OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 12:29:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons in Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Tibetan Buddhism  (Read 3669 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »

Every Buddha has to start out as a bodhisattva. A bodhisattva is basically a Buddha-to-be.

I thought a bodhisattva was one who voluntarily delayed his transition to nirvana to help other beings achieve enlightenment.

Sometimes it is presented this way, but the general Mahayana teaching is that a bodhisattva is someone who vows to become a Buddha for the enlightenment and liberation of countless sentient beings. This is in contrast to the Hinayana ideal of the arhat, who attains a personal enlightenment.

There is no need to delay Buddhahood to help other beings achieve enlightenment, because that is what Buddhas do.

Wait...Buddhas do things? Clearly everything I thought I knew about Buddhism is wrong. I need to start another thread for this.
Different Mahayana Buddhist schools have different ideas about what a Buddha can do. Some say that once you become a Buddha, you can't help sentient beings as directly as you could as a Bodhisattva, so one should focus on being a helpful Bodhisattva and let Buddhahood take care of itself.

Others say that being a Buddha means that one has the greatest power to help sentient beings, so one should realize Buddhahood as quickly as possible.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: idolatry icons iconography Paganism 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: