Author Topic: St. Maximus the Greek and Savonarola  (Read 4489 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
St. Maximus the Greek and Savonarola
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »
Orthodox and Catholics alike may find this article about St. Maximus the Greek as fascinating as I did:

http://logismoitouaaron.blogspot.com/2010/02/vouchsafed-intelligence-of-rhetorsst.html

Particularly of note is St. Maximus' sojourn in Italy and his admiration for Savonarola: He extolled him as a man ‘filled with every kind of wisdom’, and added, perhaps with a touch of tactful self-censorship, that, had Savonarola not belonged to the Latin faith, he would surely have been numbered among the Church’s holy confessors...

St. Maximus himself later participated in the Non-Possessor movement in Russia which had a lot in common with Savonarola's movement.

I'm wondering what today's Catholics make of Savonarola. I have read there is some effort in the Dominican order to rehabilitate or even canonize him.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: St. Maximus the Greek and Savonarola
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
Man I'm disappointed. I guess nobody gets fired up about ol' Savonarola no more.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
    • Irenikin: The Skete
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
Man I'm disappointed. I guess nobody gets fired up about ol' Savonarola no more.

Not so!  I for one was stunned and thrilled to see this topic heading.  Since the first I learned of Savonarola, I have prayed that the Church would acknowledge his holiness and the wrongfulness of his murder...AND I sit here typing across from an icon of Maximos the Greek. 

So...there!

M.

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
    • Irenikin: The Skete
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
PS: I have also been a long-time fan of Logismoi, the blog, and its author!!

Not so!  I for one was stunned and thrilled to see this topic heading.  Since the first I learned of Savonarola, I have prayed that the Church would acknowledge his holiness and the wrongfulness of his murder...AND I sit here typing across from an icon of Maximos the Greek. 

So...there!

M.

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »

I read the OP and thought it quite interesting; but I wasn't really sure what I could say that would be "safe". (I feel I had another of the rumors being spread about me.)
- Peter Jericho