OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 01:43:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical Symbolism  (Read 276 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: October 11, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »

I am trying to put together a "booklet" for my students (and their parents) explaining the wondrous symbolism, and reality that unfolds before us during the Liturgy.

However, I have come across a number of different interpretations for a number of occurrences.  Each book I purchase describes a different explanation for what is happening.

For example, the waving of the Aer over the Gifts during the Creed - Holy Spirit descending, earth shaking, reminiscent of the earthquake at the crucifixion, etc.

Does anyone know of a good source of the various explanations...and which are correct?  I'm not saying that any are particularly "wrong" understandings, however, the Liturgy was designed with some particular occurrence in mind.

Thanks in advance!
Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »

It's worth remembering that many of the actions came about for purely practical reasons, and were only later interpreted to symbolise this or that. This does in no way diminish that symbolism, but it does mean that one interpretation isn't necessarily more correct than the other, since the action in question wasn't necessarily "designed with some particular occurrence in mind." So no reason why you can't include more than one interpretation.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:49:14 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »

I wouldn't mind if you posted it here when you finish...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »

LOL!  I will.

I already have one in Ukrainian/English that I titled "What" is that/"What" do I do?  Which explained the various things one finds in church and what they mean - candles, icons, stained glass windows, dome, ikonostas, banners, Chalice, Altar, Nave, etc.

Then the "what" do I do portion, explains what to do....get up early, no eating/drinking if going to Holy Communion, dress modestly, how to light a candle, how to make the sign of the Cross, when to bow, when not to walk around, where you can or cannot walk, etc.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: