OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:38:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a philosopher be an Orthodox Christian?  (Read 1086 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« on: October 22, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »

Can a philosopher be an Orthodox Christian?

What if he believes that reason can prove that there is a God?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 04:37:32 PM »

He ain't no philosopher.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »

He ain't no philosopher.

Oh, and he is not a Christian.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »

Sure, there is Richard Swinburne for instance.

We're all wrong about something!  Wink

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »

Who says philosophy deals only with reason?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »

He never said that.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:07:39 PM »

He never said that.

Prove it!

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:30:44 PM »

He ain't no philosopher.
Can you clarify on this? There are numerous philosophers who have asserted that the existence of God could be proven through reason alone (Descartes and Leibniz come to mind). Would you assert that neither of them are in fact "philosophers"?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:31:14 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »

He ain't no philosopher.
Can you clarify on this? There are numerous philosophers who have asserted that the existence of God could be proven through reason alone (Descartes and Leibniz come to mind). Would you assert that neither of them are in fact "philosophers"?

Today they wouldn't be.

Please note my defense of both men you've mentioned on this board.

In fact, I believe Descartes should be mandatory reading in junior high. So that people understand exactly the underpinnings of the time in which they are living.

Even Thomas Aquinas can be respected within an understanding of his own era, but to those who hang on to his thought, there can be no quarter given.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »

He never said that.

Prove it!
Can't prove a negative. //:=)

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »

He ain't no philosopher.

Today they wouldn't be.

In fact, I believe Descartes should be mandatory reading in junior high. So that people understand exactly the underpinnings of the time in which they are living.

Even Thomas Aquinas can be respected within an understanding of his own era, but to those who hang on to his thought, there can be no quarter given.
Ah, I see. "What's new is better."  Grin

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:24:22 PM »

Sure, there is Richard Swinburne for instance.
An Orthodox Christian, influenced by the philosophy of Aquinas? Is outrage!!!!!  Cheesy

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:46:24 PM »

I haven't heard Swinburne's name in over a year. Him and David Bently Hart were two I was recommended when I first started inquiring. I got sidetracked on other things and never got around to him. Maybe one day, but I'm bored of philosophy at the moment.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »

Many are.

What of it?  You can prove that Elizabeth II is the right heir to the English throne. I believe that.  That still wouldn't make me believe in her and accept her as my sovereign.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »

Many are.

What of it?  You can prove that Elizabeth II is the right heir to the English throne. I believe that.  That still wouldn't make me believe in her and accept her as my sovereign.
Or course it takes more than knowledge of God's existence to be Christian. I just wanted to know if an Orthodox Christian in good standing can believe that God's existence if demosntrable.

Samn!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »

Who or what would (or would have the authority to) say that Orthodox Christians couldn't believe that God's existence is rationally demonstrable?

I mean, if we look at Chapters 1 through 10 of Book I of St John of Damascus' Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith, it would seem that St John believed that not only could the existence of God be proven naturally, but so could the Trinity and many of the divine attributes... Chapter 3 is taken up entirely with a proof for God's existence.

So, in Chapter 1, he says "God has not gone so far as to leave us in complete ignorance, for through nature the knowledge of the existence of God has been revealed by Him to all men" and in Chapter 3, "the knowledge of God's existence has been revealed to us through nature."
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »

He ain't no philosopher.

Today they wouldn't be.

Sorry, what's true is true regardless of its era. We're not Hegelians here, or at least we shouldn't be. I'm not going to defend Descartes or Aquinas in particular, but your general principle is pretty silly.

And the persistence of ideas, good or bad, over time is pretty well proved by the fact that today's popular atheists are pulling arguments screaming from the 18th century vault... and being taken seriously.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:33:15 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 09:23:44 PM »

Who or what would (or would have the authority to) say that Orthodox Christians couldn't believe that God's existence is rationally demonstrable?

I mean, if we look at Chapters 1 through 10 of Book I of St John of Damascus' Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith, it would seem that St John believed that not only could the existence of God be proven naturally, but so could the Trinity and many of the divine attributes... Chapter 3 is taken up entirely with a proof for God's existence.

So, in Chapter 1, he says "God has not gone so far as to leave us in complete ignorance, for through nature the knowledge of the existence of God has been revealed by Him to all men" and in Chapter 3, "the knowledge of God's existence has been revealed to us through nature."
I think I need to spend some more time reading St. John of Damascus. Aquinas quoted him extensively.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »

St. John clearly thinks that there is enough evidence in nature and the universe to discern God's work/hand, but I think this is different than the notion of philosophically proving God's existence. But perhaps I am just saying the same thing but in a different way... I think all here agree that both faith and reason are involved in recognizing God, no?

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »

What sort of God would reason prove?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »

Well, I'm not really debating whether or not God's existence is provable... I'm only asking if a philosopher can believe it is and still be Orthodox.

Samn!
Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »

St. John clearly thinks that there is enough evidence in nature and the universe to discern God's work/hand, but I think this is different than the notion of philosophically proving God's existence. But perhaps I am just saying the same thing but in a different way... I think all here agree that both faith and reason are involved in recognizing God, no?

St John's point is that we can know of God's existence (which in this framework also implies His unity) through nature, which is the same thing as through reason. He contrasts this with what can be known through revelation. The dichotomy of reason/faith comes quite a lot later historically than St John's time. For him and most others, the important contrast is reason/revelation. He certainly does seem to think that it is provable, insofar as he attempts to offer a rational proof for this. This is not that uncommon in the Fathers. In the generation after the Damascene, Theodore Abu Qurrah (and other Arab Orthodox authors) are very enthusiastic about providing rational proofs for all aspects of the Christian faith.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:22 PM »

Nonetheless, I think this is different than the notion of philosophically proving God's existence.

Samn!
Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »

I fail to see the distinction, especially since in the text at hand this is all being said within the context of giving a classical cosmological proof from harmony for God's existence. I don't think the distinction you're trying to make is coherent unless you allow for the possibility of "pure nature" existing aside (or in abstraction from) God, which was a late and controversial introduction to Latin scholasticism and alien to patristic thought.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 10:21:40 PM »

Well, I'm not really debating whether or not God's existence is provable... I'm only asking if a philosopher can believe it is and still be Orthodox.
  Christianity is faith based. Philosophy is no different. If you can reach a philosophical rendering of foreseeable truth.  It still requires a degree of faith. Because for most of us. Truth is measured via existential reality. Unless we see and hold god in the physical realm. We can't complete our concept of truth. Just like doubting Tomas stated. Unless he put his finger in his wounds. He couldn't believe. I'm sure he wanted to believe and there are many that do. Blindly of course. Most people that "question" need the physical element when it comes to knowledge. That is the only way to fore fill the tryfecta of truth. If it sounds like, looks like and feels like. Than it must be.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »

I suppose part of it is a difference between discernment (experience + reason + faith) versus trying to prove God's existence in such a way that skeptics relying only on reason will accept. I'm also trying to stay faithful to the rejection of such proof of God's existence by my patron saint, Justin Popovich.

Samn!
Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 10:27:01 PM »

Well, St Justin Popovic may have disagreed, but there are ample examples from the Orthodox tradition of using proofs for God's existence, specifically the proof from harmony and the cosmological proof for the prime mover. Part of the ethos of much of Orthodoxy during the 20th century was quite anti-intellectual, but that's only one possible (and by no means predominant) position within a tradition that is much broader historically....
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 05:26:34 AM »

Well, St Justin Popovic may have disagreed, but there are ample examples from the Orthodox tradition of using proofs for God's existence, specifically the proof from harmony and the cosmological proof for the prime mover. Part of the ethos of much of Orthodoxy during the 20th century was quite anti-intellectual, but that's only one possible (and by no means predominant) position within a tradition that is much broader historically....

You have it reversed. Those who reject that the existence of God can be proved by reason alone are not typically objecting on anti-intellectual grounds.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 07:53:11 AM »

In answer to your first question: St Justin the Martyr and Philosopher.

I have no answer to the second.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:53:43 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: