OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beautiful Game Just Became More Erotic  (Read 1680 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« on: October 17, 2012, 11:07:37 PM »

Greek team turns to brothels as sponsors

The world's oldest profession is giving a whole new meaning to love of the game.

Players on a cash-strapped Greek soccer team now wear pink practice jerseys with the logos "Villa Erotica" and "Soula's House of History," two bordellos it recruited as sponsors after drastic government spending cuts left the country's sports clubs facing ruin.

Other teams have also turned to unconventional financing. One has a deal with a local funeral home and others have wooed kebab shops, a jam factory and producers of Greece's trademark feta cheese...

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »

The world's oldest profession is giving a whole new meaning to love of the game.

Players on a cash-strapped Greek soccer team now wear pink practice jerseys with the logos "Villa Erotica" and "Soula's House of History," two bordellos it recruited as sponsors after drastic government spending cuts left the country's sports clubs facing ruin.

Other teams have also turned to unconventional financing. One has a deal with a local funeral home and others have wooed kebab shops, a jam factory and producers of Greece's trademark feta cheese...

AMATEUR TEAMS!!!

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Soccer wasn't yia yia approved before this, so you were all already going to hell anyways  angel

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:33:12 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:34:48 PM »

What is this about a beautiful game?  I only see mention of soccer.   Huh
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:56:09 PM »

MMA is the only sport worth watching, IMHO.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »

MMA

Only sport gayer than bodybuilding!  Grin

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »

You seem not to have heard of Pele. It was he who coined the phrase "The Bautiful Game" to describe soccer/football.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »

You seem not to have heard of Pele. It was he who coined the phrase "The Bautiful Game" to describe soccer/football.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:57 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

The smiley suggested he was serious. If he were kidding, it would have been  Wink or  Grin
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 01:17:38 AM »

What is this about a beautiful game?  I only see mention of soccer FOOTBALL.   Huh

It's called football. Only nerds, and people who like men hugging, call it soccer. Wink
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:19:01 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »

MMA

Only sport gayer than bodybuilding!  Grin

I have watched plenty of fights and not one of them involved buggery.

EDIT - Come to think of it, I think I saw a Brazilian grabbing for someone's gonads once. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:27:59 PM by vamrat » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »

MMA

Only sport gayer than bodybuilding!  Grin

I have watched plenty of fights and not one of them involved buggery.

EDIT - Come to think of it, I think I saw a Brazilian grabbing for someone's gonads once. 

There was a study done at Macon Itup University, in which they attached electrodes and whatnot to the private parts of people. There was clearly more of a sexualized reaction in the participants while watching MMA than bodybuilding. Apparently ground and pound excited men the most, while arm bars excited women the most. However, any apperance of Dana White instantly ended any sexualized activity.

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »

The smiley suggested he was serious. If he were kidding, it would have been  Wink or  Grin

I am very serious about internet sarcasm.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »

What is this about a beautiful game?  I only see mention of soccer FOOTBALL.   Huh

It's called football. Only nerds, and people who like men hugging, call it soccer. Wink

And don't forget the Brits who coined the phrase.

Oh yeah, and the Aussies whose national team is called the Socceroos. 

And I always thought it was people who argued over semantics as nerds.  I should know, I'm one of them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:52:27 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

AMATEUR TEAMS!!!

Because this is so much classier:

Emboldened by the announcement of its seven-year, £350 million ($559 million) shirt sponsorship deal with General Motors set to begin in 2014, Manchester United has bought back the training kit sponsorship rights it sold to DHL in 2010, cutting short a massive £40 million deal over four years. Again, that was £40 million over four years just to have the letters DHL on the club's training kits -- more than most Premier League clubs get for sponsorship of their actual match kits. And now it's not good enough.
Source

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »

What is this about a beautiful game?  I only see mention of soccer FOOTBALL.   Huh

And I always thought it was people who argued over semantics as nerds.  I should know, I'm one of them.

And now that I think about it, the Irish use "soccer" as well to differentiate association football from Gaelic football because, according to them, only the latter is "real" football.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »

And now that I think about it, the Irish use "soccer" as well to differentiate association football from Gaelic football because, according to them, only the latter is "real" football.

I usually refer to Rochambeau as foot ball.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »

Real football Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »

Real football Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

you mean a game where, not only do they barely use their feet, they also do not know how to tackle

i use soccer because it is easier to distinguish between rugby football, association football, and american football, not to mention the many other codes.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »

Footie, a.k.a. "soccer" = greatest game God allowed man to invent.

Glory glory Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »

you mean a game where, not only do they barely use their feet, they also do not know how to tackle

I was being facetious, that hit was so ugly it is criminal.  I'm still fuming from a helmet to helmet hit on the opening Raider-Steelers game which left Oakland's Heyward-Bey knocked unconscious out on the ground in the endzone for NINE MINUTES.  Me and Bill Simmons literally thought he was dead until we came to and gave us a thumbs up, it was that bad of a hit.  I posted that to show how not beautiful American football is, besides, no one loves soccer more than me, I watched like 40 games during the last World Cup and even wasted my time with the Americas Cup the following year, but I don't follow the Euro Cup so I ditched it this summer to watch a dozen Olympic soccer matches Wink

Besides, its not soccer or football, where I'm at its called futbol yo  angel

And have you ever watched an NFL football practice? Those guys have AMAZING footwork the move with more force and yet agility than NBA players, it just isn't as visible as in the more precision oriented futbol..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »

Besides, its not soccer or football, where I'm at its called futbol

South/Central America, Portugal, or Spain?

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »

AMATEUR TEAMS!!!

Because this is so much classier:

Emboldened by the announcement of its seven-year, £350 million ($559 million) shirt sponsorship deal with General Motors set to begin in 2014, Manchester United has bought back the training kit sponsorship rights it sold to DHL in 2010, cutting short a massive £40 million deal over four years. Again, that was £40 million over four years just to have the letters DHL on the club's training kits -- more than most Premier League clubs get for sponsorship of their actual match kits. And now it's not good enough.
Source

Are you kidding? Of course it is classier.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »

What is this about a beautiful game?  I only see mention of soccer FOOTBALL.   Huh

And I always thought it was people who argued over semantics as nerds.  I should know, I'm one of them.

No, the average Australian may say 'soccer', but the Australian media still calls it FOOTBALL.

Brits may have coined it from "association football". But they don't call it that. They call it football, that should be obvious. laugh

Plus, what's that to do with the price of rice in China? lol. That's still a small minority of the world. Where I am from it is football.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:24:23 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »

Glory glory Smiley

PP

I concur!

Forgive my sins.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »

I've always thought that it was funny that many Americans say that football is more masculine than soccer. Football is a game where a bunch of men in tights pile on top of each other.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »

I've always thought that it was funny that many Americans say that football is more masculine than soccer. Football is a game where a bunch of men in tights pile on top of each other.

Smiley

On a OC.net diet.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »

Smiley

Wink

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:47:34 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »

Real football Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Glory glory Smiley

PP

I concur!

Athletic Union of Constantinople

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »

Athletic Union of Constantinople

AEK are my favourite Greek club. Manchester United just happen to be my favourite English club. Rosenborg BK is my favourite club in the world. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:05:37 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 06:18:31 AM »

Rosenborg BK
Are they on the new FIFA?

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 05:03:31 PM »

Rosenborg BK

They are in the FIFA games every year...as is all of Norway's Tippeligaen. lol
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:06:11 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 07:27:58 AM »

Rosenborg BK

Dont follow the Tippeligaen....mebbe I should. I love the players that come out of that area of the world, and the national team's style of play.

PP

Gregory the Great

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 09:24:31 AM »

Rosenborg BK

Dont follow the Tippeligaen....mebbe I should. I love the players that come out of that area of the world, and the national team's style of play.

PP

If you like physicality, you'd love the Norwegian style of football. We have the most physical league in the world, hands down. Plenty of good scoring contests. As far a the skill level, it is your average European league, probably about MLS level.

Forgive my sins.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »

and the national team's style of play.

Yeah, losing is awesome.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »

If you like physicality, you'd love the Norwegian style of football. We have the most physical league in the world, hands down
Thats why I love the Bundesliga. I miss that physicality in the EPL but since the city of Manchester isnt going to pull up its roots any time soon.......

Yeah, losing is awesome
The style of play is great, but from what Ive seen the skill level isnt there yet (national team is what I speak of)

PP

Gregory the Great

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »

and the national team's style of play.

Yeah, losing is awesome.

We finished 5-1-2 in Euro 2012 qualifying, tied for second on the table with Portugal (Portugal advanced due to goal difference). We were in a group with Danmark and Portugal for Pete's sake. We did well. Wink

We haven't lost a game since the disappointing loss to Iceland in September.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:44:36 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:01 PM »

Okay...American Football....is like the human version of bumper cars.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »

Okay...American Football....is like the human version of bumper cars.

Again, that was an example of what not to do in NFL football  police

For an example of what not to do in soccer:

Don't forget Saurez Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »

For an example of what not to do in soccer:

[snip]

stay blessed,
habte selassie

You mean win? /sarcasm
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:34:17 PM by sheenj » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 08:48:32 PM »

You mean win?

True, winning can be very important, ask New England Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:48:43 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: