OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 04:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lebanon bans ‘Fetih 1453’ from theaters  (Read 2806 times) Average Rating: 0
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2012, 09:28:34 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

NOTE TO MODS, THIS IS HISTORICAL DISCUSSION, NOT MEANT TO BE POLITICS Smiley

For what it is worth for the past 1500 years, essentially have we had any better attitudes about Arabs

Many of the Arabs before and even after the invention of Islam were "us" -- the Lakhmids, the Ghassanids, the Banu Taghlib, etc. were all Christian tribes. Do not fall for the Islamist lie that links Arab and Muslim together in an existential fashion. If Islam had never happened, there would still be plenty of Arabs.

Many but not all.  The Arabian peninsula was dominated by Arab monarchies that were "traditionalist" and that were Jewish and rivaled the Christians.  The Byzantines supported the Imperial Ethiopian expansion into the peninsula to indeed protect these Christian communities in pre-Islamic times, but in the process several decades of sectarian and Imperial wars devastated the region.  Since then, we can really think of the Muslim conquest as a push back against Europeans (Christians but not necessarily because of religious beef but political and economic as much as anything) and their allies, and of course their other nemesis the Persians who filled in the vacuum in 575.. 

and Muslims?

Have they given us any reason to?
[/quote]

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Lets not pretend that they haven't had good relations at times and in regions and under particular circumstances, but we have to be completely honest that Christians are complicit in stirring the pot.  Perhaps Copts can exclude themselves directly, but the rest of the Imperial Christian world has been involved in politics, economics, and war in the regions for 1500 years. It is a hegemonic rivalry, sometimes it is indeed very religious, but I prefer the Marxist historian analysis and examine the economic and politic motives as well.  We can naturally debate this, and healthily we should, but we also have to own up to all aspects.  The least I could say that the hostilities have largely in history been quite mutual.

Does this exonerate or vindicate Muslim crimes against Christians.  OF COURSE NOT.  However, it does point that in the analysis, sometimes it is very complicated Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2012, 05:58:47 AM »

I didn't watch it. Isn't it just Turkish propaganda?
I watched the trailer for the film and it does look like propaganda.  Be that as it may, the attack on Constantinople - as depicted in the trailer - reminded me of the attack of the armies of Mordor on Minas Tirith.  Cheesy

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »

we have been leaving for some time, at least since the Zionist came.  It's been 20 years since I was there last, but the local Christians preferred the Jordanians.  At least the Muslims have some use for you.  The Zionists have no room for goyim.

Lebanese Christians somehow preferred the Zionists over the Islamists.  Wink

Islamists consider Jerusalem their third Mecca and this is why they are not going to let any "gavour" even come close to it once they achieve their goal (Elohim forbid!). Remember how Muhammad wanted all Christians out of Arabia.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »

I watched the movie. It wasn't really offensive and they had some historical facts wrong (they didn't notice that the florentine union already happened)

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2012, 12:44:25 PM »

And the award for the most obscene use of the phrase push back goes to:

Since then, we can really think of the Muslim conquest as a push back against Europeans

Extra applause for using it as a countable noun!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »

we have been leaving for some time, at least since the Zionist came.  It's been 20 years since I was there last, but the local Christians preferred the Jordanians.  At least the Muslims have some use for you.  The Zionists have no room for goyim.

Islamists consider Jerusalem their third Mecca

I thought that was Detroit, hence the hostility between Orthodox Christians and Muslims. The Muslims having their third Mecca within the Orthodox Third Moscow.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »

Glory to God!

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »

Because the Zionists haven't annexed Lebanon, yet.

Islamists consider Jerusalem their third Mecca and this is why they are not going to let any "gavour" even come close to it once they achieve their goal (Elohim forbid!). Remember how Muhammad wanted all Christians out of Arabia.
So they say.  And yet they stayed.

Btw, I don't know if any Islamists except a Turkish one would know what a gavour is.  Kafir is their term of choice.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2012, 10:42:17 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Of all the posts for ialmisry NOT to post a pertinent map..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:42:52 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: