OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 05:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bishop's Throne  (Read 2233 times) Average Rating: 0
Levsky

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Orthodox Diocese of the USA, Canada, and Australia

« on: October 11, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »

I've been looking at some videos from Eastern American diocese of ROCOR and have noticed that Metropolitan Hilarion and the other bishops stand on a raised platform in the middle of church during some of the services. Is this platform a Russian replacement for the bishop's throne? I ask this because neither the Bulgarians nor the Greeks themselves have anything like this.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 02:43:47 AM »

Yes, it is.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 03:26:12 AM »

There aren't bishops' thrones in Russian practice? Finns use those platforms but I've also seen a throne in one church. Must be a loan from Greeks since the church in question is otherwise fairly Greek.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:26:40 AM by Alpo » Logged

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 04:02:28 AM »

Greek churches generally have a bishop's throne on the right-hand side of the nave, just short of the solea; Russian churches set up a platform covered with red or wine-colored cloth and a suitable chair about a third of the way into the nave.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

In my parish we don't elevate the Bishops seat when HGs comes to visit with us, but we still have a revered Throne-chair for them and further when they are with us sitting anywhere we lay out silk and embroidered fabrics which we also use for the Altar.  Further, the canopy is always brought out like it is for the Gospel and the Holy Communion.  The Bishops traditionally are the living Apostles, and we revere them as almost Living Saints who carry that Grace of God in them and share it with us best as they are able.  When we revere them, it is not exactly personal (though sometimes if folks are close enough in a paternal relationship it is Smiley )as much as spiritual.  We acknowledge that God is working through the Bishops, and so we revere them as we do the Icons, not to worship the people themselves but the  Grace of God which flows through their actions and persons.

[ Lord have Mercy on HH soul ]

The Throne of the Bishop comes to symbolize the Throne of the Apostles which in reality is like an extension of the Dominions and Powers of the Angels.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:40:10 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »

My church (OCA) has a bishop's throne in the altar, behind the Holy Table. Fr. told us at catechism this week that the Greek practice of having the bishop sit outside in the middle of the church is ahistoric, and that throne properly belongs to the emperor.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

My church (OCA) has a bishop's throne in the altar, behind the Holy Table. Fr. told us at catechism this week that the Greek practice of having the bishop sit outside in the middle of the church is ahistoric, and that throne properly belongs to the emperor.

Yes, we usually keep the Throne in the Altar, and yes, there used to be two Thrones equal in stature and rank, one for the Bishop and the other for the Emperor. Today, the Ethiopian Church indeed has allowed for the Crown Prince HIH Zara Yacob to have the rights and privileges to sit on the Throne during Divine Liturgy as HIH grandfather HIM Haile Selassie I sat before HIH. 

We usually don't take the Bishop's Throne-chair out, rather just lay the fabrics down on the whichever seat the Bishop is going to sit on, but sometimes for the Metropolitan or the Patriarch the Throne is taken out of the Altar and brought into the Sanctuary Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »

It is not a replacement.  In Hagia Sophia there was a throne on the Solea where the patriarch sat until the Little Entrance and another throne behind the altar in the apse.  The Slav tradition retains this arrangement.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »

The Ukrainian Bishop stands on a covered platform in the middle of the nave.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:38:33 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »

Another instance of an OO hierarch wearing Constantinopolitan mitre. They seem to have fallen in love with them. Smiley

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »

Finally submitting to East Rome as is their charge.

Wink

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »

Finally submitting to East Rome as is their charge.

Wink
LOL. To that upstart?

I have a post on the EP and Emperor of New Rome taking their hats off to the Pope of Alexandria (it was Emperor Basil II, but I forget the patriarch).
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19115.0.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:12:37 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »

Heh, neat!  Cheesy

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »

Greek churches generally have a bishop's throne on the right-hand side of the nave, just short of the solea; Russian churches set up a platform covered with red or wine-colored cloth and a suitable chair about a third of the way into the nave.

Greek bishops moved to the emperor's throne.

I thought the Russian throne was behind the altar.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »

Another instance of an OO hierarch wearing Constantinopolitan mitre. They seem to have fallen in love with them. Smiley

Those vestments are so awesome.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 11:00:46 PM »

It is. At least it is in my parish.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »

Greek bishops moved to the emperor's throne.

It is.  The second throne in the nave is used in hierarchal liturgies only.  The bishop sits here until the little entrance.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: