OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 07:27:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syriac compared with Armenian/Coptic  (Read 420 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: October 18, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »

I just found a thread where I asked about differences between the Coptic Church and the Armenian Church. I recently found a Syriac Church near me. Are there any differences between this church are the Coptic or Armenian?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

Are you asking for Liturgical or Theological differences?

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »

I suppose both. I am sure the bulk of the theology is the same, but someone mentioned a couple slight differences between Coptic and Armenian such as whose baptism was accepted, etc.  There were some interesting comments on how worship is conducts and customs and on what is Tesbeha in the Coptic Church that is not in the Armenian. I am looking for stuff like that. Is there anything I should know if I visit?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »

I suppose both. I am sure the bulk of the theology is the same, but someone mentioned a couple slight differences between Coptic and Armenian such as whose baptism was accepted, etc.  There were some interesting comments on how worship is conducts and customs and on what is Tesbeha in the Coptic Church that is not in the Armenian. I am looking for stuff like that. Is there anything I should know if I visit?

Er, all of our Theology is the same (at least it should be). As I understood it, the difference between which baptisms are accepted have more to do with the application of Economy.

Back on topic, I think you'll find Syriac practice much more similar to Armenian practice when compared to Coptic rite. E.G, Deacons being allowed to cense, communion being given under two kinds simultaneously, etc. I think this is due to the more frequent contact between the Armenian and Syrian churches through the centuries.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 06:20:29 PM by sheenj » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: