OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:36:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WR Cult of Saints  (Read 1053 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: October 16, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »

How does the WRO commemorate Saints? Also, do you revere Eastern Saints? We have troparions, akathists, molebens, Synaxariums etc. but I'm not familiar with WR practice on this.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49:13 AM »

We are Orthodox, so we venerate all the same saints as the EO.

As to how, I've never been to an Eastern Rite liturgy so......

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »

From my experience at Western Rite parishes:

How does the WRO commemorate Saints?

You mean in practice of icons? The same way as Eastern. Also troparions, etc, etc.

Also, do you revere Eastern Saints?

Of course.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:02:18 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »

You mean in practice of icons? The same way as Eastern. Also troparions, etc, etc.

Troparions at WR liturgy? Huh

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »

Troparions at WR liturgy? Huh

I know Troparions are Byzantine, but I have heard it in atleast one WR church.

I heard Latin chanting in one as well.

The other one I went to had a Latin-style chant, but in English.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:24:42 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »

Language is IMO a non-issue but hellenization of WRO seems rather weird. I hope they develop more Western expressions.

Btw, I find it fascinating that one can be Orthodox without ever attending an EO liturgy. That's how it should work. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:37:29 PM by Alpo » Logged

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

Language is IMO a non-issue but hellenization of WRO seems rather weird.

I think it depends on which jurisdiction you attend. It is a work-in-progress.

I hope they develop more Western expressions.

SLOWLY, they are, but I really hope they spread faster (being controlled of course, too fast could be bad).

Btw, I find it fascinating that one can be Orthodox without ever attending an EO liturgy. That's how it should work. Smiley

Absolutely. Smiley

Forgive my sins.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »

There are plenty of Western liturgical texts for the saints. I'm not familiary with the Mass itself, but the Breviary, the Western Horologion, contains texts for all the feasts to be used in the canonical hours. There are collects (which correspond roughly to the apolytikia or dismissal hymns), hymns, sometimes antiphons as well, especially before the Magnificat and Benedicite. There are also litanies (which roughly correspond to akathists, being inspired thereby), commemorations (a verse, response, and collect), and many other miscellaneous special prayers for various occasions of public and private prayer. Also, there are often special readings from Scripture and the Lives of the saints at nearly all the hours, the exception being Compline which, unless you're lookig at an older pre-Tridentine form, does not appear to vary much throughout the year with the exception of Maundy Thursday-Holy Saturday. I believe there are special prayers for the saints during the Mass as well, but I'd have to dig out the Missal.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »

Language is IMO a non-issue but hellenization of WRO seems rather weird. I hope they develop more Western expressions.

My priest says Im Orthodox, as does Metropolitan Phillip, who was kind enough to sign my Chrismation certificate so... Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 12:13:12 AM »

Thanks, Shanghaiski. Smiley

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »

My priest says Im Orthodox, as does Metropolitan Phillip, who was kind enough to sign my Chrismation certificate so... Smiley

PP

As does everyone on this thread. Wink

Forgive my sins.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »

PP

Actually, the Orthodox that are at the Greek Church across town (Holy Trinity, and St. George's are it in town) swear up and down that we're not really Orthodox and roll their collective eyes when we talk about the faith......its pretty annoying.

PP

Gregory the Great

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 12:24:53 PM »

Actually, the Orthodox that are at the Greek Church across town (Holy Trinity, and St. George's are it in town) swear up and down that we're not really Orthodox and roll their collective eyes when we talk about the faith......its pretty annoying.

You could paint a huge icon of St. Augustine and give it to them. I'm sure they'd appreciate that. angel

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »

You could paint a huge icon of St. Augustine and give it to them. I'm sure they'd appreciate that. angel
THAT is a fantastic idea.......ah, I now remember the reason I hang around this place  laugh

PP

Gregory the Great

JorgenThorbjørnsen

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »

PP

PP

It is because you are all heretical blasphemous demi-Latins. Grin

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 08:16:15 AM »

PP

PP

It is because you are all heretical blasphemous demi-Latins. Grin
LOL I've herd the phrase Augustianians battered around before.

PP

Gregory the Great

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »

In the WR saints are venerated through being "commemorated" at Liturgy or in the divine office. "Commemorated" means that at the Liturgy the collect, secret, and postcommunion of the Saint are added after the other collects, secrets, and postcommunion prayers; and that, at the divine office (only at Vespers and at Matins) the antiphon of the Saint is sung, followed by the versicle and response, "Let us pray," and the collect of the Saint. This is in the ordinary order of services; there are devotional services, such as votive Liturgies and the doing of a "little office" of the Saint (modeled on Vespers and Matins); doing a "missa sicca" (excerpts from the Liturgy for the Saint, similar to an Obednitsa or Typika service in ER).

We venerate Eastern Saints and many of them are on the WR calendar.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: