OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:15:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking in Tongues?  (Read 1707 times) Average Rating: 0
ProdigalSon

OC.net

« on: December 17, 2004, 12:52:25 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the Orthodox view of the practice of "speaking in tongues as the Holy Spirit gives the utterance?"

Could anyone tell me what the Othodox take is on this practice/phenomenon?

NULL
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 12:54:15 PM »

It was a practice in the early church.
but now it's taken up by those crazy pennycoastalists.

Speak in Tongues in 5-Days or Your Money Back!

Special Offer

Our Pastors are very excited about a new Hooked on Phonics DVD being made available exclusively through the Landover Baptist Church. "For the last few years, we've been assisting the folks at Hooked on Phonics in coming up with a quality product," says Landover Pastor, Deacon Fred.  "I'm confident that we've created something that will have you babbling in so many tongues you'll damn Pentecostals to Hell with their corrosive envy." 

The DVD allows beginners to start out the easy, backwoods Pentecostal way -- by copying what the person in the next pew is yapping.  Within a day, you will learn to make up things that even you can't understand while in a hot-footed hillbilly trance. You'll get a hundred page handy translation guide along with the DVD:

TONGUES: shun-doo-lah!

ENGLISH: "Look at me!

TONGUES: shun-doo-lah, mah-shundah!

ENGLISH: "Look at me! Look'it what I can do!"

DVD extras include: Basic Snake-Handling, Pew-Jumping Safety, Beginner's Chandelier Swinging, and the popular short instructional film,  Slayed in the Spirit: Failsafe Protocals - When You're in the Wrong Church and the Congregation Goes for the Gun Rack, It's Time to Play Dead.

Not included in this offer: Singing in Tongues and Healing Below the Belt.

Landover Baptist Ministries puts its reputation on the line by promising to retain only 85% of the $2,304 cost of this deluxe one DVD set if you are not completely satisfied -- all you have to do is tell us you weren't 100% happy and pay the $350 shipping costs and allow the Landover Baptist Sin Patrol to scan your hard drive to ensure you didn't make a copy of this proprietary software -- or have photographs or movies that Pastor Deacon Fred has deemed after careful study to be offensive or sickening."

« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 12:55:17 PM by sdcheung » Logged

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 01:13:35 PM »

ProdigalSon,
You might start here:

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7112.asp

And I am sure there are other opinions as well. I also think we've discussed this before and you might do a Search and see.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
icxn
Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 03:05:52 PM »

In the book "The Authentic Seal" Archimandrite Aimilianos, Abbot of the Holy Monastery of Simonos Petras, says that "speaking in tongues" is nothing else but the mystical prayer of the heart.

For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him [i.e. no one hears him]; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. (1 Cor. 14:2)

icxn
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 03:10:52 PM by icxn » Logged
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 04:07:39 PM »

Well, I recommend reading Fr. Seraphim Rose's "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future." He proposes that it might be demonic. There is another book "In Peace let us pray to the Lord" by Fr. Alexis Trader. I do not know that either present themselves as THE position of The Orthodox Church on this matter as it is a relatively new phenomenon.

No matter how much they say otherwise it is not what is recorded as happening on Pentecost.

I grew up in the AOG (I left it when I was 16). After I had left and was able to compare some experiences among Pentecostals with other experiences I had, I became concerned. I remain concerned.

I later went thru the Charismatic renewal in the RC, I saw some of the same stuff like "just open your mouth and start" I never bought that. I think some of talking in tongues is that, some is a type of hysteria, some is authentic prompting of the Most Holy Spirit and some is the prompting of an unholy spirit.  Sorry that is just my opinion. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 04:08:34 PM by TonyS » Logged

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 04:18:54 PM »

Tony,

I didn't know you were born AOG.

And agreed.

TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 04:28:03 PM »

Tony,

I didn't know you were born AOG.

And agreed.

Serge,

Yes, born into I suppose is the most accurate expression.  My mom's side is almost all Pentecostal, AOG and COG (Cleveland, TN) both. 

I was never baptised Pentecostal. 

When I was in my twenties I became involved in somethings sort of like "New Age," others a bit different, the only reason I bring it up is the following.  Some of the people "with the Holy Ghost" I saw in some AOG meetings acted much like what I saw in other possessions later.  No message, no apparent purpose other than to give the deity a body for a while.  Very scary.  This short bit does not do justice to the experience but my conscience requires I say something. 

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags: glossolalia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: