OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:13:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anglican Church  (Read 8269 times) Average Rating: 0
gphadraig

OC.net

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2004, 08:39:06 PM »

Does that mean that at the Christmas Midnight Mass the crib should be eliminated? (!3th century innovation brought in by Francis of Assisi).

Age is honourable and youth noble
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2004, 01:39:01 PM »

Come now, Keble, you don't expect me to go for this, now, do you?  I think you are fully aware of the importance of  Holy Tradition in Orthodox ecclesiology.  You must also be aware of how we cringe at using words like "acrretion" or "innovation" to describe changes made to the liturgy.  Such terminlogy effectively implies that the Holy Spirit had nothing to do with any changes made.  Of course, many things were added to the liturgy, at least in part because of human expediency.  This does not exclude the involvement of the Holy Spirit.  We Orthodox believe that God and humanity work together in synergy in the Church. 

This is true, but it is my observation that the more traditionally minded online Orthodox seem to place more emphasis on God's influence on the Liturgy than that of man.  Synergy works both ways.  This is not to say that we can do whatever we want with the Liturgy, but only that we need to keep both factors in mind. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 01:39:53 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2004, 07:06:44 PM »

Phil,

Absolutely, synergy works both ways. Did I say that it didn't? It is precisely a traditional understanding of liturgy that I am trying to defend here. Absolutely, God speaks to us in the liturgy, and it is the work of God, just like Scripture is.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 07:29:45 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2005, 08:42:39 PM »

Okay, sorry if I am overreacting here.  I was just thinking about how easy it is to be misunderstood on this board.  I have misunderstood others and been misunderstood myself a couple of times recently!

Bob

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: