OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:03:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which are the English bible versions approved for Divine Liturgy?  (Read 1194 times) Average Rating: 0
kx9

Faith: Christian

« on: October 18, 2012, 03:41:20 AM »

May I inquire which all English Bibles versions are officially approved by the EOC for Divine Liturgy. Please provide the list.

Thanks.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »

I don't think there are any officially approved versions. My parish uses the KJV for the Gospel readings.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »

I asked a similar question of my catechist when I was becoming Orthodox. He looked at me like I'd just asked a strange question, and he didn't know. We did eventually find out what was used there, but to be honest it doesn't really matter as there is no agreed-upon version.

An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith
A Rough Overview of What a Handful of Greek-Speaking Christians Wrote in the 4th-7th Centuries
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »

I've heard of the KJV and Douay-Rheims bring used. For sure I the Antiochians use the KJV for the psalms (where the HTM psalter isn't used).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:08:50 PM by age234 » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »

My home parish uses the NKJV. My current parish (and many others) use KJV, and I've heard of the Douay-Rheims being used. A lot of Orthodox like the RSV, too, but I don't think I've heard it used.

Suffice it to say, there's not formal list of English translations, not that I know of anyway.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
kx9

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:11:43 AM »

Thank you for all your answers. I feel surprised that the EOC even uses the KJV (a Protestant Bible) for Divine Liturgy.

On the other hand, I heard that the RCC approves only certain Bible versions for Holy Mass, and the others are not accepted.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:12:16 AM by kx9 » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 04:35:39 AM »

Thank you for all your answers. I feel surprised that the EOC even uses the KJV (a Protestant Bible) for Divine Liturgy.

On the other hand, I heard that the RCC approves only certain Bible versions for Holy Mass, and the others are not accepted.

There are not many EO translations and the KJV follows the Byzantine Text instead of the Alexandrian.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
kx9

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 04:46:32 AM »

There are not many EO translations and the KJV follows the Byzantine Text instead of the Alexandrian.

Thanks for this info. Could you explain a bit about the differences between the Byzantine Text and the Alexandrian Text? And why does the EOC prefer the Byzantine Text?
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 04:54:02 AM »

Wiki knows.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »

Holy Cross Orthodox Press, the publishing arm of the Holy Cross School of Theology, an institution of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, publishes the Gospel Book and the Apostolos (Book of Epistles) which use the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, if I'm not mistaken.   These publications were both endorsed by Archbishop Iakovos of America, of Blessed Memory.  "The Orthodox Study Bible," which is used in church too, uses the New King James Version and is endorsed by the Standing Conference of Orthodox Bishops of the Americas (SCOBA), the predecessor of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops on North and Central America (ACOB).

None of the commonly distributed English language bibles are officially accepted for worship services primarily, because their Old Testaments do not include all the books of the Septuagint, the Apocrypha.   Only the Greek language "Evangelion" ("Book of the Gospels") published by the Ecumenical Patriarchate in 1904 is officially authorized for use in the Divine Services of the churches, that are under the jurisdiction of the Church of Constantinople.

I am distinguishing herein with "officialy approved," vs. "endorsed" and "used."

The "Common Bible," which used the Revised Standard Version, published in the 1970's, included the Apocryphal books of the Septuagint and was endorsed by Archbishop Iakovos also, but for some reason was never commonly used in Orthodox Church worship.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:25:48 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »

Whatever the translation's origins, I'm hard-pressed to find anything wrong with it for Orthodox use, aside from the Old Testament being based on the Masoretic text. It (along with the NKJV) has the advantage over other English Bibles of using a Byzantine text for its New Testament.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »

Whatever the translation's origins, I'm hard-pressed to find anything wrong with it for Orthodox use, aside from the Old Testament being based on the Masoretic text. It (along with the NKJV) has the advantage over other English Bibles of using a Byzantine text for its New Testament.

True, but to date there hasn't been a good English translation of the Septuagint.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »

As far as I know, there isn't really an officially approved translation. On a side note, I look forward to the release of the EOB (Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible, apparently to be released late 2012).
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »

True, but to date there hasn't been a good English translation of the Septuagint.

If you like the style of the KJV, there is now a KJV Septuagint available online, revised by Michael Asser. He recently announced that there are plans to publish it in book form by September 2013.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:44:53 PM by Iconodule » Logged

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 04:46:52 AM »

As far as I know, there isn't really an officially approved translation. On a side note, I look forward to the release of the EOB (Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible, apparently to be released late 2012).

What entity is working on this, do you know?  Who will be the publisher?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 05:17:18 AM »

Check out the website here:
http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/osb.asp

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 06:52:34 AM »

cyrillic, there is the orthodox study Bible:

http://www.thomasnelson.com/the-orthodox-study-bible.html

it has a good english septuagint translation and the new testament is the new king james version with orthodox study notes.
everyone i know who has it is impressed.

i strongly recommend it to all people considering / investigating orthodox Christianity.
 Smiley
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 09:08:36 AM »

All the info is here: http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/eob/

They use a print-on-demand publisher (lulu.com).
Their New Testament has been out for a while. It has some annoying aspects, like translating "episkopos" as "overseer. It looks like Fr. Laurent Cleenewerck is the one most responsible for the project and some of his pet theories about apostolic succession are pushed in the appendix. They seem to be chronically behind schedule- their Psalter was supposed to be released a long time ago. I'd be very surprised if their Old Testament were finished by the end of the year.

age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »

I'm looking forward to both the KJV LXX and the EOB. The OSB doesn't do it for me, for some reason. I've never cared for study bibles though.

For now I use the RSV and the New English Translation of the Septuagint for reference.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »

What entity is working on this, do you know?  Who will be the publisher?

Their New Testament has been out for a while. It has some annoying aspects, like translating "episkopos" as "overseer. It looks like Fr. Laurent Cleenewerck is the one most responsible for the project and some of his pet theories about apostolic succession are pushed in the appendix. They seem to be chronically behind schedule- their Psalter was supposed to be released a long time ago. I'd be very surprised if their Old Testament were finished by the end of the year.

I read their home page. I haven't heard of anyone associated with this project.  There is no indication, from what I read, as to how this group got put together.  Are the priests canonical, in churches under ACOB?  Is there an episcopal overseer?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:31:06 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »

I heard that the OSB Septuagint translation is far from perfect with as example psalm 23, which uses the Masoretic instead of the LXX.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »

What entity is working on this, do you know?  Who will be the publisher?

I read their home page. I haven't heard of anyone associated with this project.  There is no indication, from what I read, as to how this group got put together.  Are the priests canonical, in churches under ACOB?  Is there an episcopal overseer?

Fr. Laurent is an OCA priest. I don't know if there is any episcopal oversight.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »

Ok, good, glad to hear this.  Thanks. I don't know why they don't publish it through the church, have it issued by the OCA.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 04:01:02 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

Randa

Jurisdiction: Non Sectarian

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »

That's because they actually have their own translations of the Bible (i.e. Bibles translated by Catholics for Catholics and approved by Catholic authorities), the Orthodox Church does not, at least not in English.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: