OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:03:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite Bishop?!?  (Read 3680 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »

Can't we all agree that uniatism isn't a decent model

What do you mean by "uniatism" and why it isn't a decent model?

Answers to those questions vary; but I think it is generally agreed that uniatism is one form of proselytism. (Not the only form, naturally.)

I don't know what "proselytism" means either. Grin It's supposed to be something bad and awful and somehow different from "evangelism" but I've never really understood how it's different why it is so bad.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »

Can't we all agree that uniatism isn't a decent model

What do you mean by "uniatism" and why it isn't a decent model?

Answers to those questions vary; but I think it is generally agreed that uniatism is one form of proselytism. (Not the only form, naturally.)

I don't know what "proselytism" means either. Grin

Touche.

FWIW, Catholics and Orthodox agree in rejecting uniatism.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »

FWIW, Catholics and Orthodox agree in rejecting uniatism.

I am an Orthodox Christian and I believe that also Catholics of Eastern rites have freedom of religion.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »

and I believe that also Catholics of Eastern rites have freedom of religion.

Hear hear! :thumbsup:

I am an Orthodox Christian

I thought you were, but then I wasn't sure if I was misremembering since your profile doesn't say.

Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »

So, I said earlier that I generally view "uniatism" as a decent role model.

And what I mean by this is that I accept any means which allows diverse liturgical rites and customs from authentic inculturation, especially over centuries to occur harmoniously with another rite which is the majority rite within a single unified Church.

And with that being said, I think its fair to say that the Western rite Orthodoxy is an advantage over Eastern rite Catholicism because in the Orthodox situation, the byzantine rite majority of Orthodox are remaining more firmly attached to tradition, whereas in the Roman communion the latin rite majority are more firmly attached to novelty and trends of protestant or humanist influence.

If one is to pick the overwhemling influence of the majority of Orthodoxy,  one finds traditional christianity there, whereas overwhelming influence in the majority of those who claim to be "Roman" Catholicism is that of protestantism/modernism. Therefore more likely than one will end up being a traditional latin rite Orthodox "catholic" in communion with Moscow and more likely to be a modernist Eastern rite "heterodox" Catholic in communion with Rome.

By saying this I do not deny that attachment to older tradition does not also exist in Roman Catholicism, only that for the past few decades it has been very much attacked and weakened. In Orthodox catholicism it has had some suffering too, but not as severely (unless one takes the julian calendar into account).

Pictures like this are what await the Melkite's future if the modernists have their way, pictures like this will be how all Melkite Qurbanas will eventually look. No inconostasis, priest facing people, lady playing the guitar behind the bishop, adults and teenagers receiving chrismation instead of babies and many other modernist influences.

http://www.catedralsanjorge.org.ve/album/albums/userpics/10001/4025570.jpg
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:56:22 PM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »

Pictures like this are what await the Melkite's future if the modernists have their way, pictures like this will be how all Melkite Qurbanas will eventually look. No inconostasis, priest facing people, lady playing the guitar behind the bishop, adults and teenagers receiving chrismation instead of babies and many other modernist influences.

This picture illustrates why the Orthodox Church exists, were it to be with Rome, it would have had it's faith and orthodoxy destroyed.

from: http://www.catedralsanjorge.org.ve/album/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=1

Where I said that some attachment to "older tradition" remains, before I should have said "authentic" tradition, as compared to "inauthentic". Thats what traditional roman catholics are often after, authentic tradition, the majority of modernist ones follow too often "inauthentic" traditions, though not entirely or absolutely.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:05:46 PM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »

So, I said earlier that I generally view "uniatism" as a decent role model.

And what I mean by this is that I accept any means which allows diverse liturgical rites and customs from authentic inculturation, especially over centuries to occur harmoniously with another rite which is the majority rite within a single unified Church.

But that isn't the issue. The issue is more that Catholics set up Eastern Rites specifically for the sake of proselytizing among the Eastern Orthodox. (Of course, a second issue is that some promises that were made, or at least implied, in the unions, weren't adhered to later -- but that's generally included under the topic of Latinization rather than Uniatism.)

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: