OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:16:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: International House of prayer/ 24/7 prayer?  (Read 1783 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: October 24, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »

How do Orthodox Christian think of this Protestant organization,e.g IHOP?

This organization promotes an idea that keep praying and keep worship/ pray more and worship and even 24/7 prayer.

They promote a movement that 24/7 prayer( e.g within24 hours a day, 7 days a week, just keep praying and worshipping without creasing until Jesus come back).What do you think of the movement of 24/7 prayer?Any comment on this movement , e.g 24/7 prayer?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:40:50 AM by walter1234 » Logged
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »

The Orthodox are called to pray without ceasing.  I know I try to do this (Can be very hard while working) with the Jesus Prayer.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »

My own experience of the 24/7 prayer movement in college revealed that is quite diverse and embraces all sorts of imaginative, creative, musical, charismatic types of prayer.  Spontaneous prayer is strongly encouraged.   These practices of prayer don't seem in line with orthodox practice.  I could be wrong.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »

My own experience of the 24/7 prayer movement in college revealed that is quite diverse and embraces all sorts of imaginative, creative, musical, charismatic types of prayer.  Spontaneous prayer is strongly encouraged.   These practices of prayer don't seem in line with orthodox practice.  I could be wrong.

What is Orthodox Practice of prayer?

What is the difference between Orthodox and Non-Orthodox practice of prayer?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:03:56 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »

My own experience of the 24/7 prayer movement in college revealed that is quite diverse and embraces all sorts of imaginative, creative, musical, charismatic types of prayer.  Spontaneous prayer is strongly encouraged.   These practices of prayer don't seem in line with orthodox practice.  I could be wrong.

Say words to God.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »

Say words to God.
More detail?
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »

How do Orthodox Christian think of this Protestant organization,e.g IHOP?

This organization promotes an idea that keep praying and keep worship/ pray more and worship and even 24/7 prayer.

They promote a movement that 24/7 prayer( e.g within24 hours a day, 7 days a week, just keep praying and worshipping without creasing until Jesus come back).What do you think of the movement of 24/7 prayer?Any comment on this movement , e.g 24/7 prayer?

IHOP is led by a self-proclaimed prophet. No amount of bad music can make up for that.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »

What is the difference between Orthodox and Non-Orthodox practice of prayer?

Can somebody answer me these questions?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:46:53 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »

There are a few types of typical prayer

Liturgical or corporate prayer This includes all forms intercessory, psalmody, thanks....
This doesn't mean that these prayes are only said with others but they are usually pre written, or what I would call Oldies but Goodies. This also includes the prays of the hours I think where we consecrate certain hours of the day to Christ

Praying with words privately is considered the first step in personal prayer

Next is mental prayer this can be the same as above only internalized( the first step of personal prayer is usually encouraged before this)

Beyond this is prayer of the heart or wordless prayer but very few attain to this level and I'm not sure I understand it well enough to even elaborate on it at all
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »

I'm not a fan of such prayer flash mobs.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »

Say words to God.
More detail?
I’m not trying to be vague, but you’re over thinking it. 

Generally speaking, Orthodoxy shies away from such flashy, emotion-driven acts of “prayer” as you have described because they are driven by the feelings such acts elicit, which leads to deception.

Though I don't really love this webpage, this is a good start describing the practices some Orthodox Christians use: http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Daily%20Prayer%20Basics.html

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »

What is the usage of prayer book?Why it is so important to Orthodox Christians?

Without a prayer book, Can Orthodox Christians still learn how to pray?

Do Orthodox Christians have to follow everything the prayer book teach to pray?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:00:25 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »

Walter my dear friend there is nothing that a Orthodox Christian HAS to do when it comes to prayer, like someones forcing them to pray a certain way, but the use of a prayer book and a daily prayer dicipline is a tried and tested way over the centuries to deepen ones relationship with the Blessed Trinity. You need to realize that for 2000 years the church has develop certain practices which spring up from the infinite fountain  of inspiration of God's Spirit.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »

Ever notice that Christian music is like regular music except a lot worse? That is so unfortunate.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »

Ever notice that Christian music is like regular music except a lot worse? That is so unfortunate.

You should probably define what type of Christian music you're talking about.
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »

My opinion on music is so bias cuz I'm a huge phish phan, so nearly all music except for phish is rather lacking
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »

most types the majority of the time. i suppose sometimes there are exceptions.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 06:21:36 PM »

My opinion on music is so bias cuz I'm a huge phish phan, so nearly all music except for phish is rather lacking

Good Lord and butter  Shocked

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »

You do realize that liturgical music would fall under the umbrella of Christian music right?
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »

The IHOP idea is a good idea, kind of like some of what happens in our monasteries and convents except with less discipline. Seriously, I think there are some very sincere people in them and that God is using them for things. But as I read from someone on Mount Athos monks have been engaged in 24 hour a day prayer and worship for a thousand years its not the new thing the Protestants would likely imagine it to be.

Again as to IHOP one description I've heard of it involves a room with a news ticker constantly putting up prayer requests from all over the world, and always people there praying for them, this I think can't be a totally bad thing. Same for the praise bands. It may not compare to Orthodox worship which I wouldn't want to change but even if there are some bad apples there, and I'm not saying there are, but if there are I think there are many more people who are very sincerely worshiping God and anytime your doing that with all your heart I don't think it can be all bad.

As to Orthodox prayer the level one as someone called it is scripted but it teaches us things. It teaches us how to view God, how to view ourselves in relationship to God. Priorities in prayer etc. and as part of the Sacred Tradition it may even teach us things we may not learn elsewhere. Not that there's no room for unscripted "pouring your heart out to God" prayer, but even that can be informed, educated, and improved upon by what we learn from the scripted prayers.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »

You do realize that liturgical music would fall under the umbrella of Christian music right?

my bad. i dont consider "liturgical music" to be like regular music.  i figured people here would understand what I meant.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »

The IHOP idea is a good idea, kind of like some of what happens in our monasteries and convents except with less discipline. Seriously, I think there are some very sincere people in them and that God is using them for things. But as I read from someone on Mount Athos monks have been engaged in 24 hour a day prayer and worship for a thousand years its not the new thing the Protestants would likely imagine it to be.

Again as to IHOP one description I've heard of it involves a room with a news ticker constantly putting up prayer requests from all over the world, and always people there praying for them, this I think can't be a totally bad thing. Same for the praise bands. It may not compare to Orthodox worship which I wouldn't want to change but even if there are some bad apples there, and I'm not saying there are, but if there are I think there are many more people who are very sincerely worshiping God and anytime your doing that with all your heart I don't think it can be all bad.

As to Orthodox prayer the level one as someone called it is scripted but it teaches us things. It teaches us how to view God, how to view ourselves in relationship to God. Priorities in prayer etc. and as part of the Sacred Tradition it may even teach us things we may not learn elsewhere. Not that there's no room for unscripted "pouring your heart out to God" prayer, but even that can be informed, educated, and improved upon by what we learn from the scripted prayers.

The Monks on Mount Athos have practice 24 / 7prayer and worship for thousand years?    (Unbelievable)

Do they still practice 24 / 7Hour prayers and worship today?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:19:42 AM by walter1234 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »

Mount Athos monks has practice 24-hour prayer and worship for thousand years?    (Unbelievable)

Do they still practice 24-Hour prayers and worship today?
Yes.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »

On Easter Sunday, "60 Minutes" profiled many of the Orthodox monks that have dedicated their lives to following the words and deeds of Christ. It's a job they take seriously. Prayers have been offered at Mount Athos every day, with no interruption, for more than a thousand years.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20056985-10391704/how-do-mount-athos-monks-stay-so-healthy/

Cannot's believe!! Shocked
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 10:40:50 AM »

It's not an easy life - the monks don't have wives or children. In fact, women aren't allowed on the property at all. And the monks rarely leave, not even for the funerals of their closest loved ones.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20056985-10391704/how-do-mount-athos-monks-stay-so-healthy/

Why don't the monks (on Mount Athos) marry and have wives or children? Is this their choice or the teaching of Orthodox?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:55:32 AM by walter1234 » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »

It's not an easy life - the monks don't have wives or children. In fact, women aren't allowed on the property at all. And the monks rarely leave, not even for the funerals of their closest loved ones.

Why don't the monks on Mount Athos marry and have wives or children? Is this their choice or the teaching of Orthodox?

Because they're monks. Of course it's their choice. Some Orthodox people choose to be celibate and become monks or nuns. Some of these (monks only - there are no nuns on Mount Athos) go to a monastery on Mount Athos.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »

There are undoubtedly many well-meaning people in this organization, I will not disparage their devotion in prayer. I am inclined to believe that God will honour those prayers to the extent that they are good and profitable to salvation (in the Orthodox sense, of course).

However, as an organization, this is nothing more than another Protestant innovation.

Their statement of faith puts the Bible (66 books exactly and only, mind you!) ahead of God. We Orthodox would hold firmly that Scripture comes from God. IHOP believes that God comes from the Scriptures. In that, they are like Muslims and Mormons.

There are many other troubling matters in their statement of faith, for example:
We believe that Adam was originally created in the image of God, righteous and without sin. As a consequence of his disobedience, Adam’s posterity is born subject to both imputed and inherent sin, and all humans are therefore, by nature and choice, the children of wrath, justly condemned in the sight of God, wholly unable to save themselves or to contribute in any way to their acceptance by God.
(emphasis added)
Apparently, they missed John 3:17 "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." (NKJV) The verses that follow about condemnation relate to belief, which is a choice - we are not condemned simply because we were born human.

I would not associate with them in worship and prayer, nor encourage anyone to do do.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »

Why don't the monks on Mount Athos marry and have wives or children? Is this their choice or the teaching of Orthodox?

Because they're monks. Of course it's their choice. Some Orthodox people choose to be celibate and become monks or nuns. Some of these (monks only - there are no nuns on Mount Athos) go to a monastery on Mount Athos.

James

Do ALL Monks prohibit to marry in Orthodox Church?
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »

James

Yes... Although I'm not sure I'd say 'prohibited' as it's a voluntary decision to become a monastic in the first place. It's part and parcel of the definition of monk - monks and nuns are celibate. If they weren't celibate they wouldn't be monks or nuns.

James
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:04:58 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »

That's pretty much the definition of what a monk is.
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »

There are undoubtedly many well-meaning people in this organization, I will not disparage their devotion in prayer. I am inclined to believe that God will honour those prayers to the extent that they are good and profitable to salvation (in the Orthodox sense, of course).

However, as an organization, this is nothing more than another Protestant innovation.

Their statement of faith puts the Bible (66 books exactly and only, mind you!) ahead of God. We Orthodox would hold firmly that Scripture comes from God. IHOP believes that God comes from the Scriptures. In that, they are like Muslims and Mormons.
In IHOP's defense, I wouldn't read anything that sinister into how they have chosen to order the points of their creed. I also see no evidence that IHOP believes God comes from the Scriptures.
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »

On Easter Sunday, "60 Minutes" profiled many of the Orthodox monks that have dedicated their lives to following the words and deeds of Christ. It's a job they take seriously. Prayers have been offered at Mount Athos every day, with no interruption, for more than a thousand years.

What's not to believe?
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

If you are already a priest - no. However, if one is married (first marriage only), he can still become a priest.
Eastern Orthodox Priests are allowed to marry prior to ordination to one woman only. If the wife dies, the priest is unable to marry again or risk losing his office of Priesthood.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_Eastern_Orthodox_priests_marry

Why can't orthodox Priest and monks marry? Why can't the Priest and monks  marry and serve God with their wives together?

What's wrong if a priest have a marriage?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:11:28 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »

What's not to believe?

24/7 praying and worshipping movement is a hot topic only in some of Chrismatic Church in these recent years. I really cannot believe that Orthodox Church have started and procceded this movement for more than 1000 years !!!! It's amagzing!!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked

By the way, I still do not understand why a priest and monks cannot marry , and serve God together with His wives. What 's wrong if a priest and Monks have a marriges?

( In protestant, Pastor can have a marriage with one wife freely.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:22:57 AM by walter1234 » Logged
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »

If you are already a priest - no. However, if one is married (first marriage only), he can still become a priest.
Eastern Orthodox Priests are allowed to marry prior to ordination to one woman only. If the wife dies, the priest is unable to marry again or risk losing his office of Priesthood.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_Eastern_Orthodox_priests_marry

Why can't orthodox Priest and monks marry? Why can't the Priest and monks  marry and serve God with their wives together?

What's wrong if a priest have a marriage?

You seem to be confused as to what a monk is. Monks are not (usually) priests. Some monks are ordained as priests and these are, of course, not married. Usually the monks who are ordained will serve as priests in the monasteries but most Orthodox priests are not monks and you will find that the majority of parish priests are married.

James

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »

Priests can't marry because sacraments are listed in a separate cycle. You cannot take Eucharist unless you are baptised and chrismated, you cannot get ordained until you participated in the Eucharist... Priesthood requires most of the experience and knowledge so it's the last sacrament one can take during life (I mean, among the ones that are takes once).

Why can't monks marry? Being means to dispose own personality, will and attachment to earthly issues. That's why. It's not just a funny name. You can also ask why football players cannot grab the ball in their hands and toss it.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »

Priests can't marry because sacraments are listed in a separate cycle. You cannot take Eucharist unless you are baptised and chrismated, you cannot get ordained until you participated in the Eucharist... Priesthood requires most of the experience and knowledge so it's the last sacrament one can take during life (I mean, among the ones that are takes once).

Why can't monks marry? Being means to dispose own personality, will and attachment to earthly issues. That's why. It's not just a funny name. You can also ask why football players cannot grab the ball in their hands and toss it.

Just to clarify for you Walter - priests cannot marry after they are ordained. Married men can be and are ordained to the priesthood (not sure if this would have been clear to you from what Michał Kalina posted). In other words, men can choose whether to marry or become a monk before being ordained. After ordination, however, a priest cannot marry.

James

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une Poirot

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 11:33:46 AM »

The Orthodox Acoemetae were the first who had prayers 24/7.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »

In IHOP's defense, I wouldn't read anything that sinister into how they have chosen to order the points of their creed. I also see no evidence that IHOP believes God comes from the Scriptures.
I know I over-simplified, but we've been through the "Bible first, God second" matter in many threads about Solā Scripturā. That order does establish the framework that leads to the development of other errors such as the one I cited earlier.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »

Why can't orthodox Priest and monks marry?

Priests can marry.

A monk is what you call someone who chooses not to marry.

So what you're asking is, "Why can't the people who choose not to marry get married?" which is kind of silly.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »

I know the difference of Monks and Priest now.

And I think quite a lot of Chrismatic and Pentecostal Christians will be shocked if they know Orthodox Church has started and proceeded the 724 praying and worship for more than a thousand years!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:29:05 PM by walter1234 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »

Why can't orthodox Priest and monks marry?

Priests can marry.
Correction: Married men can be ordained, but priests, once ordained, are not permitted to marry without first resigning from the priesthood.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »

By the way, I still do not understand why a priest and monks cannot marry , and serve God together with His wives.
In the orthodox Church, the wife of a priest often has a very important role in the life of a parish. She helps her husband, organizes events and things like that. The only thing she can't do, is to serve as a priest.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:06:16 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »

Only males are allowed entrance into Mount Athos, which is called "Garden of the Virgin" by monks,[4] and Orthodox Christians take precedence in the permit issuance procedure. Only males over the age of 18 who are members of the Eastern Orthodox Church are allowed to live on Athos, either as monks or as workers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos

Why can't women or even nuns enter the Mount Athos? Is there any spiritual reason for this prohibition ?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:02:03 PM by walter1234 » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »

Only males are allowed entrance into Mount Athos, which is called "Garden of the Virgin" by monks,[4] and Orthodox Christians take precedence in the permit issuance procedure. Only males over the age of 18 who are members of the Eastern Orthodox Church are allowed to live on Athos, either as monks or as workers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos

Why can't women or even nuns enter the Mount Athos? Is there any spiritual reason for this prohibition ?

There aren't any convents there. No nuns live there. It's not a place to visit unless you go as either a pilgrim or to live as a monk. Orthodox monks are required to stay celibate.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: