OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 03:02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Catholic, Orthodox wanna-be here  (Read 1998 times) Average Rating: 0
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »

For what it's worth, I have contacted a parish in the Western-rite Orthodox in Pa and the priest will hear my confession and I can recieve communion, He said there is a very fine line and the only real differance between us and them is the Pope, economia I guess
Delphine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »

Everyone here has been so friendly and welcoming, but I'm already realizing I'm not at the point I may have thought I was when I made my first post.  I know that seems wishy washy, but I have to be honest with myself and with God.
I'd still love to remain here on this site because I still feel I could learn quite alot from many people here.  Hope that's okay!  Embarrassed 

There are plenty of people on these boards for whom Orthodoxy has had an impact in some way, or who are simply interested in Orthodoxy without having any intention to convert. Of course you can stay.

I'm glad this thread helped you to figure out where you currently stand.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »

Everyone here has been so friendly and welcoming, but I'm already realizing I'm not at the point I may have thought I was when I made my first post.  I know that seems wishy washy, but I have to be honest with myself and with God.
I'd still love to remain here on this site because I still feel I could learn quite alot from many people here.  Hope that's okay!  Embarrassed 

There are plenty of people on these boards for whom Orthodoxy has had an impact in some way, or who are simply interested in Orthodoxy without having any intention to convert. Of course you can stay.

I'm glad this thread helped you to figure out where you currently stand.
Agreed! This is one of the best sites on the net, being much more welcoming to visitors than others that I can think of.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
choy
Archon

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »

For what it's worth, I have contacted a parish in the Western-rite Orthodox in Pa and the priest will hear my confession and I can recieve communion, He said there is a very fine line and the only real differance between us and them is the Pope, economia I guess

There are priests out there who believe this.  And some don't.  The current priest I am in contact with will not give me Communion unless I become Orthodox.
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 01:46:11 PM »

Papist I suggest you work your way up to the ranks of pope and then fully submit the Roman church to the Orthodox Church and whoever doesn't like it let the chips fall where they may Smiley
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »

There are priests out there who believe this.  And some don't.  The current priest I am in contact with will not give me Communion unless I become Orthodox.

Choy, this is the prevailing practice and belief. I wonder if that other priest's Bishop knows and/or has given his permission. My guess is he doesn't and hasn't.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »

This really disturbs me.
To commune we have to be in full communion, that means in all things, differences exits and prevent communion, the Pope being a big one, but there are others also.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »

As I said earlier, as much as I have accepted Orthodox teaching in everything

What about Orthodox ecclesiology?

We have the same structure in the EC

I was refering to "There's no salvation outside the Church" kind of ecclesiology. Wink I'm not a Feeneyite but according to Orthodox teaching the Orthodox Church is the Church and those outside of her are outside of the Church.

Christianity is not about subscribing into correct set of doctries. It's about being part of the Body of Christ.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:15:12 PM by Alpo » Logged

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »

I would think it's more honest to say it's both, but what do I know. Smiley Or at least, the distinction holds in one direction, if not the other: To be in the Church/the Body of Christ, you must believe as the Church believes, which is correct belief, including doctrinal stances. Those who might share any one or several of those same doctrinal stances are not necessarily in the Church, however.

choy
Archon

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »

Choy, this is the prevailing practice and belief. I wonder if that other priest's Bishop knows and/or has given his permission. My guess is he doesn't and hasn't.

I have not experienced this personally but I have been told stories of Catholics receiving Communion in Orthodox churches and it seems more prevalent in Europe than in America.  I can't verify the authenticity of that story though.
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »

This really disturbs me.
To commune we have to be in full communion, that means in all things, differences exits and prevent communion, the Pope being a big one, but there are others also.

I have not actually gone through with receiving at any Othodox parish and after reading this I think that I have made my mind up that I will not.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »

This really disturbs me.

I've seen something to this effect in many Orthodox parish bulletins and the like: "Please understand … Communion is a sign of unity of our faith. Only Orthodox Christians that have prepared themselves through prayer, fasting, and periodic confession are permitted to participate in the Sacrament of Holy Communion."
Maybe it's just me, but if you're not Orthodox, it puzzles me why anyone would even want to receive Communion in an Orthodox church?
I certainly wouldn't try to receive Communion in a Catholic church, out of respect if nothing else. Respect for both.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »

I would think it's more honest to say it's both, but what do I know. Smiley Or at least, the distinction holds in one direction, if not the other: To be in the Church/the Body of Christ, you must believe as the Church believes, which is correct belief, including doctrinal stances.

Well I agree with you but IMO in many case among Christians today the emphasis is on wrong things. There is wisdom in that the Church doesn't declare new doctrines without any serious heresy demanding that.

Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »

Let me also add that the parish priest also said that all the congregation was made up of ex-Catholics so this may have some influence on his decision, the inquiry made by me and my grandfather into this was done mostly out of curiosity and a desire to fully participate in the trinidine liturgy. My grandfather is one if not the main reason I remain eastern catholic.... I hope that the Lord has mercy on me for this decision to not persue Orthodoxy till he passes.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »

Let me also add that the parish priest also said that all the congregation was made up of ex-Catholics so this may have some influence on his decision,

http://oca.org/questions/divineliturgy/receiving-communion

"For Orthodox Christians, the Eucharist is a visible sign of unity; to receive the Eucharist in a community to which one does not belong is improper. If one does not accept all that the Church believes and teaches and worships, one cannot make a visible sign of unity with it. The Eucharist is the result of unity, not the means by which unity is achieved. While many non-Orthodox see this as a sign that the Orthodox Church excludes non-Orthodox from the Eucharist, in reality the opposite is true. Because a non-Orthodox individual has chosen not to embrace all that Orthodox Christianity holds, the non-Orthodox individual makes it impossible for an Orthodox priest to offer him or her communion. It is not so much a matter of Orthodoxy excluding non-Orthodox as it is the non-Orthodox making it impossible for the Orthodox to offer the Eucharist."

I still wonder if that priest's bishop knows about this.

St. John Chrysostom
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2012, 05:43:19 PM »

I'm sorry I have no answers to weather the bishop knows, but the Lord God does so I'll just leave this one to Him Smiley
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2012, 03:26:35 AM »

Let me also add that the parish priest also said that all the congregation was made up of ex-Catholics so this may have some influence on his decision, the inquiry made by me and my grandfather into this was done mostly out of curiosity and a desire to fully participate in the trinidine liturgy. My grandfather is one if not the main reason I remain eastern catholic.... I hope that the Lord has mercy on me for this decision to not persue Orthodoxy till he passes.

Are you sure that he wasn't saying that that was how you could be received into Orthodoxy? Some Orthodox churches will receive converts from the RCC (I use this to cover all rites) by confession and communion. I've never yet, thankfully, come across an Orthodox church which will commune an RC who is intent on remaining an RC, and it certainly wouldn't be correct to do so.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 05:37:56 AM »

Well if I was going to be able to become orthodox that simply now I wish I would have went Smiley lol but nothing like that was ever said to me
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2012, 06:29:49 AM »

Depending on the parish that would be a option. I know in the Greek tradition it is by chrismation and them communion.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:39 AM »

Sometimes I feel like I should even be baptised again ya know play it safe, just in case Wink
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »

Sometimes I feel like I should even be baptised again ya know play it safe, just in case Wink
As soderquj said for the Greeks we would Chrismate and then commune also, though I have heard of RCs being received by confession in other jurisdictions.

I know how you feel re. the baptism, though. I was received by Chrismation (I'm an ex-Protestant rather than RC) and in hindsight I often feel it might have been better to have been baptised, but I trust that the Chrismation I received has filled in anything lacking in my Anglican baptism. I'm not sure that I'd be so happy about the situation had I been baptised nowadays rather than almost 40 years ago, however.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2012, 07:30:46 AM »

I think as long as we're obedient to whatever way we are asked to join Christs body everything will be just fine!
choy
Archon

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »

According to my OCA priest, "re"-baptism only happens for those coming form congregations who do not believe in baptism the way the Orthodox do.  For example, Evangelical congregations do not think baptism is necessary for salvation, as much as "accepting Jesus in your heart as your personal Lord and Savior".  Catholics and the Reformation churches retain that belief in Baptism.  The Revivalists (Evangelicals, Pentecostals) do not, so they would need to be baptized with true baptism.

I, for one thing, want to go through Crowning.  Given how shaky the RC belief is about marriage (how it can be easily annulled).  Although the priest told me that it is not necessary.  If you are married, you are married.  Aw.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:39:40 PM by choy » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »

I, for one thing, want to go through Crowning.  Given how shaky the RC belief is about marriage (how it can be easily annulled).  Although the priest told me that it is not necessary.  If you are married, you are married.  Aw.

I know, right?  Grin After I attended an Orthodox wedding for the first time, I told my husband, I wanted to get married again!

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: