OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:11:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amnesty?  (Read 652 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: October 15, 2012, 09:15:02 AM »

Just a small thought which probably doesn't technically merit a new thread, but ...

Might the best way to resolve the "uniatism" issue be with a kind of amnesty? Not an amnesty of persons obviously (since the persons involved in the Union of Brest, the Union of Uzhhorod, etc., all died long ago) but an amnesty of churches if you will. In other words, we Catholics (Latin as well as Eastern) agree not to engage in any more uniatism, and you Orthodox agree not to hold-against-us the fact that many of the Eastern Catholic Churches came from Orthodoxy.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »

I thought that was what the so-called Balamand Agreement was supposed to do, sort of.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »

I thought that was what the so-called Balamand Agreement was supposed to do, sort of.

It's at least one possible take on the Balamand Agreement. So I guess the question is, is it the right one?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:58:46 AM »

It's at least one possible take on the Balamand Agreement. So I guess the question is, is it the right one?

Apparently not. (No sarcasm intended.)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »

Apparently not. (No sarcasm intended.)

I can believe you that you're not being sarcastic ... and at the same time I'm intrigued enough to ask for an elaboration.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »

If the Catholics believe their church to be the Catholic and Apostolic the only logical conclucion is to make missionary work among the Orthodox.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »

If the Catholics believe their church to be the Catholic and Apostolic the only logical conclucion is to make missionary work among the Orthodox.

The conventional answer to that is that, in the long run, it will be better if we hold off for a while from trying win converts from Orthodoxy, because that way we will be able to convince all/most Orthodox to come into communion with Rome en masse. (I'm not saying that's a good answer, just that it's the conventional answer.)

choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »

The conventional answer to that is that, in the long run, it will be better if we hold off for a while from trying win converts from Orthodoxy, because that way we will be able to convince all/most Orthodox to come into communion with Rome en masse. (I'm not saying that's a good answer, just that it's the conventional answer.)

Or Catholics can dox en masse and hopefully the Pope will join us one day Wink
choy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »

On a more serious note, there are enough Protestants and neo-Arians the Catholics and Orthodox can divide amongst themsevles for missionary work
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »

On a more serious note, there are enough Protestants and neo-Arians the Catholics and Orthodox can divide amongst themsevles for missionary work

Not to mention atheists, muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Shinto, New Age, various "Native American" religions, etc., etc., etc., etc.  And then there are all the Catholics and Orthodox who might benefit from some re-evangelizing from their own brothers and sisters  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 03:24:30 PM »

"Us"??  I thought you were Catholic.  Huh

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 04:12:38 PM »

Not to mention atheists, muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Shinto, New Age, various "Native American" religions, etc., etc., etc., etc. 

True, but they're hardly easy pickins.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »

I think you should continue to think that.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »

Not to mention atheists, muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Shinto, New Age, various "Native American" religions, etc., etc., etc., etc. 

True, but they're hardly easy pickins.

And the others are?  Whether they're "easy pickins" or not is irrelevant, don't you think?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »

I think you should continue to think that.

I'd be happy to  Wink.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: