OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:52:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO Perspective: Who is the Ancient of Days Mentioned in the Book of the Daniel?  (Read 486 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: I have it, but I don't live up to it
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« on: October 20, 2012, 11:55:16 PM »

God the Father or the Lord Jesus Christ?

I'm trying to avoid polemical posts until after Lent

Update, 4/9- Trying again...

Please pray for persecuted Christians in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Palestine & Kosovo

God bless Egypt & Syria, we share the same pain
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:56:08 AM »

I know you want an OO perspective, but just for me, what part of Daniel is this (I haven't read the book yet)

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 03:52:25 AM »

Daniel Chapter 7.

From an OO perspective, I would expect the Ancient of Days is the Father, but I have no patristic proof to offer.  It would only make sense though since saying the Ancient of Days being Christ would sound Nestorian to me.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:27:27 AM »

From an OO perspective, I would expect the Ancient of Days is the Father, but I have no patristic proof to offer.

Here Irish Hermit lists some Fathers who claim that.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:41:29 AM »

From an OO perspective, I would expect the Ancient of Days is the Father, but I have no patristic proof to offer.

Here Irish Hermit lists some Fathers who claim that.
The quote claims that the fathers in the list believe that it was referring to God the Father.  Where are the Church fathers that refer to any person of the Trinity?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »

It would only make sense though since saying the Ancient of Days being Christ would sound Nestorian to me.

How so?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »

How so?

I suppose if you assume that Son of Man and Ancient of Days represent Christ's two natures, then you could assume that the separate apperitions in Daniel suggest some kind of Nestorianism.

I think you have to be on the lookout for Nestorianism to draw such a conclusion though.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »

Quote from: Daniel 7
13 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man,[a] coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

If the Ancient of Days here refers to Christ's divine nature here, it sounds like the human nature was led into the presence of the divine nature, rather than the Logos being present fully in the human nature from the beginning of His incarnation.  It sounds adoptionist if anything.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.

But to say that the Ancient of Days is the Father would make more sense here.  I don't mind calling Christ the Ancient of Days given His divinity.  But within the context of the verse, and what seems to be a patristic consensus of the interpretation, sounds like the Father to me.

Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: I have it, but I don't live up to it
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »

^I think that makes sense. Is it possible that the Ancient of Days according to the Prophet Daniel is the Father, while the Ancient of Days in the Apocalypse is Christ? The reason I ask is because St. John's description of Christ in the Apocalypse is very similar to the Prophet's description of the Ancient of Days in the book of Daniel.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:09:14 PM by Severian » Logged

I'm trying to avoid polemical posts until after Lent

Update, 4/9- Trying again...

Please pray for persecuted Christians in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Palestine & Kosovo

God bless Egypt & Syria, we share the same pain
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »

But to say that the Ancient of Days is the Father would make more sense here.  I don't mind calling Christ the Ancient of Days given His divinity.  But within the context of the verse, and what seems to be a patristic consensus of the interpretation, sounds like the Father to me.

The patristic evidence certainly seems to favour such an interpretation, even if they consider it a reference to the Son elsewhere. However, in the context of what is rather abstract imagery, I don't necessarily think one has to view the vision in adoptionist terms were one to understand both as refering to the Son.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »

Is it possible that the Ancient of Days according to the Prophet Daniel is the Father, while the Ancient of Days in the Apocalypse is Christ? The reason I ask is because St. John's description of Christ in the Apocalypse is very similar to the Prophet's description of the Ancient of Days in the book of Daniel.

If one understands "Ancient of Days" to simply mean "Eternal" or "Pre-existing", then that's certainly possible.

I wonder if it can't be both at the same time. If one takes as a starting point John 1:18, perhaps it is possible that both the Son of Man and the Ancient of Days in Daniel is an apparition of the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, but that the one is nonetheless an image of the Father (cf. Col. 1:15). Thus, while it is the Son alone who appears, the vision is still one of the Son ascending to the Father.  Huh
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »

The patristic evidence certainly seems to favour such an interpretation, even if they consider it a reference to the Son elsewhere. However, in the context of what is rather abstract imagery, I don't necessarily think one has to view the vision in adoptionist terms were one to understand both as refering to the Son.
I don't know.  Perhaps my views are anachronistic.

Revelations is interesting.  I would add that we should keep in mind that Revelations is unfulfilled yet, although rich with spiritual imagery for our lives today.  Therefore, it's okay to consider a certain mystery into the image of Christ as the Ancient of Days, and quite more vivid than the picture given by the book of Daniel.  The Ancient of Days seems to be a description of something more eternal, like "Pantocrator."  In the Creed, Pantocrator is referred specifically to the Father, even though elsewhere we say the Son is also Pantocrator.  So context should be important.

Nevertheless all good questions, and would be interesting to read more about.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:28:02 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Tags: Ancient of Days 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: