OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:28:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please, correct my speech mistakes  (Read 841 times) Average Rating: 0
Serg-antr

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: October 14, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »

I greet the participant of the forum. I am learning the English and ask you to help me on a practice. I was reading the forum a little and know here exists which can speak Russian. I will bring both of variants of my posts – in English and in Russian that I was understand easily. Please, correct my mistakes. Please, don’t throw yours slippers on (in?) me. Smiley I will try don’t use a translator (only a dictionary), but it will be difficult for me.

Приветствую участников форума. Я изучаю английский и прошу помочь мне в практике. Я немного читал форум и знаю, что здесь есть те, кто знает русский. Я буду приводить оба варианта своих постов – по-русски и по-английски, чтоб меня было легче понять. Прошу исправлять мои ошибки. Прошу не бросать в меня тапки. Smiley Попробую обходиться без переводчика (только со словарем), хотя это будет для меня трудно.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »

I greet the participant of the forum. I am learning the English and ask you to help me on a practice. I was reading the forum a little and know here exists which can speak Russian. I will bring both of variants of my posts – in English and in Russian that I was understand easily. Please, correct my mistakes. Please, don’t throw yours slippers on (in?) me. Smiley I will try don’t use a translator (only a dictionary), but it will be difficult for me.

Приветствую участников форума. Я изучаю английский и прошу помочь мне в практике. Я немного читал форум и знаю, что здесь есть те, кто знает русский. Я буду приводить оба варианта своих постов – по-русски и по-английски, чтоб меня было легче понять. Прошу исправлять мои ошибки. Прошу не бросать в меня тапки. Smiley Попробую обходиться без переводчика (только со словарем), хотя это будет для меня трудно.

Greetings, members of this forum. I am learning English and ask you to help me practice it. I was reading the forum a little and I know there exists a subforum where I can speak Russian. I will post in both languages that I know - both in English and in Russian (which I know better). Please, correct my mistakes and don't flame me Smiley I will try not to use a translator, but only a dictionary. It will be difficult for me.

Welcome to this forum! English isn't my first language either.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:45:32 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 03:48:25 PM »

Here's where you can speak Russian: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/board,14.0.html

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Serg-antr

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »

Thanks for correcting me, Cyrillic.  I need a time to understand it.
Serg-antr

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »

OK. I could tell about myself or my country, if anyone is interested. For the time being I will tell anything.
Today on the job one my comrade his name is Misha say to me: prince Wladimir, who chose a religion for the Rus, make a mistake, he must chose Islam, not Orthodoxy. In Islamic country all decisions are made by a man, a woman are sitting quietly in paranja in the corner, or prepares food. A reason of his speech was women’s behavior. One of them are mistress of the house in which Misha was installing furniture, other – a manager of firm where Misha works. The firm has many orders; installers do not have time to install all in time, customers to telephone to manager and demand first place their order. By the end of day the nerves to the limit, the mistress today has almost hysterics. And guilty in all of course Misha, because not wont to work 24 hours and because just his face see customer’s. In the team of installers once was working the man from Usbekistan Donatar Abdulaevich. He couldn’t get accustomed that we have a woman can command by man. Once he stormy quarreled with the manager and leave the service.

Я мог бы рассказать о себе или о моей стране, если это кого-то интересует. Пока буду говорить, что приходит в голову.
Сегодня на работе один мой товарищ по имени Миша говорит мне: князь Владимир, когда выбирал религию для Руси, ошибся, ему нужно было выбрать не православие, а ислам. В исламской стране все решения принимает мужчина, женщина сидит тихонько в парандже в углу, или кушать готовит. Это он к тому, что женщины его сегодня «достали». Одна – хозяйка дома, в котором Миша устанавливает мебель, другая – менеджер фирмы, в которой Миша работает. У фирмы много заказов, установщики не успевают все установить в срок, заказчики звонят менеджеру и требуют, чтоб в первую очередь устанавливали их заказ. К концу дня нервы у всех на пределе, у хозяйки была почти истерика. А виноват во всем конечно Миша, потому что он не хочет работать круглые сутки, и потому что именно его лицо видят заказчики. В бригаде установщиков когда-то работал несколько лет узбек, Донатар Абдулаевич. Он никак не мог привыкнуть к тому, что у нас женщина может командовать мужчиной. Однажды разругался с менеджером и уволился.
adampjr
Karamazov

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »

OK. I could tell about myself or my country, if anyone is interested. For the time being I will tell anything.
Today on the job one my comrade his name is Misha say to me: prince Wladimir, who chose a religion for the Rus, make a mistake, he must chose Islam, not Orthodoxy. In Islamic country all decisions are made by a man, a woman are sitting quietly in paranja in the corner, or prepares food. A reason of his speech was women’s behavior. One of them are mistress of the house in which Misha was installing furniture, other – a manager of firm where Misha works. The firm has many orders; installers do not have time to install all in time, customers to telephone to manager and demand first place their order. By the end of day the nerves to the limit, the mistress today has almost hysterics. And guilty in all of course Misha, because not wont to work 24 hours and because just his face see customer’s. In the team of installers once was working the man from Usbekistan Donatar Abdulaevich. He couldn’t get accustomed that we have a woman can command by man. Once he stormy quarreled with the manager and leave the service.

Я мог бы рассказать о себе или о моей стране, если это кого-то интересует. Пока буду говорить, что приходит в голову.
Сегодня на работе один мой товарищ по имени Миша говорит мне: князь Владимир, когда выбирал религию для Руси, ошибся, ему нужно было выбрать не православие, а ислам. В исламской стране все решения принимает мужчина, женщина сидит тихонько в парандже в углу, или кушать готовит. Это он к тому, что женщины его сегодня «достали». Одна – хозяйка дома, в котором Миша устанавливает мебель, другая – менеджер фирмы, в которой Миша работает. У фирмы много заказов, установщики не успевают все установить в срок, заказчики звонят менеджеру и требуют, чтоб в первую очередь устанавливали их заказ. К концу дня нервы у всех на пределе, у хозяйки была почти истерика. А виноват во всем конечно Миша, потому что он не хочет работать круглые сутки, и потому что именно его лицо видят заказчики. В бригаде установщиков когда-то работал несколько лет узбек, Донатар Абдулаевич. Он никак не мог привыкнуть к тому, что у нас женщина может командовать мужчиной. Однажды разругался с менеджером и уволился.

I'll try and be as helpful as I can. I'll start by showing some changes I would make to part of your post (I am not a professional editor) and I will try to explain some of them. Perhaps by seeing changes made to your posts you will start seeing patterns. This was helpful for me as I was learning Arabic.

"Today on the job one of my comrades, whose name is Misha, said (past tense) to me: prince Wladimir, who chose a religion for the Rus, made (past tense) a mistake, he should have chosen (speaking about the past) Islam, not Orthodoxy. In Islamic countries (there are many Islamic countries, plural) all decisions are made by a man, a woman is (for 1 woman the word is "is)) sitting quietly in paranja in the corner, or preparing food."

The biggest issues here are tense and number.

I can give you no comfort because English is inconsistent in forming the past tense of verbs.

Number is easier.
1 man is. 2 men are.
1 man goes. 2 men go.
Very often, the singular verb in the present tense has an "s" at the end.
Serg-antr

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »

Thank you. Then I’ll try to correct myself.

A reason of his speech was women’s (is it right in plural?) behavior (I can’t translate женщины его сегодня достали). One of them is mistress of the house in which Misha has install (was installing?) the furniture, other – the manager of firm where Misha works. The firm has many orders; installers don’t have(?) time to install all in time, customers to telephone to manager and demands to install first place their order. By the end of day the nerves to the limit, the mistress was almost in hysteric today. And guilty in all of course is Misha because he not wont to work 24 hours and just his face see customers. In team of installers once was working the man from Usbekistan – Donatar Abdulaevich. He couldn’t get accustomed that we have a woman can command by man. Once he was stormy quarreled with the manager and left the service.

Is it possible to understand something here?  Smiley
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »

Hi Serg-antr.

While it can be understood, your translation is a bit choppy.

Let me see if I understand it correctly....

The reason for his speech was the fact that the women got to him today.  One of the women was the housewife (mistress of the house) of the home where Misha was installing some furniture; while the other woman is the manager of the firm where Misha works.  The company has many orders to fill, and the installers simply do not have enough time to fill all the orders.  Customers phone the manager requesting that their orders be installed first.  By the end of the day, everyone's nerves are at their limit, and the housewife was almost hysterical today.  The one who is guilty for causing all the stress is of course Misha, because he is not willing to work 24 hours shifts, and his face is the only one that customers actually see.  The team of installers once included a man from Uzbekistan, Donatar Abdulaevich.  He couldn't get accustomed to having a woman command a team of men.  He once quarreled with her and quit the company.

How's that?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Serg-antr

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »

Yes, all of this is correctly. Thank you, Liza. I must read it many time.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:29:29 PM by Serg-antr » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »

Glad to help! Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: