OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:11:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So you're now a Multi-Millionare, What do you Do?  (Read 4155 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »

Quite stereotypical that the best advice about money in this thread is given by a Jew  Cheesy

No offence meant, of course.
Of course by financial and legal advise I mean the law firm of Horwitz, Goldman and Straus and the accountants of Katz, Greenberg and Stien  Wink

Proverbs 22:7
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »

Pray It never happens to you.
Pray if it does,You can give it all away before you die.

<< Matthew 16:26 >>

New International Version (©1984)
What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »

Quite stereotypical that the best advice about money in this thread is given by a Jew  Cheesy

Of course by financial and legal advise I mean the law firm of Horwitz, Goldman and Straus and the accountants of Katz, Greenberg and Stien  Wink
...you mean, Stein?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »

...you mean, Stein?

He's a convert. Getting down all the names for the Gnomes of Zurich is going to take a while longer.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »

-I'd become a citizen of the UK.  I'd go to my ancestral homeland in Yorkshire, and live on the mostly unspoiled northern countryside on a large estate.

It is quite beautiful there. Been there a few times. Smiley

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »

I thought you were a convert to, um, "Judaism"?

Forgive my sins.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2012, 10:15:10 PM »

What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

How do I even know if the soul exists? What if there is no afterlife and this is all there is because God doesn't seem to interact with us anymore? Might as well have as much fun in this life as I can instead of wasting it all away working towards something that won't happen right? Unless God gave me full reassurance that there is something better after death, then I don't think I can listen to what you said.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »

I am. I thought you had a sense of humor.

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »

Why is it always assumed that if someone has money that they must have done some unethical or immoral to earn it?

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2012, 10:18:07 PM »

I am. I thought you had a sense of humor.

Haha, I just didn't know if you were ethnic of not. Grin

Forgive my sins.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2012, 10:59:38 PM »

How an Earth that could be offensive in any meaningful sense?
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2012, 11:02:51 PM »

Use it to fund study in Seminary.

Thank you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2012, 11:10:26 PM »

Quite stereotypical that the best advice about money in this thread is given by a Jew  Cheesy

How an Earth that could be offensive in any meaningful sense?

I was watching a video by Br. Nathanael and in the related videos I found one by a fellow named Jediahbahaza, and he had proof that in the next 4 years, if Romney wins, that the US is going to replace our currency with something called "Jew bucks," and only Jewish-owned banks will have special protection, and if we don't return to the gold standard and put the gold back in fort knox the zionists are going to easily conquer this country from within. He had all sorts of evidence for this, showing that Jews control the media and banks, and that whites have been slowly pushed out of these areas, and of course Hollywood has helped cover this up by promoting movies by people like Mel Brooks. I also heard on another of his videos that they are going to replace jewelry with something called jewry, which I guess is sort of like that cubix zarconia stuff only not as good.

Vote Obama!

EDIT--I think they found me! My computer is ac ting fun  ny.f
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:11:41 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »

EDIT--I think they found me! My computer is ac ting fun  ny.f

They figured out strike-outs ages ago Asteriktos. Use a forward slash between each letter: /. Be sure not to use a backslash, \, because leftists like myself can't help themselves from using it and the powers that be already have the interspersed backslash covered.You will be safe for a few more hours heeding my advice and I hope you make good use of it.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2012, 01:34:04 AM »

get financial and legal advice.
Smart.

Invest and set aside for taxes. I would pay off debt for my self and my family, then I would buy a new car, a home, a graduate degree/language education, and either a political group or a non-profit to give me a chance to work there on some projects to help people, and make sure dress well for occasions I would make sure I had to mingle with classy men, and maybe by a soccer or basketball team.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:36:48 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »

I want one of these:

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2012, 09:00:19 PM »

It is funny how we think we can be smart with money, But I think Jesus made it clear that is not possible.And when we figure it out it is too late.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:01:33 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »

Imagine that you won the mega-millions lottery and are now a multi-millionare. What do you do with your wealth?

Something stupid.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »

It is funny how we think we can be smart with money, But I think Jesus made it clear that is not possible.And when we figure it out it is too late.

Well Jesus never suffered from poverty to be fair...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »

Say what?
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »

Say what?

Only Mexicans with iPhones and internet connections suffer poverty, der.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »

It may make more sense to give it all away if you are content with your life as it exists.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2012, 12:17:23 AM »

I want one of these:

This is what I wanted since high school Akimori. Not so much the paintings by Kanō Tan'yū, but the peaceful environment provided by the absence of clutter in Japanese homes. Perhaps I have always idealized this living environment and it is not true.

christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2012, 04:27:47 PM »

Half of it I'd use for investments in various stocks, commodities, exchange trader funds, and mutual funds to increase my wealth. A quarter of it I'd use for myself, my friends, and my family. The other quarter I'd give out as donations.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »

I always dreamt when someone won $350 million all by themselves, if that would happen to me, I'd play a game to see how fast I could get rid of most of it.  I'd take care of my mother and brother and then give at least a million to my parish and then to our Consistory I'd give for the many charities they have.  I'd support all our seminarians.  All my friends who are suffering financially I'd give a million.  Then I'd give to many charities I have a fondness for.  And I'd keep just enough to have my own place and take care of all the needs that would come with that.

When I was growing up there was a TV series called "The Millionare".  The man would give a stranger a check for $1 million, tax free.  What a wonderful way to spend the remainder of my live on earth.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »

I always dreamt when someone won $350 million all by themselves, if that would happen to me, I'd play a game to see how fast I could get rid of most of it.  I'd take care of my mother and brother and then give at least a million to my parish and then to our Consistory I'd give for the many charities they have.  I'd support all our seminarians.  All my friends who are suffering financially I'd give a million.  Then I'd give to many charities I have a fondness for.  And I'd keep just enough to have my own place and take care of all the needs that would come with that.

When I was growing up there was a TV series called "The Millionare".  The man would give a stranger a check for $1 million, tax free.  What a wonderful way to spend the remainder of my live on earth.

If you really wanted to see how fast you could give it all away, you could always just ask for my checking acount info.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2012, 07:58:33 PM »

He went into the desert for forty days and suffered hunger , thirst and more than any man before.

THEN THE DEVIL DID ALL HE COULD TO TEMPT HIM. I believe you are not quite thinking this thru.

Also what he suffered when he was beaten and crucified is more than most men can even contemplate.

He took all sin upon himself which is to say he felt all of our pain and suffering in all humanity, and he still does this for us.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:06:44 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2012, 08:48:47 PM »

I want one of these:

This is what I wanted since high school Akimori. Not so much the paintings by Kanō Tan'yū, but the peaceful environment provided by the absence of clutter in Japanese homes. Perhaps I have always idealized this living environment and it is not true.

I do not think you have unduly idealised it. It is a way of life (and an aesthetic) that I have come to prefer, though I am sure it is to everyone's taste.

I enjoy the gold in the wall/screen paintings -- reminds me of our iconography.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2012, 08:55:01 PM »

What would the man who said, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head" know about poverty?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: