OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 10:06:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Finding an Orthodox Bible Commentary?  (Read 3685 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: October 14, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »

I was looking for some guidance. Since I don't seem to be going anywhere from reading the Scriptures myself, I thought that I would turn to patristic guidance for help. That being said, I am looking for a good, full commentary by the Fathers that I could read. I am familiar with St. John Chrysostom, but I don't know if there are any other fathers who would be better to read. Also, should I buy two commentaries? One for the Old Testament and one for the New? I was thinking of reading Origen of Alexandria for the Old Testament, but I am not sure where to find his works. Help? I have a budget of about $120.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »

You'd need more than $120 to get a complete commentary on the Bible. Patristic stuff will generally be book by book, not testament by testament. For the 4 Gospels, I would really recommend vol 1. of The Orthodox New Testament, which has a lot of excellent commentary from a wide variety of patristic works. The commentary for volume 2, Acts and the Epistles, is not quite as good.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:17:11 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »

Amazon.com, ECSC and other online sites will carry commentaries. There is a list of patristic commentaries in this thread.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:52:35 PM »

the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture is excellent. You may consider determining which books you most want commentaries on and get those commentaries.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »

Ive heard good things about this one, but I dont own it. 

http://www.chrysostompress.org/catalog_explanation.html

Im interested in this topic as well.  Id love to have some good commentaries as well, but I hate how expensive the books are.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »

I suggest St. Ambrose's Exposition of the Gospel of Luke.

the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture is excellent. You may consider determining which books you most want commentaries on and get those commentaries.

It's so expansive, even the cd version is 320 dollar Sad
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:52:42 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

I was looking for some guidance. Since I don't seem to be going anywhere from reading the Scriptures myself, I thought that I would turn to patristic guidance for help. That being said, I am looking for a good, full commentary by the Fathers that I could read. I am familiar with St. John Chrysostom, but I don't know if there are any other fathers who would be better to read. Also, should I buy two commentaries? One for the Old Testament and one for the New? I was thinking of reading Origen of Alexandria for the Old Testament, but I am not sure where to find his works. Help? I have a budget of about $120.

Don't do Origen, he's a heretic. If you have an e-reader why not download some of the NPNF-series as well?

-Samuel Coleridge
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »

Don't do Origen, he's a heretic.

Much of his scriptural commentary is excellent, though.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

Don't do Origen, he's a heretic.

Much of his scriptural commentary is excellent, though.

And rather fragmentary.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:46:37 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 02:43:08 PM »

Don't do Origen, he's a heretic. If you have an e-reader why not download some of the NPNF-series as well?

I have an e-reader.  What is NPNF?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »

The Nicene and Post Nicene Fathers series. It's available free from www.ccel.org
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »

Together with the ANF, 38 (or 37?) volumes of 19th century translations of some of the major works of the church fathers. Free, in pdf format. It's almost the only thing I have on my e-reader. Link.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:10:51 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:19 PM »

He is, but his heresies are pretty well contained in only certain of his writings, rather like Tertullian.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »

You can see the most used commentaries, 5 or 6 for free at this bible site.

When you look up any verse the commentaries for the verse are at the bottom opf the page.
Or you can use just the commentaries tab.

http://biblecc.com/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:47:17 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 06:10:49 AM »

Try the Orthodox Study Bible.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: