OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 02:09:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this possible to be debt free from student loans?  (Read 1892 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 17, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »

Use credit lines and/or loans to pay my current expenses and everything that I make at my job goes straight to student loans. Once that is paid off, file bankruptcy on the rest of my consumer credit and start life debt free.

Don't see a problem here.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:19:32 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »

Don't parents support their kids' college tuition in this continent (North America)?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »

Don't parents support their kids' college tuition in this continent (North America)?
Americans actually owe more in student loan debt than consumer credit. It's about 109 billion, last time I checked and of course is rapidly growing. Average student loan debt is between 12-18k.

Because of the shrinking income in the middle class, families don't have the means to support their children's higher education. As the incomes of the middle class stay either stagnant or shrink, the cost of higher education keeps growing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:32:28 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »

Parents with a ton of extra money often do; to get an idea of how much school costs, I go to a public (state-owned) university; total cost of attendance (tuition, books, fees, cost of living, etc.) comes out to about 25K a year.  So unless my parents had 25 thousand they could throw toward my education, I'd have to be taking on some debt (or juggling a job...which would be nice if I could find one).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »

Get a scholarship or join the military.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »

Aindiru is trying to get me into the Air Force, for now, I will pass.

You think I'm smurt enough to get a scholarship?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »

Parents with a ton of extra money often do; to get an idea of how much school costs, I go to a public (state-owned) university; total cost of attendance (tuition, books, fees, cost of living, etc.) comes out to about 25K a year.  So unless my parents had 25 thousand they could throw toward my education, I'd have to be taking on some debt (or juggling a job...which would be nice if I could find one).
25k a year?! Wowza. I've been out of the college game for awhile and I keep going back and forth on a month to month basis.

What's stopping me, is of course the money element. I don't want debt.

And frankly I'd love to pick up a part time job to cover the costs but finding one that works with my schedule is impossible.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 07:03:21 PM »

It's best to at least try.

Some campuses will let you get an on campus job or internship in your field to pay for stuff.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »

Use credit lines and/or loans to pay my current expenses and everything that I make at my job goes straight to student loans. Once that is paid off, file bankruptcy on the rest of my consumer credit and start life debt free.

That...is probably the most awesome idea I've heard in a while.  Swindling the swindlers.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »

Doesn't a bankruptcy stay on your credit for like a decade 47 years or something?

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »

Doesn't a bankruptcy stay on your credit for like a decade 47 years or something?
Nah supposedly 7 years, but that's crap still.

I have two people I know personally that filed bankruptcy, and in two years had credit scores in he 700s, and got car loans with interests rates low as 6.5%.

You can still get a mortgage with bankruptcy too.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »

It's best to at least try.

Some campuses will let you get an on campus job or internship in your field to pay for stuff.
Those on campus jobs will pay nothin near what I make now and I can't afford to be on an internship.

Once I get a new job, then I'll work on the scholarship piece.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »

You'll never get enough on the CCs for long enough to pay the debt. Nice ethics, btw.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »

You'll never get enough on the CCs for long enough to pay the debt. Nice ethics, btw.
Depends on how much I owe. This has nothing to do with ethics.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »

None at all. After all there's no commandment that says "thou shall not steal".

Oh, wait.....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:57:07 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 07:57:54 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

Money you're borrowing without any intention of repaying.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

Credit that is lended to me, there is no guarentee, from the lender side, that I will repay. That's the risk.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 08:08:16 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

Credit that is lended to me, there is no guarentee, from the lender side, that I will repay. That's the risk.
"Loaned to me"? Great education you're getting.

So when you sign the agreement stating you will repay, you'll be lying? Whatever. rationalize it to yourself. You're right, this has nothing to do with ethics. Absolutely nothing.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »

Nah supposedly 7 years, but that's crap still.

I have two people I know personally that filed bankruptcy, and in two years had credit scores in he 700s, and got car loans with interests rates low as 6.5%.

You can still get a mortgage with bankruptcy too.

Know to people to turn that around even more quickly.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

Exactly.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

I got a good one.

lent or loaned is acceptable usage.

lended is non-standard usage.

Talk to your Rabbi about this.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:14:46 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

So when you sign the agreement stating you will repay, you'll be lying? Whatever. rationalize it to yourself. You're right, this has nothing to do with ethics. Absolutely nothing.
Actually the only promisorry note I've signed is for student loans. As far as consumer credit, nada. Well credit card companies are lending, better to call it opening, me a certain credit line at an interest rate, argue whatever you want on the terminology.

Still there is no guarantee I will pay back whatever I get opened on my credit line because how could there be? I can lose my job, get my hours cut at work, lose some of my salary, etc. This is why credit scores and other metrics are used to evaluate a person's credit worthiness, and depending upon how solid that is the more money that is available to use at a lower interest rate.

You want to argue over the ethics of using credit, that's a different story. But since I'm already in the credit system, I have to work within it.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »

Kid, you've got a hard life ahead.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 08:27:13 PM »

yeah, the world owes you after all.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »

Kid, you've got a hard life ahead.
Why?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 08:35:11 PM »

yeah, the world owes you after all.
Err what?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

Actually the only promisorry note I've signed is for student loans. As far as consumer credit, nada. Well credit card companies are lending, better to call it opening, me a certain credit line at an interest rate, argue whatever you want on the terminology.

Still there is no guarantee I will pay back whatever I get opened on my credit line because how could there be? I can lose my job, get my hours cut at work, lose some of my salary, etc. This is why credit scores and other metrics are used to evaluate a person's credit worthiness, and depending upon how solid that is the more money that is available to use at a lower interest rate.

You want to argue over the ethics of using credit, that's a different story. But since I'm already in the credit system, I have to work within it.

Have you not considered that you have a binding contract with the credit provider? Legally speaking, a promise to perform your part of the agreement.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »

Why don't you go teach English in Asia for a couple of years? My wife and I did it, and I'd highly recommend it. We didn't take care of a ton of our debt by doing so, but other people I know paid off all of their student debts in a couple of years. Also, doesn't America offer any kind of repayment assistance programs for student loans? For example, here in Canada, if we are not making enough money, the government pays the monthly interest (and the enormous debt just sits there... waiting). Tongue
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:53:35 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »

Why don't you go teach English in Asia for a couple of years? My wife and I did it, and I'd highly recommend it. We didn't take care of a ton of our debt by doing so, but other people I know paid off all of their student debts in a couple of years. Also, doesn't America offer any kind of repayment assistance programs for student loans? For example, here in Canada, if we are not making enough money, the government pays the monthly interest (and the enormous debt just sits there... waiting). Tongue

Most of the world doesn't understand how expensive the resorts called University or College cost in this country and why they are so expensive.

Pretty much healthcare and higher education have dramatically outpaced the cost of practically anything since the 70s.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:01:14 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

Have you not considered that you have a binding contract with the credit provider? Legally speaking, a promise to perform your part of the agreement.
Yeah which is why they can take you to court if you default. However I'd ask you look at bankruptcy laws in America both at federal and state level.

And in fact you can actually win against lawsuits from creditors. I can get you in contact with someone who has helped hundreds of people.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:15:02 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 09:12:43 PM »

The assistance programs can be hit or miss. I forgot the word, IPS IIRC, is based on your income and they make the payments based off 10-15% of that. The problem is you accrue alot of interest near the end of your payments. It's only good in the short term. Consolidation is the way to go with student loans.

And I'm not particular fond of leaving this country, eventhough I've heard a few good things from people who have done exactly what you described.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

Yeah which is why they can take you to court if you default. However I'd ask you look at bankruptcy laws in America both at federal and state level.

And in fact you can actually win against lawsuits from creditors. I can get you in contact with someone who has helped hundreds of people.

The reason I raise the contractual aspect is that I consider that a contract is an exchange of promises -- accordingly, it would not be ethical to promise to do one thing and then to do another, wouldn't you agree?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »

Achronos is confusing legality with morality.

What you're proposing may be legal but it's certainly immoral for the very reasons Tallitot is pronouncing.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »

Oh, wait.....
Stealing what?

The reason I raise the contractual aspect is that I consider that a contract is an exchange of promises -- accordingly, it would not be ethical to promise to do one thing and then to do another, wouldn't you agree?
I'll have to go through my agreement but I don't believe I am contracually liable for payment.

It would be unethical to make a promise to something that I may not be able to keep. Wink

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »

What you're proposing may be legal but it's certainly immoral for the very reasons Tallitot is pronouncing.
It ain't about right or wrong, it's about money.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »

Mos def.

From one of the best scenes . . . Oh that I could paraphrase it here.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:05:44 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 11:04:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 11:05:24 PM »

In other words, Talliot is right  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »

Mos def.

From one of the best scenes . . . Oh that I could paraphrase it here.
Hey Mr. McNugget.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »

Most of the world doesn't understand how expensive the resorts called University or College cost in this country and why they are so expensive.

Pretty much healthcare and higher education have dramatically outpaced the cost of practically anything since the 70s.

This is why I refuse to pay a cent for college.

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »

There are many ways to pay for college, not all involving sketchy ethics.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2012, 12:04:54 AM »

Most of those ways are called debt.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2012, 12:07:55 AM »

Yeah except not a single way I was referring to involves debt.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:03 AM »

Start naming them, and I'll check them off the list.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »

When I said I was finished with exotic dancing I meant it. Never again!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »

Oh baby.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »

And all of Pennsylvania wept at the loss!

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2012, 12:44:29 AM »

Having a friend spill soda all over a Wal-Mart aisle, and then slipping on it and suing?

choy
Archon

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:37 AM »

Don't parents save up?  I know the costs are high, but of course you save up for it.  My parents saved up for mine and my sisters' education.  One of is is an MD, and me and my eldest sister even went to one of the most expensive (but of course top 3) universities in the Philippines.  We're not rich, but my parents planned on it.

Also not to mention, we went to private schools throughout (public schools have very low standards in the Philippines, they are underfunded in so many ways).
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »

here's how I did it:I got a job saved some money and continued working while in school. my amount of student debt on graduation was $0.00.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:34 AM »

Move to Scotland and study there, it's freeeeeeee.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:31 AM »

But only for citizens, right?
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »

IIRC, no. Don't hold it to me, though.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:52:29 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »

Move to Georgia. The HOPE Scholarship is still available. For now, at least. Of course, you won't be able to find a job.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »

Move to Georgia. The HOPE Scholarship is still available. For now, at least. Of course, you won't be able to find a job.

Why would he move to the Caucasus when he can go to Scotland?

Oh wait, I know, Georgia is majority Orthodox.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:38:27 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

Why would he move to the Caucasus when he can go to Scotland?

Oh wait, I know, Georgia is majority Orthodox.
Depends which Georgia.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »

He certainly is confusing the two, and it's so disappointing coming from a newly illuminated Orthodox.
His scheme most surely is immoral stemming from a fundamental lack of ethics. AND by planning ahead to not repay he crosses the line of legality - obtaining funds under false pretenses, a felony in many states, a crime of some sort in all.
Unless he already has in hand CCs with sufficient lines of credit he will lie (illegal) on his applications (current income, employment, and/or household income). He will intend to break his contract. If he has sufficient lines of credit already he STILL is planning an illegal action.
I cannot believe I read here other Orthodox encouraging this scheme.

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »

Start naming them, and I'll check them off the list.

I've listed some. Here's mo:

-Get Mitt Romney to pay for your college
-Get a degree in something specific enough that a prospective employer will pay for you (my cousin has gotten a degree this way)
-Go to a university that pays for the tuition you can't afford based on your income
-Slip in WalMart and sue
-Go to the EU
-Sell lemonade
-Have a parent working at the college (like me)

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 04:41:22 PM »

IIRC, no. Don't hold it to me, though.
I'll have to check it out.  Been looking for a reason to move to Scotland.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »

I think that most people get in debt with student loans because they waste their money on pointless Liberal Arts Degrees thinking that any degree will help them make money, or they are spoiled and fooled by the media wanting to attend the greatest Universities when in reality a cheaper college is also just as perfectly capable of giving you the degree you want as a University is. Or, my favorite, they go into college with no idea on what they want to pursue and get themselves indebt because they believed in all that crap that education is more important than the degree or profession itself.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »

I think that most people get in debt with student loans because they waste their money on pointless Liberal Arts Degrees thinking that any degree will help them make money, or they are spoiled and fooled by the media wanting to attend the greatest Universities when in reality a cheaper college is also just as perfectly capable of giving you the degree you want as a University is. Or, my favorite, they go into college with no idea on what they want to pursue and get themselves indebt because they believed in all that crap that education is more important than the degree or profession itself.
Right, so what about the 1% of people this doesn't apply.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 10:47:28 PM »

Universities are about making money.  Education is a secondary concern.  Switch colleges and you will see what I mean.  Not to mention all the pointless courses required completely unrelated to the major.  Then we have to cost.  Community or Vocational colleges is the way to go, depending on what you want to do.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2012, 10:51:01 PM »

Money before education. See the problem?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »

The real question is, what colleges are you actually looking at and have you went to their financial aid offices?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:40:51 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2012, 11:45:22 PM »

I've found college aid people to be rather like military recruiters... they'll tell you what you want to hear if it will get you to sign with them.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2012, 12:14:38 AM »

Still thinking about moving back to Pennsylvania?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »

Please, no.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2012, 12:26:26 AM »

Saw this article?

Student-loan debt is a good investment
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/student-loan-debt-is-a-good-investment-2012-10-15

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2012, 12:26:52 AM »

Please, no.
What's your address? We can be neighbors. Grin

Maybe you can come over and watch PBS sometime.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »

Please, no.
What's your address? We can be neighbors. Grin

Maybe you can come over and watch PBS sometime.

I already have yours but will decline the offer now. I think all the Section 8 housing around here is filled up. Thanks anyway.

Fotina02

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »

Study free online.

Scott Young - Can you get an MIT education for $2,000?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=piSLobJfZ3c

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2012, 05:50:02 PM »

- You could join an eeeeevil trade union.  Then you will not only pee off 1%'ers but also learn a trade.
- Join the navy and see the seven seas.  If they don't learn you a trade they will pay for someone else to learn you it.  Or you could just make it a career.
- Reopen the slave trade.  I say we start with debt bondage since it is already pretty much legal and won't attract as much media attention.  Then we can move it up a notch and start abducting yuppies from the suburbs and holding meat markets in Chinatown.
- Work a crappy job but go to a community school and learn a real trade like welding.  You do have to be smarter than the system.
- Brigandage.  If I get fired that's what I'm going to do.  I might even save up enough money to start my own drug cartel.
- Merchant Marine.  My brother knows some guys who did pretty well in that trade.  It's kinda like #2 but without all the homosexual implications.
choy
Archon

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »

- You could join an eeeeevil trade union.  Then you will not only pee off 1%'ers but also learn a trade.
- Join the navy and see the seven seas.  If they don't learn you a trade they will pay for someone else to learn you it.  Or you could just make it a career.
- Reopen the slave trade.  I say we start with debt bondage since it is already pretty much legal and won't attract as much media attention.  Then we can move it up a notch and start abducting yuppies from the suburbs and holding meat markets in Chinatown.
- Work a crappy job but go to a community school and learn a real trade like welding.  You do have to be smarter than the system.
- Brigandage.  If I get fired that's what I'm going to do.  I might even save up enough money to start my own drug cartel.
- Merchant Marine.  My brother knows some guys who did pretty well in that trade.  It's kinda like #2 but without all the homosexual implications.

My cousins here in Canada went to a community college for the basic courses, then transfered to a university to get the major courses.  Saved a lot of money than taking the basic courses in the University.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »

If you start up that drug cartel, let me know; I've been looking for work.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »

You'll have to do your time in the brigandage outfit first.   Cheesy
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2012, 11:40:50 PM »

As long as the pay's decent...

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2012, 03:36:56 PM »

You work on commission. 
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »

You work on commission. 

That sounds fine to me

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: