OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint Marianne Cope  (Read 186 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: October 20, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »

I may disagree with the Catholic Church on some issues, but I have to admit I admire some of her saints.  This new saint seems to be a very remarkable woman:

Saint Marianne Cope, as she will soon be known, may be best remembered for her work with patients suffering from Hansen's disease -- or lepers, as they were called at the time.

In Hawaii in the late 1800s, people were so afraid of the disease that even those with simple, unrelated rashes were often banished to the remote island of Molokai. They remained at this leper colony for the rest of their lives, far away from family and friends. Their children became orphans.

An island priest who was worried about this health crisis wrote to nearly 50 different religious congregations asking for help. But the work was perceived as so dangerous that only Mother Marianne responded. Before she made her long journey to the remote islands, though, she radically changed medical practices on the mainland.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/20/health/saint-marianne-cope/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

May she pray for us all.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: