OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 02:14:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confession, Orthodox vs Catholic  (Read 4118 times) Average Rating: 0
Føroyingar

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Moscow (When I make a trip to Iceland)

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »

I wonder how some Orthodox today would react if we returned to things like giving penances of only having bread and water for a week.  Cool

We'd feel like monastics!

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2012, 02:36:08 AM »

Yes, and you might also believe that banana attracts phlegm.

Ooh, Akimori fighting back against the Oriental Medicine!

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2012, 02:39:37 AM »

Yes, and you might also believe that banana attracts phlegm.

Ooh, Akimori fighting back against the Oriental Medicine!

At least he hasn't attacked the need for grain alcohol...

(this is not a jab at a board member being alcoholic or something, it's an inside joke that a few on here will get)

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »

It is necessary to confess minor sins in Orthodox Confession?

There really is no such thing as a minor sin.  All sin can kill you.  The time to kill the passion is when it is small so that it doesn't become large.  We should confess everything we remember and that God brings to our attention.  The Slavic instructions for Confession warn us to say everything and not to hide anything unless we depart unhealed. 
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »

I don't know about my fellow Catholics on this forum, but to be fair, regardless of how "minor" I may feel that any given sin is, if it pops into my head during confession I mention it. I mention everything I can think of. For me, especially since I tend to be scrupulous, it is easier for me to just mention everything rather than attempting to categorize things as mortal/venial.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »

I don't know about my fellow Catholics on this forum, but to be fair, regardless of how "minor" I may feel that any given sin is, if it pops into my head during confession I mention it. I mention everything I can think of. For me, especially since I tend to be scrupulous, it is easier for me to just mention everything rather than attempting to categorize things as mortal/venial.

I have found that to be extremely beneficial.  I also add, at the end, something to the effect of "for these and *all* my sins, especially any I may have forgotten, I am truly sorry."  There is also solace for me knowing that the Holy Eucharist is "...for the remission of sins.", and that none of us are ever truly "worthy" to partake of it.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
choy
Archon

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »

Good for you.  And I believe that this is the official teaching of the Catholic Church, to confess everything.  Although the popular word on the street is, "you don't have to confess your sins if they are venial."
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »

Good for you.  And I believe that this is the official teaching of the Catholic Church, to confess everything.  Although the popular word on the street is, "you don't have to confess your sins if they are venial."

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
1493 One who desires to obtain reconciliation with God and with the Church, must confess to a priest all the unconfessed grave sins he remembers after having carefully examined his conscience. The confession of venial faults, without being necessary in itself, is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm#1493

Best policy, imho: if it's a sin and you remember it having examined your conscience, confess it.  Simple.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:13:17 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 03:28:58 PM »

Good for you.  And I believe that this is the official teaching of the Catholic Church, to confess everything.  Although the popular word on the street is, "you don't have to confess your sins if they are venial."

1493 One who desires to obtain reconciliation with God and with the Church, must confess to a priest all the unconfessed grave sins he remembers after having carefully examined his conscience. The confession of venial faults, without being necessary in itself, is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.

Best policy, imho: if it's a sin and you remember it having examined your conscience, confess it.  Simple.
Though if a person is plagued by the vice of scrupulosity, and struggles with obsessive compulsive disorder, a priest will often only allow a person to confession mortal sins, for the good of the penitent's spiritual life.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
choy
Archon

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »

Though if a person is plagued by the vice of scrupulosity, and struggles with obsessive compulsive disorder, a priest will often only allow a person to confession mortal sins, for the good of the penitent's spiritual life.

Big question here is, how can one know what is mortal and what is venial?  I don't think most people can actually make a good distinction.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 03:40:35 PM »

Big question here is, how can one know what is mortal and what is venial?  I don't think most people can actually make a good distinction.
Well, a good spiritual director helps.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »

When in doubt, ask your confessor.

The Decalogue and the Beatitudes help a lot, too.

Various people have also compiled various lists.  Don't know how trustworthy they may or may not be, though.

choy
Archon

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »

Most RCs do not have that.  Which is the core of my rants early in this thread.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »

I would say that most people in 21st century America do not struggle with this particular vice.  If something bothers you, it can't hurt to say it at least once.  The priest will let you know if you're being scrupulous, especially if you go to him often.

To echo what J Michael said, for most people, if your conscience says, "Wow, I shouldn't have done/said/thought that," you should mention it in confession. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »

I would say that most people in 21st century America do not struggle with this particular vice.  If something bothers you, it can't hurt to say it at least once.  The priest will let you know if you're being scrupulous, especially if you go to him often.

To echo what J Michael said, for most people, if your conscience says, "Wow, I shouldn't have done/said/thought that," you should mention it in confession. 
I had several devout Catholic friends (and me) who struggled with severe scrupulosity when we were in our early mid/twenties.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »

I had several devout Catholic friends (and me) who struggled with severe scrupulosity when we were in our early mid/twenties.

When one is zealous in their faith it can be extremely easy to slip into scrupulosity, and then difficult to get out of it without a good confessor.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: