OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:32:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's redeemable in popular culture?  (Read 671 times) Average Rating: 0
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« on: December 19, 2004, 12:47:40 AM »

Okay.....

I know that there are special places elsewhere where this is discussed. But truth to tell, I haven't been to those places, (virtual and otherwise...honest!), and I want to know what people on this forum think.

Sometimes I think quite a bit about this, sometimes not at all. So, how about it? Are there elements in popular culture that are "transformable" or "baptisable" or some other invented word like that, or is it all basically just chicken fodder or worse?  Certainly, there were elements of popular culture in the early days of the Church that the Holy Fathers warned us to never partake of, and to repudiate as being the work of the evil one. 
How far is too far to go in assuming not just "popular" culture, but central parts of a culture and making it our own.  Have we already gone much too far?  Perhaps this is too broad a question to answer here.  I'd just like to know what you think, including if this topic is too large, good, or a non-starter.  Thank you.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 07:44:37 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: