OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:09:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Marriages  (Read 1030 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: October 17, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »

Are there any Orthodox books which deal with multiple marriages, preferrably touching upon 2nd marriages after the death of a spouse? I've read a few works on widows in the Fathers (Sts. Ambrose, John Chrysostom and Augustine), but I'd like to read something a bit more comprehensive/detailed.

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »

Anyone?

Don't tell me I have to do the legwork myself. Please?  angel

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »

What exactly are you looking for? Spiritual advice for those looking to remarry, or merely the general view on when remarriage is deemed appropriate?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »

I guess something comprehensive... sort of anything and everything. I've read a few works and canons, but it's from very few sources, mainly limited to the 4th-5th centuries, and I'd like to get a broader of understanding of what the Church says about remarrying.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »

Ugh, I was just reading something about second marriages and those about after death. Something involving a penance.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »

The Orthodox Guide to the Galaxy has this to say about multiple marriages: Avoid, if at all possible.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »

If you just put "divorce and remarriage in the early church" into google you will get some great results.

Also this article comes up which has a nice & simple overview

http://www.theologicalstudies.org.uk/article_divorce_snuth.html

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »

If you just put "divorce and remarriage in the early church" into google you will get some great results.

So did the early church (at least some) believe in an eternal marriage? That's what some of those quotes seem to imply, interestingly enough.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:31:42 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »

Thanks!

So did the early church (at least some) believe in an eternal marriage? That's what some of those quotes seem to imply, interestingly enough.

We've discussed that in the past (for example, here), but not really reached a consensus I think.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »

It lacks an Orthodox element, however, Father.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 11:45:13 PM »

Thanks!

We've discussed that in the past (for example, here), but not really reached a consensus I think.

Thank you.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 10:37:11 AM »

Hardly comprehensive, but a quote I happened to have at hand:

"Let not those who have been but once married, set at nought them who have involved themselves in a second marriage. Continence is indeed a noble thing and an admirable one; yet we should make allowance  for a second marriage, that the weak may not commit fornication. It is good for them if they abide even as I, says the Apostle, but if they cannot contain, let them remarry; it is better to marry than to burn." St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 4:26
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »

Are there any Orthodox books which deal with multiple marriages, preferrably touching upon 2nd marriages after the death of a spouse? I've read a few works on widows in the Fathers (Sts. Ambrose, John Chrysostom and Augustine), but I'd like to read something a bit more comprehensive/detailed.

Unfortunately I have been through exactly that situation.

Is the reposed wife Orthodox? That would be a pivotal question and was the wedding performed in an Orthodox Church? 

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »

Anyone?

Don't tell me I have to do the legwork myself. Please?  angel

I once read something about it in St. Jerome's epistles. Do you want me to go and look for it?

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
JorgenThorbjørnsen

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »

Personally, if I got a divorce, I would not get remarried. Same if my spouse died. But, that is something that people should refer to their spiritual father about.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Aren't we forgetting about the concepts of Repentance (Reconciliation) and Absolution? If our sins are truly obliterated and forgotten, how should things like divorce somehow bar us from marrying again?  I'm not talking about in the holy-roller kind of way, rather, if folks have seriously under the guidance of their Spiritual Fathers worked towards sincere Repentance after having also and truly given their all in reconciling their previous marriage?  Should folks be held accountable for sins which have been Absolved?

Also, we should consider the economic and political changes in our modern society which have made a fundamentalist approach to the Canons inappropriate.  Society as a whole was structured around marriage, both in land tenure, employment, control of financial assets, familial roles, and community involvement.  It is not that women were entirely subject to men, or that men were entirely subject to women, but that both genders had specific societal roles which were dictated around marriage.  In our modern world, so many folks are raised by single parents, so many Marriages are more symbolic than literal unions, so many families, cultures, and social support systems today are evolved around single parenting, specifically women.  In a weird way, the modern world (not just Western but the "developing world" too) is almost seemingly shifting towards favoring a Matriarchy.  Sure hard power is still enforced largely through male roles, however increasingly women are heads of households, are the primary care-giver, and further are actively involved in government, in politics, and in society as a whole.  Its not that women's roles were ever negated, however they previously under the Patriarchy model were more nuanced and subtle, today they are more overt and recognized.  This shifts how we deal with divorce then.  If our society as a whole, particularly those outside of the Church, is structured around independence and also around the significance of women in the family unit, then is it beneficial for the Church to stick with an anachronistic approach to marriage?  I am not advocating that we suddenly become divorce friendly, but rather, that we as a Christian community focus more on the flexibility of love, compassion, and forgiveness rather than sticking to a fundamentalist approach to the Canons, one which seems always to have been discouraged by the Fathers example. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:42:55 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
choy
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »

Isn't divorce and remarriage covered in Fr. John Meyendorff's book?

http://www.amazon.com/Marriage-Orthodox-Perspective-John-Meyendorff/dp/0913836052/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350672440&sr=8-1&keywords=Marriage%3A+an+orthodox
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »

No. Eternal marriage, AFAIK, was never preached by the Church. Perhaps by individuals here and there, but so was millenialism.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:31 PM »

Hardly comprehensive, but a quote I happened to have at hand:

"Let not those who have been but once married, set at nought them who have involved themselves in a second marriage. Continence is indeed a noble thing and an admirable one; yet we should make allowance  for a second marriage, that the weak may not commit fornication. It is good for them if they abide even as I, says the Apostle, but if they cannot contain, let them remarry; it is better to marry than to burn." St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 4:26

This works for me.  Basically, not getting remarried is preferred, but if one is going to engage in fornication because one is unable to discipline oneself from animal instincts, remarry and not sin.

I don’t imagine I would ever have the desire to be in a relationship again if something happened to my wife.  Women are too much work and trouble. laugh
choy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 01:08:11 AM »

I just checked and its there.  GO AND BUY IT  Grin Tongue
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »

It lacks an Orthodox element, however, Father.

yah i know, i was on my phone & I just wanted to throw something out there & the OP sounded desperate. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 08:12:03 PM »

yah i know, i was on my phone & I just wanted to throw something out there & the OP sounded desperate. 

Only if I've been desparate for over 3 years... that's how long I've been thinking about it  Grin

But thank you all for the suggestions, and thank you for the offer Cyrillic but I'll end up combing through them since I think I'll just go through all the ccel stuff to see what turns up.

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »

Only if I've been desparate for over 3 years... that's how long I've been thinking about it  Grin

But thank you all for the suggestions, and thank you for the offer Cyrillic but I'll end up combing through them since I think I'll just go through all the ccel stuff to see what turns up.

sorry for offering a half hearted effort Asteriktos. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »

Sad Why did you apologize? Now I feel bad  police

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »

Sad Why did you apologize? Now I feel bad  police

because I did a bad job & I'm an honest person.  I preach forgiveness & repentance all day.  it would be pretty bad if I didn't offer it myself (that would by hypocrisy!)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
JorgenThorbjørnsen

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 11:28:40 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Aren't we forgetting about the concepts of Repentance (Reconciliation) and Absolution? If our sins are truly obliterated and forgotten, how should things like divorce somehow bar us from marrying again?  I'm not talking about in the holy-roller kind of way, rather, if folks have seriously under the guidance of their Spiritual Fathers worked towards sincere Repentance after having also and truly given their all in reconciling their previous marriage?  Should folks be held accountable for sins which have been Absolved?

Also, we should consider the economic and political changes in our modern society which have made a fundamentalist approach to the Canons inappropriate.  Society as a whole was structured around marriage, both in land tenure, employment, control of financial assets, familial roles, and community involvement.  It is not that women were entirely subject to men, or that men were entirely subject to women, but that both genders had specific societal roles which were dictated around marriage.  In our modern world, so many folks are raised by single parents, so many Marriages are more symbolic than literal unions, so many families, cultures, and social support systems today are evolved around single parenting, specifically women.  In a weird way, the modern world (not just Western but the "developing world" too) is almost seemingly shifting towards favoring a Matriarchy.  Sure hard power is still enforced largely through male roles, however increasingly women are heads of households, are the primary care-giver, and further are actively involved in government, in politics, and in society as a whole.  Its not that women's roles were ever negated, however they previously under the Patriarchy model were more nuanced and subtle, today they are more overt and recognized.  This shifts how we deal with divorce then.  If our society as a whole, particularly those outside of the Church, is structured around independence and also around the significance of women in the family unit, then is it beneficial for the Church to stick with an anachronistic approach to marriage?  I am not advocating that we suddenly become divorce friendly, but rather, that we as a Christian community focus more on the flexibility of love, compassion, and forgiveness rather than sticking to a fundamentalist approach to the Canons, one which seems always to have been discouraged by the Fathers example. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Orthodoxy regards the marriage bond as indissoluble, and it condemns the breakdown of marriage as a sin and an evil. The Orthodox Church does permits divorce and remarriage, as an exception, a necessary concession to human sin. While condemning sin, the Church desires to help the sinners and to allow them another chance, with an act of oikonomia . When a marriage has ceased to be a reality, the Orthodox Church faces the reality with philanthropia (loving kindness).

The Orthodox Church teaches that a second union can never be the same as the first. In the service for a second marriage, some of the joyful ceremonies are omitted and replaced by penitential prayers."

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Marriage

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 12:57:12 AM »

Aren't we forgetting about the concepts of Repentance (Reconciliation) and Absolution?  Should folks be held accountable for sins which have been Absolved?

Also, we should consider the economic and political changes in our modern society which have made a fundamentalist approach to the Canons inappropriate.

"Orthodoxy regards the marriage bond as indissoluble, and it condemns the breakdown of marriage as a sin and an evil. The Orthodox Church does permits divorce and remarriage, as an exception, a necessary concession to human sin. While condemning sin, the Church desires to help the sinners and to allow them another chance, with an act of oikonomia .
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Marriage

Seems like wiki agrees there Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:57:41 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 01:05:25 AM »

Is the reposed wife Orthodox? That would be a pivotal question and was the wedding performed in an Orthodox Church? 

Wife and husband were married in the Orthodox Church, but both apostacized. Wife died and (let's say) the husband returned to the Church.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 02:41:36 AM »

Wife and husband were married in the Orthodox Church, but both apostacized. Wife died and (let's say) the husband returned to the Church.

I have a book offer for you. How long would it take to pad this out to about 400 pages?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »

I have a book offer for you. How long would it take to pad this out to about 400 pages?

Rated PG-13 version = 200 pages
Rated R version = 300 pages
Rated NC-17 version = 400 pages

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: