Author Topic: Is the Eucharist an Atoning Sacrifice from the Orthodox POV Like in RCism?  (Read 699 times)

Offline Severian

• Aspiring Allopathic Ankle Orthodontist
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
?

(5 characters)
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

May the 21 new martyrs pray for us all.

Please, remember me in your prayers

Lord, protect Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq.

Offline Severian

• Aspiring Allopathic Ankle Orthodontist
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
Re: Is the Eucharist an Atoning Sacrifice from the Orthodox POV Like in RCism?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:36:33 AM »
Yes, it is. I guess if anyone wants to provide some sources regarding the issue, they can. :)
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

May the 21 new martyrs pray for us all.

Please, remember me in your prayers

Lord, protect Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:08:32 AM »
Is the Eucharist a Sacrifice? Yes.

Is the Eucharist an anoting sacrifice like in RCism? I'm not sure. The Catholic version seems a lot more developed than the Orthodox version so I'm not sure whether it's exactly the same.

Yes, it is. I guess if anyone wants to provide some sources regarding the issue, they can. :)

Canon of Sarum mass:

Therefore, most gracious Father, through Jesus Christ Thy Son our Lord, we humbly beseech Thee and we desire that Thou accept and bless these gifts, these things Thou gavest us, these holy unspotted sacrifices, which we offer Thee, first, for Thy Holy Catholic Church...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:26:27 AM by Alpo »

Offline Cantor Krishnich

• High Elder
  • Mar Ahmed the Daftadar
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »
Is the Eucharist a Sacrifice? Yes.

Is the Eucharist an anoting sacrifice like in RCism? I'm not sure. The Catholic version seems a lot more developed than the Orthodox version so I'm not sure whether it's exactly the same.

Canon of Sarum mass:

Therefore, most gracious Father, through Jesus Christ Thy Son our Lord, we humbly beseech Thee and we desire that Thou accept and bless these gifts, these things Thou gavest us, these holy unspotted sacrifices, which we offer Thee, first, for Thy Holy Catholic Church...

The Catholics got their mass from us so it couldnt be more developed!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:36:19 AM by Cantor Krishnich »
Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »

The Canon I quoted was not Catholic but Orthodox. Also, I'm not sure whether RCs have developed their theology beyond just the text of the mass.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »
Atonement is reconciliation between God and human. Any sacrifice is an atonement.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
  • Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »

The Canon I quoted was not Catholic but Orthodox. Also, I'm not sure whether RCs have developed their theology beyond just the text of the mass.

It's the Roman Canon (translated into English), which predates the Schism and we used up until about 1970 when a bunch of guys came up with a bunch of shorter ones containing the essential (for us) "This is my Body...This is my Blood" plus an explicit epiklesis, minus much mention of a sacrifice, trying to appease everyone else. That's a different topic altogether though...

In Catholic theological terms, the Eucharist is the unbloody re-presentation, maybe better yet anamnesis of the once for all sacrifice of Our Lord Jesus Christ on the Cross at Calvary. So not an atoning sacrifice, the Atoning Sacrifice.

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Latin Church
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »

It's the Roman Canon (translated into English), which predates the Schism and we used up until about 1970 when a bunch of guys came up with a bunch of shorter ones containing the essential (for us) "This is my Body...This is my Blood" plus an explicit epiklesis, minus much mention of a sacrifice, trying to appease everyone else. That's a different topic altogether though...

In Catholic theological terms, the Eucharist is the unbloody re-presentation, maybe better yet anamnesis of the once for all sacrifice of Our Lord Jesus Christ on the Cross at Calvary. So not an atoning sacrifice, the Atoning Sacrifice.
Yep. The sacrifice of Calvary and the Eucharist are one and the same. Do the Eastern (and Oriental) Orthodox believe the same?

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »

Yep. The sacrifice of Calvary and the Eucharist are one and the same. Do the Eastern (and Oriental) Orthodox believe the same?
Yes.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth