OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 07:05:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rispek to Gad!  (Read 927 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: October 14, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »

Rispek to Gad! Bible translation is a Jamaican revelation

From tomorrow a new version of the sacred texts will contain ‘Gad’ instead of God after it was translated into Jamaican patois.

A 20-year-long project has seen the New Testament rewritten in the West Indian tongue first spoken by slaves.

In it, the wise men come to give baby ‘Jiizas’ some ‘rispek’. ‘Behold’ becomes ‘Lisn op!’ and the angel Gabriel tells Mary that news of her pregnancy will make her ‘wel ’api.’...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 01:31:35 AM »

Is this real life?  Huh
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 02:17:43 AM »

The same thing has been done with the Gullah culture in the south east.   
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:48:14 AM »

It would be far from the first of its kind. The Bible has been available in the native language of Hatian Creole speakers for a while now. The complete Bible in Tok Pisin (an English creole that is an official language of Papua New Guinea and the most widely used language in that country, with 5-6 million speakers) has been available since 1989 (parts of the scriptures were first translated in the 1950s). I think it's a great thing that more and more languages and dialects are getting proper translations.

You want to talk about real life, you should wonder why people at the "Klingon Language Institute" are translating the Bible into Klingon. Surely there are better ways to convert nerds...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:08:10 AM »

Everyone knows that you can't have a proper appreciation for Shakespeare until you've read the original Klingon version, perhaps this is also true of the Bible...?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 03:21:44 AM »

I love and defend culture, but this is ridiculous. The King James Bible has always been sufficient for the Rastaman. This silly translation is an insult to Jamaicans.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 03:44:37 AM »

All Jamaican English speakers are "the Rastaman"? Way to defend culture there, Gebre... Cheesy

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 03:47:29 AM »

All Jamaican English speakers are "the Rastaman"? Way to defend culture there, Gebre... Cheesy

That's a dishonest and disrespectful misrepresentation of what I said. Please don't do that.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:20 AM »

Then maybe you should clarify what you said, because it is not clear to me how I have dishonestly represented you. You said "The King James Bible has always been sufficient for the Rastaman." What does that have to do with anything, unless you are equating Jamaican Creole English speakers with "the Rastaman", in order to call into question the translation?

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 05:25:15 AM »

I guess its slightly better than the LOLcat bible.

Thank you.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 06:00:02 AM »

Making Bible translations based on dialects is just plain silly. People should stick with written language.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 07:40:40 AM »

I heard next week the Good Ol' Boy Southern Study Bible was coming out.  At Christmas the Yankee Family Bible is getting printed. 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 07:42:29 AM »

The same thing has been done with the Gullah culture in the south east.   

I was in a book store and found a bible in Gullah.  It's a dialect translation only.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »

Making Bible translations based on dialects is just plain silly. People should stick with written language.

And if the language does not have a written form, like the majority of languages in the world...?

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 02:10:33 PM »

How many jamaicans would actually be able to read it? I mean, I speak jutish (partly) but I don't think I would be able to read a jutish Bible.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:10:53 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »

How many jamaicans would actually be able to read it? I mean, I speak jutish (partly) but I don't think I would be able to read a jutish Bible.

I believe I read it is the first language of 85%, so I imagine quite a few.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »

And if the language does not have a written form, like the majority of languages in the world...?

Of course that's different case but I thought this thread was about some Jamaican dialect of English. After checking Wikipedia I'm not entirely sure about that anymore.

I still think that this sounds silly though. police But then again I don't understand hybrid cultures. I have enough hard time understanding differences between different tribes of Finland. Tongue
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:03:15 PM by Alpo » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »

I heard next week the Good Ol' Boy Southern Study Bible was coming out.  At Christmas the Yankee Family Bible is getting printed. 
This post was a joke, in case that was not clear. Wink
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »

Of course that's different case but I thought this thread was about some Jamaican dialect of English. After checking Wikipedia I'm not entirely sure about that anymore.

I still think that this sounds silly though. police But then again I don't understand hybrid cultures. I have enough hard time understanding differences between different tribes of Finland. Tongue

Well, it's a creole (I referred to it in this thread as "Jamaican English" even though there is a separate standard called by that name, because creoles are often taken to be 'lesser' versions of their parent languages by people with superiority complexes about this stuff), hence my examples of Hatian Creole and Tok Pisin, which are likewise creoles (based in French and English, respectively). Those bibles aren't "silly". Producing a Bible that is in the majority language of a people is in no way silly. Christ Jesus did not tell us to go forth and baptize all nations unless they talk funny.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »

Everyone knows that you can't have a proper appreciation for Shakespeare until you've read the original Klingon version, perhaps this is also true of the Bible...?
"the KBTP has assumed the immense task of translating the books of the Bible, both the Old and New Testaments, into Klingon."
http://www.kli.org/wiki/index.php?Klingon%20Bible%20Translation%20Project

Silly Stars
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: