OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 04:16:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Manes Make 'Rasta' Lions Special  (Read 917 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 13, 2012, 08:37:56 PM »

The Addis Ababa Zoo in Ethiopia is home to the descendants of a collection of lions that belonged to the late emperor Haile Selassie, revered by the Rastafarian movement. Unlike other lions, these big cats have dark manes that extend all the way to their chest and belly. Now researchers say their genes also set them apart.

A group of scientists led by Susann Bruche, of Imperial College London, studied the DNA of eight males and seven females in the zoo. The team found the zoo lions are genetically distinct from all other existing lions. In total, the zoo houses 20 lions that belonged to the collection of Emperor Selassie who founded the zoo in 1948 with seven founding lions (five males and two females); these were said to have been captured in south-western Ethiopia though their geographical origin remains controversial.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:50:15 PM »

It's always about the hair with those people.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 12:12:04 AM »

It's always about the hair with those people.

Exactly. Those arrogant lions should go see the Zoo's barber! What "pride!"   Wink

BTW, it's always a sign of charity and enlightenment when someone remarks about "those people."

Selam
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:13:22 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »

I dont know why this is in the Oriental Orthodox section, it is better to be taken somewherelse where we discuss something like this.

first.....Those lions never pretended to impersonate neither a Nazarene nor an Orthodox Christian hermit when it suits them with their hair styles. Nor did they worship in a cult of a mere man as the messiah of the Living God. So the recommended and  sometime practiced hair cut by the Bishop to set apart the heretics and false brethren does not apply to them. The truth remains, that  Other than to get rid of the impersonators of big principles, no one cares about anyone’s hair style or the lack or presence of hair.

@ Jetvan it seems to me it was not the researchers  but  the news editor Megan cannon came up with the word ‘Rasta lions’ because she assumed it’s an easy association between seeing the Ethiopian ‘Black Lion’ on Rasta t-shirts and logos in the west as if the lion is called by Ethiopians a ‘Rasta lion’ which is completely false and once more shows how easily some in the academia can easily fall for the hype in their corner of town. The Lions are called ‘ tikur anbessa’/ black lions because of the unique black mane they have. They have been the symbol of Ethiopians for centuries. Like the bald eagle represents the US so does the Black Lion  Ethiopians. One of the patriotic insurgency movements was named black lions, our historians writers and  various contributors to Ethiopian history and civilization are called black lions because they are uniquely Ethiopian in the focus of their service  and are part of the National Pride.

The meaning of Ras in Ethiopia means prince. We certainly do not call those lions Rasta lions , we understand ‘Rasta’ to be something else entirely foreign to Ethiopian historical and ideological and religious understanding. Unfortunately the attempted correction of the Emperor Haile Silase who was the butt of the joke did not take hold. As some are still enamored with the distorted idea of him, and  also there are those who would drag his name as a validation to their pseudo religious political ideology. Either way, the Ethiopian know our history and our Faith and that includes engaging in the defense of the good name of our ‘ black lions’ as their noble name is our name.

In Ethiopia there are other endemic animals such as the Red Fox/ Simien Fox because of its red fur, we certainly do not call ourselves ‘ the red foxes’ loll  so it aint about the color of the hair, or the style of the hair, as much as who the personality and the character that gives honor to the shade of the hair. Grey hair is a crown of old age, if worn by some one of little character it dishonors them that much.

here is the original researchers publication on European Journal of wildlife research. http://www.springerlink.com/content/046h10rr1kx0276j/ 

A genetically distinct lion (Panthera leo) population from Ethiopia
Susann Bruche, Markus Gusset, Sebastian Lippold, Ross Barnett, Klaus Eulenberger, Jörg Junhold, Carlos A. Driscoll and Michael Hofreiter

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »

This is so crazy.  My rap name is Big Manes and my EP, Rasta Lions Special, is dropping next month.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »

I dont know why this is in the Oriental Orthodox section, it is better to be taken somewherelse where we discuss something like this.

first.....Those lions never pretended to impersonate neither a Nazarene nor an Orthodox Christian hermit when it suits them with their hair styles. Nor did they worship in a cult of a mere man as the messiah of the Living God. So the recommended and  sometime practiced hair cut by the Bishop to set apart the heretics and false brethren does not apply to them. The truth remains, that  Other than to get rid of the impersonators of big principles, no one cares about anyone’s hair style or the lack or presence of hair.

@ Jetvan it seems to me it was not the researchers  but  the news editor Megan cannon came up with the word ‘Rasta lions’ because she assumed it’s an easy association between seeing the Ethiopian ‘Black Lion’ on Rasta t-shirts and logos in the west as if the lion is called by Ethiopians a ‘Rasta lion’ which is completely false and once more shows how easily some in the academia can easily fall for the hype in their corner of town. The Lions are called ‘ tikur anbessa’/ black lions because of the unique black mane they have. They have been the symbol of Ethiopians for centuries. Like the bald eagle represents the US so does the Black Lion  Ethiopians. One of the patriotic insurgency movements was named black lions, our historians writers and  various contributors to Ethiopian history and civilization are called black lions because they are uniquely Ethiopian in the focus of their service  and are part of the National Pride.

The meaning of Ras in Ethiopia means prince. We certainly do not call those lions Rasta lions , we understand ‘Rasta’ to be something else entirely foreign to Ethiopian historical and ideological and religious understanding. Unfortunately the attempted correction of the Emperor Haile Silase who was the butt of the joke did not take hold. As some are still enamored with the distorted idea of him, and  also there are those who would drag his name as a validation to their pseudo religious political ideology. Either way, the Ethiopian know our history and our Faith and that includes engaging in the defense of the good name of our ‘ black lions’ as their noble name is our name.

In Ethiopia there are other endemic animals such as the Red Fox/ Simien Fox because of its red fur, we certainly do not call ourselves ‘ the red foxes’ loll  so it aint about the color of the hair, or the style of the hair, as much as who the personality and the character that gives honor to the shade of the hair. Grey hair is a crown of old age, if worn by some one of little character it dishonors them that much.

here is the original researchers publication on European Journal of wildlife research. http://www.springerlink.com/content/046h10rr1kx0276j/ 

A genetically distinct lion (Panthera leo) population from Ethiopia
Susann Bruche, Markus Gusset, Sebastian Lippold, Ross Barnett, Klaus Eulenberger, Jörg Junhold, Carlos A. Driscoll and Michael Hofreiter

Do I get bonus points if I bring up that before he was Halie Selassie his imperial majesty was Ras Tafari, thus if I am not mistaken "rasta" would either be meaningless or would mean "Prince Ta" which is certainly not what they were going for?
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The Addis Ababa Zoo in Ethiopia is home to the descendants of a collection of lions that belonged to the late emperor Haile Selassie, revered by the Rastafarian movement. Unlike other lions, these big cats have dark manes that extend all the way to their chest and belly. Now researchers say their genes also set them apart.

A group of scientists led by Susann Bruche, of Imperial College London, studied the DNA of eight males and seven females in the zoo. The team found the zoo lions are genetically distinct from all other existing lions. In total, the zoo houses 20 lions that belonged to the collection of Emperor Selassie who founded the zoo in 1948 with seven founding lions (five males and two females); these were said to have been captured in south-western Ethiopia though their geographical origin remains controversial.

The Ethiopian "Black" Lion has a distinctive darkened mane and tail fluff, and is a bit more slender and less muscular than other African lions.  Perhaps this family from Qedmawi HIM Haile Selassie  is just a more pronounced incarnation than other Ethiopian black lions.  Either way, Ethiopian black lions are increasingly rare and an endangered species.  Interesting how yet again, HIM preserved an otherwise potentially lost aspect of Ethiopia Smiley

There is also the even rarer Ethiopian wolf.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: