OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 12:21:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RC to EC to Orthodoxy to EC to Orthodoxy  (Read 679 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: October 18, 2012, 01:00:50 PM »

A nice story I can relate to, and for all others considering conversion to Holy Orthodoxy, worth listening to (or reading the transcript)

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/byzantine_catholics_journey_to_from_and_back_again_to_the_orthodox_ch
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:06:38 PM »

A nice story I can relate to, and for all others considering conversion to Holy Orthodoxy, worth listening to (or reading the transcript)

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/byzantine_catholics_journey_to_from_and_back_again_to_the_orthodox_ch

Heck, back in the pre-world war 2 days, this was commonplace in the USA - priests, parishes even Bishops did the 'back and forth and back again..' from time to time!  Smiley
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »

You should have been born in the Netherlands. No Eastern Catholic parish here. It would have made things so much easier for you  Wink

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 01:24:23 PM »

You should have been born in the Netherlands. No Eastern Catholic parish here. It would have made things so much easier for you  Wink

Listen to the interview.  The guy said that if not for the Byzantine Catholic Church, he would have never considered Orthdoxy.  I am on the same boat.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »

Heck, back in the pre-world war 2 days, this was commonplace in the USA - priests, parishes even Bishops did the 'back and forth and back again..' from time to time!  Smiley

It's very easy when all you have to do is literally go across the street. Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »

Listen to the interview.  The guy said that if not for the Byzantine Catholic Church, he would have never considered Orthdoxy.  I am on the same boat.

See, it would have been easier!  Wink

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »

You mean I wouldn't be "caught in the middle"?

But I'll be a spiritually hungry nominal Roman Catholic.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »

All kidding aside, had my ancestors not been Orthodox through the 16th century they would not have been Eastern Catholic through 1938 and had they not been Eastern Catholic in 1938 they would not have 'returned' to the Orthodox faith. Of course, at the local, village level, they and those before them over the centuries would likely not have acknowledged they had 'changed' their faith in the first place, but that is a discussion for another thread and one in which definitions are at issue.....
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »

Just curious... what do you feel is missing in the Latin Church?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
choy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »

It has become too legalistic.  I do things because Canon this or CCC that says so.  I don't feel that there is true spiritual growth and true change out of it.  I have faithfully followed a lot of things as taught, like the Sunday Obligation, Fasting Days, I even followed some devotions like First Friday.  I just felt like I am where I have always been.  In recent years there has been a desire to know more and be a better Christian after spending a good part of my "young adulthood" in liberal ideas.  But aside from being more disciplined to actually follow rules due to my maturity, I feel that it is the same thing I had growing up.

With Byzantine Christianity, I found the answers I had been looking for.  Everything made sense, and it is not just about rules.  I learned why we fast and that fasting is not just for the sake of not eating something because it is a mortal sin if you do.  Everything about the faith just started making more sense, why we do the things we do and how we do it all is part of a bigger picture which end goal is our salvation.

I had a chat with my Bishop about my present concerns and I was telling him that I don't feel I belong in his Church.  His first thought was I was going back to being a Roman Catholic.  I said I would never do that.  In the Byzantine Faith I have found the Kingdom of God and like the man who discovered the treasure in the field, I am willing to sell all my belongings to acquire it.  That is, if I cannot acquire it in the Eastern Catholic Church then I will go to the Orthodox Church.  But I do not see myself becoming Roman Catholic again.  There would have to be a huge change in the Latin faith for me to come back, and I don't even see it on the horizon.  What the Traditional Catholics are doing is not appealing to me.  I explored Traditional Catholicism before I ended up in the Ukrainian Catholic Church.  It was a more beautiful expression of the same thing.  And with all the issues with the SSPX and all their ranting about "Novus Ordo" practices, it wasn't a spiritually healthy environment.  So no going back to the Latin Rite.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

It has become too legalistic.  I do things because Canon this or CCC that says so.  I don't feel that there is true spiritual growth and true change out of it.  I have faithfully followed a lot of things as taught, like the Sunday Obligation, Fasting Days, I even followed some devotions like First Friday.  I just felt like I am where I have always been.  In recent years there has been a desire to know more and be a better Christian after spending a good part of my "young adulthood" in liberal ideas.  But aside from being more disciplined to actually follow rules due to my maturity, I feel that it is the same thing I had growing up.

With Byzantine Christianity, I found the answers I had been looking for.  Everything made sense, and it is not just about rules.  I learned why we fast and that fasting is not just for the sake of not eating something because it is a mortal sin if you do.  Everything about the faith just started making more sense, why we do the things we do and how we do it all is part of a bigger picture which end goal is our salvation.

I had a chat with my Bishop about my present concerns and I was telling him that I don't feel I belong in his Church.  His first thought was I was going back to being a Roman Catholic.  I said I would never do that.  In the Byzantine Faith I have found the Kingdom of God and like the man who discovered the treasure in the field, I am willing to sell all my belongings to acquire it.  That is, if I cannot acquire it in the Eastern Catholic Church then I will go to the Orthodox Church.  But I do not see myself becoming Roman Catholic again.  There would have to be a huge change in the Latin faith for me to come back, and I don't even see it on the horizon.  What the Traditional Catholics are doing is not appealing to me.  I explored Traditional Catholicism before I ended up in the Ukrainian Catholic Church.  It was a more beautiful expression of the same thing.  And with all the issues with the SSPX and all their ranting about "Novus Ordo" practices, it wasn't a spiritually healthy environment.  So no going back to the Latin Rite.

I am just curious. Does it mean that you will be orthodox like OCA, ROCOR or Greek Orthodox?

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »

I am just curious. Does it mean that you will be orthodox like OCA, ROCOR or Greek Orthodox?

I am investigating a move to the OCA, yes.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »

May the Lord bless your journey.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 06:57:20 PM »

People here quote the canons a lot more than anyone talked about canon law when I was in the RCC.

Funny, that.  Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »

I am investigating a move to the OCA, yes.

I wish you best of luck and you are in my prayers.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »

People here quote the canons a lot more than anyone talked about canon law when I was in the RCC.

Funny, that.  Roll Eyes

Well, that is my experience.  I think people are taking to the canons and the CCC as an effort to counter the scripture-quoting of sola scriptura Christians.  "Oh, you have a quote in the Bible, I have a quote from the CCC!"  The problem is that everyone with a little above average interest in the faith think they should become an Apologist as if it is a hobby or varsity sport.

The Orthodox Church is not a perfect Church.  It has its problems.  The parish I am looking to join is much better than any of the RC or EC parishes in my area.  That is all I can ask for.  If they're having problems with this bishop and that bishop fighting in some land 5000 miles away, so what?  My everyday life is affected by the parish that I am in, by the priest that guides me and my family spiritually.  Even if the Pope is the epitome of ecclesiastical stability (let's just say for the sake of argument that he is), how does that affect me directly where I am if the parishes where I am at does not nourish me spiritually?  And so what if this Orthodox parish or that Orthodox parish in a land 3000 miles away is nominal, perhaps even liberal?  We have that in the Catholic Church too.  And I am not going to that parish.  I am looking at going to one that is Orthodox in every sense of the word.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 05:42:39 PM »

biro, i missed your chrismation date!
(somewhere in those 7,000 posts, i am sorry i did not read them all!)
 Wink
many belated years!
 Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: