OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 08:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That's what Jesus' wife said.  (Read 2100 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 10, 2012, 05:49:19 PM »

This time it ain't from a papyrus:

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, the Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell,” U.S Rep. Paul Broun said.  “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.” Broun, a medical doctor by training, serves on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gop-congressman-calls-evolution-the-big-bang-theory-lies-straight-from-the-pit-of-hell/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:54:11 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:08 PM »

I don't get your titling of this thread.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 08:33:05 PM »

What the heck is with fundamentalist Protestants? No wonder Protestantism is dying, between the liberals & the fundamentalists, they're destroying their own faith (and the faith of their children).
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »

Let me guess, he is from the south, ooooooh brother , I was rite, I swear being rite never helps.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »

What the heck is with fundamentalist Protestants? No wonder Protestantism is dying, between the liberals & the fundamentalists, they're destroying their own faith (and the faith of their children).

You ask this and we have a perpetual thread here with about 4700 replies on evolution?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »

This will be merged with the evolution thread.

Forgive my sins.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »

I just think there are TOO MANY ISSUES!   Wow.    Was Jesus' wife referring to the bride/church?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »

Let me guess, he is from the south
Wow, thats nice and insulting.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:43:17 PM »

No, no. Please don't let it be.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »

Grass grows, fish swim, and these discussions end up with that topic. laugh

Forgive my sins.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »

You ask this and we have a perpetual thread here with about 4700 replies on evolution?

I'm not just referring to evolution but everything that is wrong with liberal Christians & fundamentalist Protestants. Both are doing an equally good job at destroying their own faith. The fundamentalists have thrown away their own brains for a mindless adherence to a so-called faith, and the liberals have thrown away the truth & morality for adherence to a lax & almost atheistic faith.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »

PP

It was also the truth, He is a representative of Georgia and they have a reputation for it. Not something I insulted from out of thin air.

I really said that to myself before I saw where he was from, yes politicians from all over are also prejudiced about something, but that rhetoric has been a common theme from the Southern bible belt for as long as I can remember.

I am sorry  to others from the south who are not politicians ,I was not saying anyone from the south but this man is a politician . I would not say that if he were just any man on the street. He has a responsibility to the country as a Rep.

I have plenty of friends from Chicago area who would agree with this man, but they are not politicians spouting publicly.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:34:33 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Green_Umbrella

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, the Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell,” U.S Rep. Paul Broun said.  “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.” Broun, a medical doctor by training, serves on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gop-congressman-calls-evolution-the-big-bang-theory-lies-straight-from-the-pit-of-hell/

Does not the big bang theory support creation?

Besides, politicians will say and do whatever it takes to get them elected.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »

---REALLY resisting urge to say something political.... Embarrassed

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »

I'll say the same thing here that I said on Oct. 5 when I posted it on my facebook... Even doctors can be dumb.  police

Large Marge sent me...
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:50:17 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »

It was the the Scientific American blog about a week ago...

Large Marge sent me...
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 06:22:29 AM »

How are scientific theories from hell?

Thank you.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 06:28:13 AM »

I'll say the same thing here that I said on Oct. 5 when I posted it on my facebook... Even doctors can be dumb.  police

I don't think he's dumb, he just has a low opinion of his audience (and, judging by their reaction to his speech, rightfully so) and knows what he needs to say to win their vote.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 06:51:50 AM »

PP

Come on!  The world knows every southerner has a replica of the General Lee in a field on their tobacco farm they drive on the weekends when they take a bath, clean their long johns, and brush their teeth in preparation for the date with their first cousin. 

It’s common knowledge.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »

This isn't a discussion of evolution.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »

Just as you're destroying your own faith with your own brand of Orthodox fundamentalism?
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »

Just as you're destroying your own faith with your own brand of Orthodox fundamentalism?

Explain what about me is fundamentalist and where I'm different from some of the most prominent modern Orthodox Christian theologians, writers & other figures?
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

"..Meh"

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »

Explain what about me is fundamentalist and where I'm different from some of the most prominent modern Orthodox Christian theologians, writers & other figures?

Are there prominent modern Orthodox theologians and writers who want to deport religious minorities from Orthodox countries?
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »

Are there prominent modern Orthodox theologians and writers who want to deport religious minorities from Orthodox countries?

You all hold onto things for a long time, geez. Not like everything I've ever said on the internet reflects my actual views.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »

LOL

Forgive my sins.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 12:23:42 AM »

LOL

I'm reminded of your latest post in the bronie thread.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: