OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:43:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: requirements for bread and wine  (Read 2642 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: October 16, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »

What is the requirement to make bread and wine for Divine Liturgy?  Does the Orthodox Church have the same standards are the Roman Catholics?  Aside from the obvious difference of leaven.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:26:10 AM »

Bread: wheat, with flour, yeast, salt and water only
Wine: red, grape, sweet and alcoholic, withous some extra additions

That's how was I taught.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:26:59 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 01:36:40 AM »

That's how was I taught.

So like the Catholics, no nitrates or preservatives in the wine?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:00:13 AM »

AFAIR you can use white wine (and dry or semi-dry too).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:47:11 AM »

It would be an act of extreme economia to allow this, to put it mildly.
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »

The problem is that most wines (apart from the sweetest) become very acid once the hot water is added.

In XC,

Deacon Philip
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »

I meant the Catholics (like choy).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »

That's how was I taught.

So like the Catholics, no nitrates or preservatives in the wine?

Right. I was at a parish once, and we had to change wines because we found out the one we were using was artificially sweetened with corn syrup.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »

Would the use of kosher wines like Manischewitz (sp?) be permitted?
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »

The wine I mentioned above was a Jewish kosher wine. It was fine, except for being artificially sweetened.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »

We use Jewish wine too.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »

I meant the Catholics (like choy).

I'm not Catholic, I'm Papist Orthodox  Grin laugh
choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »

Forgive me that I have forgotten that the Latins do use white wine.  Although sadly such practice has spread to Eastern Catholic Churches.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »

The wine I mentioned above was a Jewish kosher wine. It was fine, except for being artificially sweetened.

It was probably just fortified. Is that kosher? Cause that is what Mani is.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:41:00 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »

Fortified means distilled grape spirits have been added to boost the alcohol content.  Manischewitz does add corn syrup which makes it non-kosher for some Orthodox Jewish groups as well as unsuitable for both Orthodox and Catholics.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »

And a slippery slope to Stalin icons.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

Forgive me that I have forgotten that the Latins do use white wine.  Although sadly such practice has spread to Eastern Catholic Churches.

I thought that white wine was not allowed by Catholic tradition. I thought it was Anglicans and Lutherans who instituted this to support their odd notions.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
choy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »

I thought that white wine was not allowed by Catholic tradition. I thought it was Anglicans and Lutherans who instituted this to support their odd notions.

It is.  De Defectibus only mentions what is in the wine, but not which color of wine.  So white wine that fits the "requirements" will pass and in fact is more commonly used today because it just doesn't stain as bad as red wine.
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »

Yes. My priest uses that brand of wine.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »

It is.  De Defectibus only mentions what is in the wine, but not which color of wine.  So white wine that fits the "requirements" will pass and in fact is more commonly used today because it just doesn't stain as bad as red wine.

How old is that document, and what was the prevailing tradition before it? Not that that really matters for Roman Catholicism, sadly.

choy
Archon

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »

How old is that document, and what was the prevailing tradition before it? Not that that really matters for Roman Catholicism, sadly.

It was a Papal Bull by Pope Pius V that came out of the Council of Trent.  It described the defects of the matter when bread or wine could not become or be used for the Sacrament.  There is no mention on color of wine.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »

It is interesting to note that in the Greek Ieratikon the wine is called "nama" of which there is actually a wine called Nama from Santorini:  http://www.canavaroussos.gr/uk/oinopoiia.html

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »

I've heard of bishops in prison in Soviet times using water. I wouldn't have given any credit to it except that it was my parish priest who told me about it during a catechism class. Are there any absolute requirements of matter that no economia can dispense?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »

I've heard of bishops in prison in Soviet times using water. I wouldn't have given any credit to it except that it was my parish priest who told me about it during a catechism class. Are there any absolute requirements of matter that no economia can dispense?

That would depend on what is classified as economia. When the definition is too broad, it falls apart and doesn't do it's purpose but instead counteracts its purpose.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »

Fortified means distilled grape spirits have been added to boost the alcohol content.  Manischewitz does add corn syrup which makes it non-kosher for some Orthodox Jewish groups as well as unsuitable for both Orthodox and Catholics.

Better start writing the Bishops.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
choy
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 05:55:17 PM »

Maybe they pray for the water to turn into wine?  But in any case I have faith that God will supply the grace to them no matter what.
age234
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 06:25:02 PM »

Depends on the circumstances. In a Soviet prison camp, perhaps. In a land where there are supermarket aisles full of $5 bottles of wine, no.
age234
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »

One would think stains would be the least concern when dealing with the Lord's blood... Wouldn't anything that gets spilled on be burned anyway?
choy
Archon

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »

One would think stains would be the least concern when dealing with the Lord's blood... Wouldn't anything that gets spilled on be burned anyway?

The stains can happen prior to consecration.  Remember in the Latin Mass, normally only the priest receives from the chalice.  The danger of spilling from consecration to the end of the Mass is minimal.  Most of the spilling would occur when the priest is preparing the chalice and putting the wine in.

At least that is what I heard from some people, that they prefer white wine because it is easier to wash the purificators.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »

The stains can happen prior to consecration.  Remember in the Latin Mass, normally only the priest receives from the chalice.  The danger of spilling from consecration to the end of the Mass is minimal.  Most of the spilling would occur when the priest is preparing the chalice and putting the wine in.

At least that is what I heard from some people, that they prefer white wine because it is easier to wash the purificators.

This is wear communing under one species gets us--using white wine because of the fuss of stains.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 08:10:05 PM »

Better start writing the Bishops.

Should we not use the purest and best we have?

age234
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »

I've been an altar server, so I can empathize with the kinds of issues you're talking about. I just have a hard time believing spillage is such a major problem that white wine needs to be used. "Be a little more careful" sounds best to me...

The Russians give communicants unconsecrated wine+water mix to drink after communion, and people manage not to spill it. I don't know...it's just fuzzy logic IMO.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:19:06 PM by age234 » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »

I don't think that much white is used to be honest.  I know I've never come across it since I was ordained and I don't remember it being used as an altar boy.

choy
Archon

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »

I don't think that much white is used to be honest.  I know I've never come across it since I was ordained and I don't remember it being used as an altar boy.

Its used here where I am at.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 12:51:08 AM »

As for spilling it, that really doesn't happen that much. Our chalices usually have a wide base to them so they aren't easy to knock over. If you talk about spilling off the spoon, that is what the red cloth is for, the red isn't just for prettyness, it helps hide stains. Usually the Priests clean up as best as they can. The clothes are reused and sometimes washed (they don't have the body on them).

You try to clean up the best you can but sometimes you can't get everything.

I've never ever seen white wine used and I seriously doubt it would fly.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 10:20:09 AM »

It is interesting to note that in the Greek Ieratikon the wine is called "nama" of which there is actually a wine called Nama from Santorini:  http://www.canavaroussos.gr/uk/oinopoiia.html

Nama is a style of wine - like Port or Riesling. Nama is created in the same manner as Commandaria, with a drying of the grapes to increase sugar content before pressing. Alcohol in wine is produced by conversion of sugar. A higher sugar content means more alcohol, unless the process is stopped at a certain point, that allows for sweetness.

This natural fortification and sweetness is why Nama and Commandaria are used for communion. Port has natural sweetness but the fortification is gained by turning some of the wine into brandy and then adding back into the wine.

The high alcohol content is needed so the wine will not go bad quickly, alcohol acts as a preservative.

Once last note, Nama tends to be the preference because of the ruby color and pure grape taste. There is something special about the Santorini, volcanic soil that makes the Nama from there shine in taste and color.

Joseph
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »

I remember hearing a story (how true this is I don't know) that on Stalin's birthday, the prisoners would be given raisin buns, from which the priest would remove the raisins and put that in warm water to make wine and use the bun for the Lamb.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »

I knew a Maronite Catholic priest that used White Zinfandel for his chalice wine.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »

When I was a Latin Rite Franciscan, we would mostly use a dry wine and sometimes it was white.  I was told by my upper classmates that one priest even, once, used champagne!

choy
Archon

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »

I remember hearing a story (how true this is I don't know) that on Stalin's birthday, the prisoners would be given raisin buns, from which the priest would remove the raisins and put that in warm water to make wine and use the bun for the Lamb.

Interesting story.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »

do eastern orthodox put salt in the bread?
we have a strict 'no salt' rule, so the antidoran always seems to taste sweet (to me anyway).

as for wine, it is the same (except i can't imagine we would ever use white!) and i have communed with commandaria.
(accidently found some non consecrated communion wine in my car once!)

many british catholics (and some irish) commune with the Body and Blood both (as it should be).
it seems to be that the Body only communing comes from central or eastern europe.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »

do eastern orthodox put salt in the bread?
we have a strict 'no salt' rule, so the antidoran always seems to taste sweet (to me anyway).

as for wine, it is the same (except i can't imagine we would ever use white!) and i have communed with commandaria.
(accidently found some non consecrated communion wine in my car once!)

many british catholics (and some irish) commune with the Body and Blood both (as it should be).
it seems to be that the Body only communing comes from central or eastern europe.

in the serbian church we put salt.  lots of it in fact. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »

I've read somewhere that in Alaska grape juice is used in some places because of the alcoholism there.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »

I've read somewhere that in Alaska grape juice is used in some places because of the alcoholism there.

Again, from my Catholic experience.  A Catholic priest said that as soon as air hits grape juice it begins to ferment.  So, according to him, it could be considered "immature" wine.  Go figure.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »

thanks, father serb1389.
i will make a note to not looked shocked if i take serbian Holy Communion.
do all the EO use salt? i had greek antidoran once and it did taste different, maybe this is why.
for us salt represents the sin, i can't remember exactly why.

i suppose Christians in countries / areas where alcohol is banned also use alcohol free wine.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: