Author Topic: Questions About Sedevacantism  (Read 254 times)

Offline byhisgrace

• High Elder
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
Questions About Sedevacantism
« on: February 17, 2016, 06:51:07 PM »
1. What do they believe about the legitimacy of Eastern Catholicism? For example, are leavened bread and married priesthood in the Byzantine tradition acceptable?

2. Why don't they believe in the possibility of invincible ignorance? Isn't it unfair for God to condemn someone to hell, just because they never heard of Jesus?

Thanks.
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
  • Sublime Augustine, wise writer of the City of God
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Poland - Archeparchy of Brazil
Re: Questions About Sedevacantism
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 07:15:06 PM »
2. Why don't they believe in the possibility of invincible ignorance? Isn't it unfair for God to condemn someone to hell, just because they never heard of Jesus?

Do they really? This is a teaching much older than the Second Vatican Council.

“If a man born among barbarian nations, does what he can, God Himself will show him what is necessary for salvation, either by inspiration or sending a teacher to him.”[cclvii]

(Thomas Aquinas, Sent. II, 28, Q. 1, A. 4, ad 4)

Sure, Aquinas is considered fallible, but take a look at the Question 29. This is a 1908 catechism by Pius IX, it is ex cathedra so it should be considered inspired by the RCC.

29 Q: But if a man through no fault of his own is outside the Church, can he be saved?

A: If he is outside the Church through no fault of his, that is, if he is in good faith, and if he has received Baptism, or at least has the implicit desire of Baptism; and if, moreover, he sincerely seeks the truth and does God's will as best he can such a man is indeed separated from the body of the Church, but is united to the soul of the Church and consequently is on the way of salvation
http://www.catholicbook.com/AgredaCD/PiusX/pcreed09.htm
Rise up, Lord, and let thine enemies be scattered; and let them that hate thee flee before thee. Return, o Lord, unto the many thousands of Israel.

Offline Sam G

• Resident Old Ritualist
  • OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 12:11:49 AM »
1. What do they believe about the legitimacy of Eastern Catholicism? For example, are leavened bread and married priesthood in the Byzantine tradition acceptable?

To my knowledge, there are no sedevacantist groups that use the Eastern Rite. There attitudes towards them would probably be the same as the pre-VII Popes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:26:14 AM by Sam G »
Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:17:59 AM »

To my knowledge, there are no sedevacantist groups that use the Eastern Rite. There attitudes towards them would probably be the same as the pre-VII Popes.

There is a schismatic Ukrainian Greek Catholic group that excommunicated Pope Benedict in 2011. I'm not sure if that technically makes them sedevacantists, but for all intents and purposes, any group that excommunicates the Pope is exactly that. (I highly doubt they'd be any more open to communion with the current Pope).

The Ukrainian group in question has also set up its own "Byzantine Catholic Patriarchate" for like-minded believers.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Sam G

• Resident Old Ritualist
  • OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 12:28:14 AM »

There is a schismatic Ukrainian Greek Catholic group that excommunicated Pope Benedict in 2011. I'm not sure if that technically makes them sedevacantists, but for all intents and purposes, any group that excommunicates the Pope is exactly that. (I highly doubt they'd be any more open to communion with the current Pope).

The Ukrainian group in question has also set up its own "Byzantine Catholic Patriarchate" for like-minded believers.

From what I just read, they also posthumously excommunicated JPII and have declared that the See of Peter is vacant.
Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.