noster?
que?

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »

Which bishop?

Are we assuming Williamson is a bishop now? That's a point I wouldn't conceed.

-Samuel Coleridge
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »

Isn't coelis ecclesiastical latin for caelis?

-Samuel Coleridge
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »

Which bishop?

We Catholics believe he is a bishop, just not a bishop in good standing.

choy
Archon

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »

Which bishop?

Latin Sacramental theology states that the mark of ordination is indelible and someone outside the Church retains their ordination.  A priest is still a priest, a bishop is still a bishop, and they can perform Sacraments validly but illicitly as they are outside the Church.  The Sacraments are at the command of the priests and bishops, not something that is bound to the Church itself.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised.

-Samuel Coleridge
choy
Archon

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised.

Why here?  CAF would be a better place for him Wink
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised.

I imagine he's been banned there at least 9000 times. The mods on the traditional catholicism subforum are tough as iron.

-Samuel Coleridge
choy
Archon

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »

I imagine he's been banned there at least 9000 times. The mods on the traditional catholicism subforum are tough as iron.

In fairness though, I do know someone who speaks as higly about Bishop Williamson and he is not Bishop Williamson.  He does have quite a following within the SSPX.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »

Having read quite a bit of Traditionalist (the Latin variant) forums, I think they're quite obsessed with apparitions and private revelations.

-Samuel Coleridge
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2012, 04:04:39 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised.

Actually, not all traditionalists like the traditional-wing of CAF -- in much the same way that not all Eastern Catholics like the eastern-wing of CAF.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »

The topic here is  the good Bishop's expulsion from the SSPX, not the Eastern Schisim of 1054.

I see what you did there

-Samuel Coleridge
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »

I see what you did there
22 posts later and now   the light  goes off.......not much gets by you eh?  Grin

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »

Which bishop?

Would you even concede Benedict being the Bishop of Rome?

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2012, 05:15:25 PM »

The topic here is  the good Bishop's expulsion from the SSPX, not the Eastern Schisim of 1054.

I see what you did there
22 posts later and now   the light  goes off.......not much gets by you eh?  Grin

I'm very slow.

Would you even concede Benedict being the Bishop of Rome?

I'm one of those hipster sedevacantists.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:15:34 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »

Do you pray Pope Noster?
que?
And what?

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: