OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 07:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Maximus the Greek and Savonarola  (Read 3345 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »

Orthodox and Catholics alike may find this article about St. Maximus the Greek as fascinating as I did:

http://logismoitouaaron.blogspot.com/2010/02/vouchsafed-intelligence-of-rhetorsst.html

Particularly of note is St. Maximus' sojourn in Italy and his admiration for Savonarola: He extolled him as a man ‘filled with every kind of wisdom’, and added, perhaps with a touch of tactful self-censorship, that, had Savonarola not belonged to the Latin faith, he would surely have been numbered among the Church’s holy confessors...

St. Maximus himself later participated in the Non-Possessor movement in Russia which had a lot in common with Savonarola's movement.

I'm wondering what today's Catholics make of Savonarola. I have read there is some effort in the Dominican order to rehabilitate or even canonize him.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »

Man I'm disappointed. I guess nobody gets fired up about ol' Savonarola no more.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »

Man I'm disappointed. I guess nobody gets fired up about ol' Savonarola no more.

Not so!  I for one was stunned and thrilled to see this topic heading.  Since the first I learned of Savonarola, I have prayed that the Church would acknowledge his holiness and the wrongfulness of his murder...AND I sit here typing across from an icon of Maximos the Greek. 

So...there!

M.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »

PS: I have also been a long-time fan of Logismoi, the blog, and its author!!

Not so!  I for one was stunned and thrilled to see this topic heading.  Since the first I learned of Savonarola, I have prayed that the Church would acknowledge his holiness and the wrongfulness of his murder...AND I sit here typing across from an icon of Maximos the Greek. 

So...there!

M.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »

I read the OP and thought it quite interesting; but I wasn't really sure what I could say that would be "safe". (I feel I had another of the rumors being spread about me.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: