OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:38:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “Nones” on the Rise: One-in-Five Adults Have No Religious Affiliation  (Read 518 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »

From a new Pew Poll:

The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling.

In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%).

This large and growing group of Americans is less religious than the public at large on many conventional measures, including frequency of attendance at religious services and the degree of importance they attach to religion in their lives.
However, a new survey by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life, conducted jointly with the PBS television program Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly, finds that many of the country’s 46 million unaffiliated adults are religious or spiritual in some way.
In addition, most religiously unaffiliated Americans think that churches and other religious institutions benefit society by strengthening community bonds and aiding the poor.

With few exceptions, though, the unaffiliated say they are not looking for a religion that would be right for them. Overwhelmingly, they think that religious organizations are too concerned with money and power, too focused on rules and too involved in politics.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »

I wonder if the actual numbers are increasing, or if people are just being more honest (perhaps with themselves).
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »

I wonder if the actual numbers are increasing, or if people are just being more honest (perhaps with themselves).
I think as America becomes more secular (e.g., less dominated by Protestantism), people have less reason to join a religious institution for, say, social reasons. If I remember correctly, the largest increase was not among atheists/agnostics, but among those unaffiliated with any religion.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:57:06 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:02:39 AM »

In other words, we are seeing an increase in the Protestant 'non-denominational' only-goes-to-church-when-I-feel-like-it lazy trend?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:31:50 AM »

The number of Orthodox (and 'nones') increases in Ireland:

The proportion of the population that is Catholic is at its lowest since 1961, while that with no religion has increased by 400% in the past 20 years.

The latest Census 2011 data released by the CSO shows that 84% of the population now identify themselves as Catholic.

The numbers began falling in the 1960s and 1970s, accelerating in the 1980s. The data shows the numbers of Catholics have fallen in every diocese in the past five years.
The census found that significant increases in the non-Catholic population in the past 20 years were influenced by increases in the religions of immigrants from Eastern Europe, Africa, and Asia.

The data also shows:

* Members of the Church of Ireland increased by 6.4% to 129,039;

* The Muslim population increased sharply in the past five years to 49,204;

* The number of Orthodox Christians has increased more than five- fold since 2006 to 45,223;
While the majority (98.5%) simply ticked the
category "Orthodox" on the census form, a small
proportion further defined their religion. Three
classifications were returned, namely Greek
Orthodox (0.17%), Russian Orthodox (0.39%) and
Coptic Orthodox (0.02%).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:36:26 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I think as America becomes more secular (e.g., less dominated by Protestantism), people have less reason to join a religious institution for, say, social reasons. If I remember correctly, the largest increase was not among atheists/agnostics, but among those unaffiliated with any religion.

This would imply we were always religious, but in the early post-Colonial era only 1 in 7 Americans regularly attended religious services regularly.  This is the problem with America, romanticizing the past to fit into our irredentist dreams of an America which very well never existed. 

How many folks attend services today? 1 in 6..  Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This would imply we were always religious, but in the early post-Colonial era only 1 in 7 Americans regularly attended religious services regularly.  This is the problem with America, romanticizing the past to fit into our irredentist dreams of an America which very well never existed. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Yeah, but how many of the early post-Colonial European-Americans would identify as not belonging to any religious denomination/institution, not even culturally?

Besides, I'm romanticizing the 1950s, not the 1790s. Cool

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

The past is never what is used to be.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »

[quote nostics,

Yeah, but how many of the early post-Colonial European-Americans would identify as not belonging to any religious denomination/institution, not even culturally?

Besides, I'm romanticizing the 1950s, not the 1790s. Cool

The revisionists of the 1950s are in part who glorified and romanticized the Colonial and early post-Colonial era.  My premise is that through out American history, a sizable portion of Americans have been lax in their religious concerns.  We have an ideal of religious affiliation, but has largely remained distant in actual practice amongst Americans.  I would say that the difference between then and today is that previously American culture pushed folks to at least superficially affirm some kind of religion, whereas today folks feel freer to express their natural skepticism, even cynicism. I'm not sure any more or less Americans are skeptical to religion or religious institutions. If relatively the same proportions of Americans regularly attend religious services as did 200 years ago, has anything really changed then? Perhaps what we express openly, but internally are we really all that different?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »

Please consider this includes all religious affiliation.  Hindu, pagan, Christian, Muslim, etc.

Atheism is going to be a large problem, as it encourages the following of one's own will an desires.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Many of them only went "into town" two or three times a year as well.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »

Please consider this includes all religious affiliation.  Hindu, pagan, Christian, Muslim, etc.

Atheism is going to be a large problem, as it encourages the following of one's own will an desires.

Atheism is now the worlds largest religion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 01:37:37 AM »

This is your 7000th post? Son I am disappoint.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 07:14:08 AM »

I haven't had time to think this through, but when I read your comment, it immediately occurred to me that in some ways the reverse is also true: the following of one's own will and desires encourages atheism. And that may be the unintended end of some aspects of the "let's all feel good" mentality of some Protestants, especially Evangelicals. If there is any truth to that thought, then that might be part of the explanation for the growth of atheism and decline of the Protestant majority at least in North America and similar societies elsewhere.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 05:24:57 PM »

In the U.S., today is President's Day. At least three presidents may have been "Nones".

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: