OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:25:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So you're now a Multi-Millionare, What do you Do?  (Read 4321 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: October 12, 2012, 10:11:26 PM »

Imagine that you won the mega-millions lottery and are now a multi-millionare. What do you do with your wealth? Share your fantasies and tell us what you would do if you possessed that much money.

I'll start. If I became a multi-millionare the first thing I would do is buy my family a large house to live in with enough room to house all of my friends if they ever wanted to visit. Then, I would buy myself an even nicer, larger house to live in in the future when I become an adult. In the meantime, I would rent it out to make even more money until I grew up. After all that was finished, I would buy the company my father works at and give it to my father. That way instead of being bossed around all day at work, he could boss around his old boss all day as payback and never really have to work another day in his life. I'd buy him a big cozy chair with a 90 inch TV to watch sports in all day.

I would then treat my mom to a bunch of crap she doesn't need. Buy her all the best silverware and dishes for the kitchen and fancy furniture, along with all the overpriced, fancy designer clothing her heart could desire. Then, I would pay off the remaining $8,000 mortgage on my senile old grandmother's house and buy her all the beer she could ever want. Then, I would hire the greatest lawyers available and see about getting my grandfather out of jail or at least reducing his sentence to house arrest or community service.

Then, I would hire myself a bunch of attractive French maids to do all my chores for me and cook my favorite foods and then take care of me as an adult when I move out of my parents' house. After that, I would then send a gift of about $300,000 to my friend William who also frequents this site, along with a firstclass, luxury vacation to California.

Then, for my Priest/Spiritual Father, I would replace that oversized wooden Cross he wears around his neck during Liturgy with an oversized 100% pure gold Cross to wear during Liturgy and have the main Christ's Resurrection Icon in my Church be given a golden and diamond frame.

Then, I would take the remaining money and split it in half. With the first half, I would drive around a ghetto neighborhood and just give it out to homeless people. With the second half, I would manage it very carefully and live out the rest of my life higher middle class without hopefully ever having to work.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:14:16 PM »

Become Robin Hood and steal from ialmisry's bank accounts and redistribute the wealth.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:18:26 PM »

fter that, I would then send a gift of about $300,000 to my friend William who also frequents this site, along with a firstclass, luxury vacation to California.

I'm liking this idea.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:20:20 PM »

Some for investments.
Some for charity.
Some for Mom and Dad.
Then, motorcycles!  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »

You could donate here:
FatherNathan Monk is one of the few Western-rite Orthodox priests in this country. He devotes enormous amounts of time to serving his parishioners, and, importantly, the poor as well. Please add a little oil to this light of the world and donate to St. Benedict Orthodox Mission:

http://www.saintbenedictmission.com/donate.html

They don't have enough money to continue running even to the end of the month. We want them to continue serving Christ and His world for decades to come.
From my friend on Facebook.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

and what Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »

I'd buy a double wide trailer on thousands of acres.  Then I would spend the rest of it on four wheelers....

EDIT: and guns

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:44:48 PM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 11:01:32 PM »

I believe in tithing as the Protestant church I was raised in taught, so 10% to my parish off the top.

Pay off my student loans. Pay off my parents' and siblings' debts. Open trust funds for my nieces and nephews. Then I'd treat my family to a vacation together.

I'd live off a portion, but not outrageously. I like living simply, and a small place in the woods would suit me fine.

My one big splurge would be buying a seat on a SpaceX flight to the space station (or the moon if they offer it by then). The exploding engines don't faze me.

I'd make some investments to live off and continue sharing with my family. I'd like to start two charitable foundations or something, one to help people and causes in my community that I believe in, and the other to help start new Orthodox mission parishes where they're needed.

I don't gamble so it won't happen, but that's just as well. Best laid plans... I'd probably become a self-centered old jerk and burn in hell or something.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:07:49 PM by age234 » Logged
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »

R E L A X
[/b]

Then take care of family and friends.

NEVER worry abt $$ again.

Even better, never ever again see my family (mother) worry at $$$!

Then i would build a wall around me so no one can bug me for money.

tangent:
Im soo happy no one said open a biz.
when i ask this question of friends some say invest and open a biz!
I never understude that, investiong it ok, but a biz?
I just told u u wone 200mil and u think you need to open a biz???
for what, to make a couple hundred thousand a yr, is it realy worth the head ach?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »

Open a gym  Grin
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 12:28:30 AM »

My wife and I have discussed this several times.

First, tithe at least 10%.  Depending on the amount would depend on where it specifically went, but if it were enough I would spread it around to several different churches.

Another 10% to organized charities.

Pay off what little I owe as well as my immediate family’s bills and probably give them a good amount to sustain for some time.

I would find a beautiful, large piece of property and build a suitable residence.  The land would be chosen for self-sustainment, security and seclusion.  In other words, large enough only people who really wanted to see me would come by, easily defensible in emergencies and I could live off the grid if I really wanted.

I would take a very long vacation (at least 6 months) and see all the things I have wanted to see but couldn’t.

Put back enough of the money so I would not have to worry about anything, ever.

Spend the rest going around helping as many people as I could.  No set plan, just doing what I could for those in real need and would appreciate the help.

I am sure there would be other things along the way, but with that kind of money, who plans too far?  Just go with it.

All of this is under the assumption multi means several hundred, not two.  The less money, the less stuff can be done with it, obviously.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:30:41 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 12:50:35 AM »

Become Robin Hood and steal from ialmisry's bank accounts and redistribute the wealth.

I appreciate the sentiment, but it would be a sinful act nevertheless.

neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 01:20:30 AM »

First, start buying a ton of stocks, hire some financial advisers to help me make smart investments. This will give me a steady flow of money, so I won't just be limited to my lottery winnings.

Second, my family owns a beach house which will be used as an investment property, so I will pay off all the mortgage and debts, and pay for a few additions/renovations.

Third, I would buy new cars for my mother and I. Probably a Porsche for my mom and a Tesla Roadster for myself.

I'd donate money to research for cancer, retinal implants, and to find solutions to environmental problems, among other things.

I would donate to several charities, including Heifer International, Save the Children, etc., and also many religious organizations.

I would start up an account for my future children's college, as well as paying for my own.

OH! And I would buy a TON of musical paraphernalia, guitars, amps, pedals, string instruments, brass, etc. I would probably try to acquire a massive collection of vintage guitars. Probably buy myself a little recording studio as well, hire a few session musicians and record an album just for fun.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:22:46 AM by neon_knights » Logged
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 01:39:08 AM »

I've been in Isa's automobile. There's not all that much wealth to redistribute, going off that. Set your sights higher. If Robin Hood is truly your model, set up a worm to mine the IRS. Locksley was protesting unfair taxation as much as championing the poor.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 02:30:13 AM »

I have no idea. Being a somewhat middle classer and stingy I've never really learnt to use huge amounts of money. Probably I would just buy an ipad, a kleinbus and start furnishing my present apartment. Tongue Endless academic career without any need for having a real occupation would be nice though.

EDIT:
Oh, I would also buy IKEA company and just destroy the whole company and burn their furniture.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:33:00 AM by Alpo » Logged
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 02:33:04 AM »

Collect my Ballon d'Or...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:35:13 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 02:34:12 AM »

Oh, I would also buy IKEA company and just destroy the whole company and burn their furniture.

LMAO!!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:34:22 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:07 AM »

Buy a diamond planet.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 05:28:17 AM »

Buy a massive needle I can push my camel through.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 05:40:43 AM »

Buy a nice house and a lot of books and never work again.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:40:56 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 06:04:18 AM »

Wipe my arse with white rabbits and fantasize about being poor (Louis C.K. reference).
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 08:14:51 AM »

Open a gym  Grin
But would you become a member and actually go  Cheesy ?

As for myself, I would enjoy enough financial freedom to not have to check my account balance online before heading for the ATM. But quite frankly, I'm not sure I'm up to the responsibility of much beyond that, although of course I occasionally find myself dreaming about all those things (or similar) that others have already said.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »

if I had a million dollars

I would ask for a big enough butt for the whole world to kiss
Mivac

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 11:08:03 AM »

I would buy a real nice black and white T.V. with a 15in screen.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:08:48 AM by Mivac » Logged
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »

Destroy it before it destroys me.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 01:18:03 PM »

Imagine that you won the mega-millions lottery and are now a multi-millionare. What do you do with your wealth? Share your fantasies and tell us what you would do if you possessed that much money.

I'll start. If I became a multi-millionare the first thing I would do is buy my family a large house to live in with enough room to house all of my friends if they ever wanted to visit. Then, I would buy myself an even nicer, larger house to live in in the future when I become an adult. In the meantime, I would rent it out to make even more money until I grew up. After all that was finished, I would buy the company my father works at and give it to my father. That way instead of being bossed around all day at work, he could boss around his old boss all day as payback and never really have to work another day in his life. I'd buy him a big cozy chair with a 90 inch TV to watch sports in all day.

I would then treat my mom to a bunch of crap she doesn't need. Buy her all the best silverware and dishes for the kitchen and fancy furniture, along with all the overpriced, fancy designer clothing her heart could desire. Then, I would pay off the remaining $8,000 mortgage on my senile old grandmother's house and buy her all the beer she could ever want. Then, I would hire the greatest lawyers available and see about getting my grandfather out of jail or at least reducing his sentence to house arrest or community service.

Then, I would hire myself a bunch of attractive French maids to do all my chores for me and cook my favorite foods and then take care of me as an adult when I move out of my parents' house. After that, I would then send a gift of about $300,000 to my friend William who also frequents this site, along with a firstclass, luxury vacation to California.

Then, for my Priest/Spiritual Father, I would replace that oversized wooden Cross he wears around his neck during Liturgy with an oversized 100% pure gold Cross to wear during Liturgy and have the main Christ's Resurrection Icon in my Church be given a golden and diamond frame.

Then, I would take the remaining money and split it in half. With the first half, I would drive around a ghetto neighborhood and just give it out to homeless people. With the second half, I would manage it very carefully and live out the rest of my life higher middle class without hopefully ever having to work.

Ahem...aren't you forgetting about vamrat?   Wink
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »

Stuff about not me

Get your priorities in order.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »

Sick of getting preempted around here by minutes.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

Me thinks you would have no money left to split.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »

Steal from Achronos after he steals from ialmisry's bank accounts. police
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »

-Put away a sufficient amount to sustain me through graduate school, paying my tuition, books, etc.

-Pay off the heap of debt my mother has gotten herself into over the last 10 years.

-Sell my truck and get myself a nice green jeep.

-Put away the money until after university

---some years later---

-I'd become a citizen of the UK.  I'd go to my ancestral homeland in Yorkshire, and live on the mostly unspoiled northern countryside on a large estate.

-I'd save the rest for various other things I'd want throughout my life, and leave the remainder to a good cause in my will.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:37:54 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »

I would hire someone good to handle my money (or put mass quantities in C.D.s) and live off of 50K a year.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 03:37:34 PM »

Sick of getting preempted around here by minutes.

Dude, he's a multimillionaire.  There is plenty for both of us.  We could be his consiglieris, as it were.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »

I would give some to the church, buy stuff for my family (pay off all houses and cars), become a part owner in several small businesses, invest in land (rental property mostly), and buy a tank. 
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »

I would give some to the church, buy stuff for my family (pay off all houses and cars), become a part owner in several small businesses, invest in land (rental property mostly), and buy a tank. 
  What kind of a tank?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

Oh please. We're talking like 200-300 million dollars here. I've barely spent 5 million at the most with everything I bought.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »

Then, for my Priest/Spiritual Father, I would replace that oversized wooden Cross he wears around his neck during Liturgy with an oversized 100% pure gold Cross to wear during Liturgy
Going from wood to pure gold would be a heavy cross to bear indeed.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »

get financial and legal advice.

Proverbs 22:7
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »

get financial and legal advice.

Smart man.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »

What kind of a tank?

An Easy 8 probably wouldn't be too hard to get a hold of if you can find one.  I know that the Serbian government is selling off used T34/85s.  When it gets down to it, I don't think either a T55 or T62 would be all that hard to get.
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »

Although it isn't as overwhelming as it used to be, a Tiger Tank, would be something to have!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 05:28:46 PM »

Oh please. We're talking like 200-300 million dollars here. I've barely spent 5 million at the most with everything I bought.

Wow.  When you said multi, you really meant multi.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 05:50:53 PM »

Quite stereotypical that the best advice about money in this thread is given by a Jew  Cheesy

No offence meant, of course.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:52:15 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »

Open a gym  Grin
But would you become a member and actually go  Cheesy ?

No way! I'd have tons of money to attract womenz, why bother staying in shape?  Cool

But I thought we were talking about 2-3 million, not 200-300 million. I might have to set my sights a little higher in that case...
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2012, 06:51:04 PM »

Although it isn't as overwhelming as it used to be, a Tiger Tank, would be something to have!

That would have been my choice  Wink but with only one operational I doubt that Bovington would part with theirs!
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: