OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 08:46:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Publican's Prayerbook, giving the Jordanville Prayerbook a run for its money...  (Read 1705 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 15, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »

"the Publicans Prayer Book packs in a complete Menologion, with Troparia for every day of the year, including the common Troparia for saints not having their own Troparion"
http://byzantineramblings.blogspot.com/2009/05/of-prayer-books-ii.html

This can be bought here:
https://melkite.org/products-page/prayer-books

It looks outstanding and I've ordered another prayerbook from All Saints in Canada (Too awhile to justify the 50 dollar cost), but if anyone is interested in a prayerbook this looks better than the Jordanville.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Samn!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »

It should be noted that, as a Melkite Catholic prayerbook, it lacks prayers for St Gregory Palamas on the second Sunday of Lent, replacing them with a commemoration of the Holy Relics, and it includes prayers for the feat of Corpus Christi....
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »

It should be noted that, as a Melkite Catholic prayerbook, it lacks prayers for St Gregory Palamas on the second Sunday of Lent, replacing them with a commemoration of the Holy Relics, and it includes prayers for the feat of Corpus Christi....
Is that enough to not purchase it?

I thought the new version of the Jordanville doesn't have the complete Menologion.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »

Well, depends on how much you care about certain feasts that the Melkite Catholics don't/didn't celebrate-- St Gregory Palamas, the Life-Giving Spring, etc and how much you'd be annoyed by Corpus Christi and the occasional prayer for the Pope...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »

Are you sure this prayer book has that?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:44:25 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »

I use this for everyday use.

There is only one prayer for the Pope in it during the commemoration of the heirarchs at Morning Prayer which one can easily pass over.

I use the Menologion in concert with my OCA calendar as well as looking ahead in the week on other Orthodox calendars to see who/what feast is coming up.  With a year's worth of use and some notes in the margins and a quick cut and paste job, this prayerbook can be as Orthodox as you want it.  The language is, for the most part, music to these 21st century Anglophone ears.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:42:18 PM »

Are you are this prayer book has that?

Huh

Sorry...

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »

I use this for everyday use.

There is only one prayer for the Pope in it during the commemoration of the heirarchs at Morning Prayer which one can easily pass over.

I use the Menologion in concert with my OCA calendar as well as looking ahead in the week on other Orthodox calendars to see who/what feast is coming up.  With a year's worth of use and some notes in the margins and a quick cut and paste job, this prayerbook can be as Orthodox as you want it.  The language is, for the most part, music to these 21st century Anglophone ears.
And that's what initially caught my attention. It looks really nice too.

Are you are this prayer book has that?

Huh

Sorry...
lol fixed.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:46:25 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »

as a Melkite Catholic prayerbook, it lacks prayers for St Gregory Palamas on the second Sunday of Lent, replacing them with a commemoration of the Holy Relics

Dont Melkite venerate St. Gregory? AFAIK, the UGCC does.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:21 PM »

A clarification:

A list of troparia and kontakia for each day of the year is not a complete Menologion. A complete Menologion runs into twelve large volumes, and, depending on local tradition, up to three supplementary volumes. These contain the full hymnography for the fixed commemorations of each day of the year, of which the daily troparia and kontakia are a tiny proportion.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »

A clarification:

A list of troparia and kontakia for each day of the year is not a complete Menologion. A complete Menologion runs into twelve large volumes, and, depending on local tradition, up to three supplementary volumes. These contain the full hymnography for the fixed commemorations of each day of the year, of which the daily troparia and kontakia are a tiny proportion.

I thought Menologion and Menaion were different things, the former being just the troparia and kontakia and such.
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 10:17:08 PM »

Regarding Melkite Catholics and St Gregory Palamas---

In 1843, their patriarch Maximus III Mazloom replaced the earlier practice of singing a version of the troparion for St Gregory of Nyssa ("The Shepherd's flute of your theology drowned out the trumpets of the rhetoricians") in honor of St Gregory Palamas on the second Sunday of Lent with a commemoration "Of the Holy Relics" of his own composition.

In recent decades, they have returned to commemorating St Gregory Palamas, though I'm not sure how systematically or officially. I'd greatly appreciate references to any official statements about this.

As for their removal of the commemoration of the Life-Giving Spring on the Friday after Easter, I translated the order replacing it with a new feast of the Visit of the Theotokos to St Elizabeth by Maximos Mazloom in 1844 here-----> http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2011/04/melkite-greek-catholics-and-life-giving.html
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »

In recent decades, they have returned to commemorating St Gregory Palamas, though I'm not sure how systematically or officially. I'd greatly appreciate references to any official statements about this.

The Melkite Synod returned him to the calendar in 1971.  The Oriental Congregation included him in the Greek Anthologion published at Rome in 1974.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »

Deacon Lance, do you use this prayer book?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 10:55:48 PM »

Cheers, Dn Lance!
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »

Deacon Lance, do you use this prayer book?

No, right now I usually use Byzantine Book of Prayer which is an abbreviated Byzantine Daily Worship adapted to Ruthenian usages.  This book looks very well done though so I might have to give it a try.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: