OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 10:48:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Corner  (Read 403 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« on: October 13, 2012, 07:48:35 AM »

Since I now no longer have my man cave, I have to move my prayer "corner" (more like a spot against the wall) to a new location.  I was told previously I should be facing east when looking at the icons.  I was wondering if this is standard practice or just what most people tend to do. 

Also, as the man cave was located in the garage, I used incense frequently, but it will now be inside our home.  Any recommendations on the use of incense in the house?  Thanks!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »

Since I now no longer have my man cave, I have to move my prayer "corner" (more like a spot against the wall) to a new location.  I was told previously I should be facing east when looking at the icons.  I was wondering if this is standard practice or just what most people tend to do. 

Also, as the man cave was located in the garage, I used incense frequently, but it will now be inside our home.  Any recommendations on the use of incense in the house?  Thanks!

The Christian tradition has always be to pray facing the east. However, if there's no suitable, east facing wall/corner to place your icons, then you work with what you've got. South better than north, north better than west.

Unless you use very strong incense, or very large amounts you shouldn't have any problems using it in the house. Just make sure you light the charcoal next to an open window or something.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 08:13:45 AM »

Unless you use very strong incense, or very large amounts you shouldn't have any problems using it in the house. Just make sure you light the charcoal next to an open window or something.

Exactly. I've had only once problem with incense, but just because I'd put too much and my father is an asthmatic ;p But fortunately, opening all the windows were enough to solve the problem. I don't know if you ahve a "home censer", they're popular e.g. in Serbia,with this censer it's easier to use incese.

As for the icons, it should be the east, but don't worry, if there is no possibility to install the icon corner in the proper place. It's a nice tradition, but not everybody has done it in such way. Eventually, the most important thing is the prayer before it.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: