OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:11:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy in movies  (Read 20170 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »

Not a movie, but in an episode of Seinfeld George converts to the Latvian Orthodox Church in order to date an Orthodox woman, while Kramer unwittingly seduces a nun. The Church in that episode is portrayed more as naïve than anything else.
I remember that episode.  Kramer accidently seduces the nun because he has, as the Latvian priest says, the Kavorka.  From the Urban online dictionary:

Kavorka-
(Pronounced Kah-vor-kah) The Kavorka is a word which originated from the Latvian Orthodox. It means "the lure of the animal". It is described as a curse, making someone irresistible to anyone of the opposite sex, even attractive to the same sex, as people will be naturally drawn to you. It's a heavy responsibility to have to be imposed with everyone's lusty wants, hence, it's consideration as a curse. People will want to be with you, be like you, be you.

"I got the Kavorka, Jerry!  I'm dangerous, I'm very Dangerous!"

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

The Kavorka is a word which originated from the Latvian Orthodox. It means "the lure of the animal".

Oh, I think it originated from the mind of Larry David. Now that's dangerous! laugh

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »

Oh, I think it originated from the mind of Larry David. Now that's dangerous! laugh
Probably so.  He's pretty funny.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMUfWZk3sHs
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:14:20 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »

Thanks for the information!  I imagine that Hollywood, as a general rule, is fairly ignorant about Orthodoxy.  Then again, they often seem fairly ignorant about Christianity of any type.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2008, 03:14:48 PM »

Thanks for the information!  I imagine that Hollywood, as a general rule, is fairly ignorant about Orthodoxy.  Then again, they often seem fairly ignorant about Christianity of any type.
Yeah, on the one hand, it's always kind of exciting to see us on the 'bigscreen', but on the other hand it's usually a big let down.

JAWS_Thomas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA-DOW

« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »

I didn't see the movie so I don't know what the context is, but in the trailer for the movie Hitman there is a brief scene where you see orthodox priests vested in phelonion and epitrahelion with their skufya's on.

"If you're an alien why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."

-Rose Tyler asking Doctor Who about his accent
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »

"Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors" (also known in the US as "The Wild Horses of Fire"), by Serhiy Paradzhanov, a wonderful Ukrainian film director (died in the early 1990's). The motion picture was released in 1964. The action takes place in a small, poor Ukrainian village lost in the Carpathian mountains, some time in the early or mid-1800s. There are some great scenes shot in the small, but very beautiful wooden village Orthodox church. You can see the clergy in liturgical vestments, censing, icons, lighting of the candles, a choir singing "Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us" etc. All in gorgeous colors, extremely artsy and simltaneously realistic.

Love never fails.
Sarah

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »

The beginning of a James Bond movie (I think Undecided) depicted Orthodoxy--can't remember which one or what was portrayed.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »

The beginning of a James Bond movie (I think Undecided) depicted Orthodoxy--can't remember which one or what was portrayed.

"Dracula" has a wedding scene, where Jonathan Harker and Mina get married.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:11:08 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »

There's also the Church scene in the beginning.

Church scenes are in the background of "Dr. Zhivago," and "Nicholas and Alexander" (now SS....)

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »

There's also the Church scene in the beginning.

Oh, I had forgotten. Years since I saw the film. I must watch it again, sometime.

edited... Oh yes, the flashback scene!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:14:37 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2008, 10:50:04 PM »

the butt of all Mina jokes...I joined this facebook group called "Hi! My name is Mina.  Yes, I'm a guy."  It comes to no surprise that all the male Mina's are Coptic.  But I remember in high school a substitute teacher thought I was bluffing when I said "Here" for the name "Mina."

Sorry for the sidetrack...carry on (maybe there should be a film about that too...hmmm)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:50:49 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »

^^ laugh

Credo.InDeum

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Rite Archdiocese of Perth

« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2008, 07:46:58 AM »

I remember seeing a film (on TV) about the rise of anti-christ where a miracle child is born in the east - one of the Greek islands - and received as a messianic figure. The child is baptised in an Orthodox Church and many members of the congregation are healed of their diseases but alas only temporarily. Needless to say the child turns out to be the anti-christ. However the Orthodox people did make the sign of the cross in the eastern fashion - head-heart, right-left.

I can't remember the film's title.

God does not simply rule by power ...His power is that of sharing in love and suffering ...God becomes small so that we can grasp his nature. - Benedict XVI
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »

Yeah, on the one hand, it's always kind of exciting to see us on the 'bigscreen', but on the other hand it's usually a big let down.

I'm of the opinion that it's best that Hollywood remain clueless about Orthodoxy, given the way they treat the Catholic church and other Christian traditions.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:15:18 AM by PrincessMommy » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2008, 07:03:12 AM »

One of the greatest Egyptian actors, Adel Imam (a Muslim) has been preparing a film entitled "Hassan and Marcos" which seems to be aimed at easing Muslim-Coptic tension. I can't make much of it, but it seems to be about an Imam and a Coptic priest who pretend to be Christian and Muslim, respectively, for the sake of protecting their families (against Muslim extremists who oppose the Imam on account of his opposition to extremism, and who oppose the Coptic priest on account of his being, well, a Coptic priest...I think)...or something like that Huh Here is a short trailer of the film with english subtitles...maybe someone else can make more of it than I can:

http://www.matigi.tv/action/viewvideo/210/Hasan_And_Marcos_Teaser/

I will speak to some friends and relatives about this and update this thread with a more accurate description of the film (which is yet to be released).

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »

I just found this online article from Watani which sheds some clearer light on the matter:

What happens when terrorist threats are sent to religious figures or clerics, forcing them to flee for their lives?

The subject is the topic of the film Hassan and Morqos—Hassan is a common Muslim name while Morqos is a common Coptic name—directed by Ramy Imam and written by Youssef Maaty, the shooting of which has just begun. The film brings together for the first time two masters of Egyptian cinema, international film star Omar Sharif and top comedian Adel Imam, joined by Libliba, Hanaa’ al-Shorbagui, Youssef Dawoud and a host of Egyptian actors and actresses. The story line attempts to tackle the issue of national unity and the war against terrorism through the meeting of a Christian Theology professor and a Muslim Imam, both of whom are fleeing, under disguise, from the face of terrorist threats.

The original story depicted a priest but, when the filmmakers asked for the opinion of Pope Shenouda III he said it was impossible for an ordained priest to relinquish his priestly attire under any circumstance, so the character was changed into a layman, a theology professor.

The move by the filmmakers to consult the pope aroused controversy, with some criticising it as sanctioning church censorship. But, Maati told Watani, it was unreasonable to make a film on a Christian religious figure, written by a Muslim, directed by a Muslim and depicted by Muslim actors and actresses, without consulting the Church on the credibility of the details involved.

At a recent press conference held in Cairo by the film producer Emad El-Din Adeeb, he said that this was the first time in more than 50 years of Egyptian cinema that such a big production is dedicated to fighting terrorism and calling for unity between Muslims and Christians. “This is what drove me to produce the film,” he said.

On his part Adel Imam said that Pope Shenouda III greatly welcomed the film, while Omar Sharif said the film denounces all perpetrators of sectarian strife, whether Muslim or Christian. He expressed enthusiasm at working with Imam for the first time.

Source: http://www.wataninet.com/article_en.asp?ArticleID=17818

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2008, 08:02:23 AM »

And `Omar Shareef, too.  Give us more information as you get; it looks interesting.  The trailer isn't too clear on who is really who.  The beginning seems to show that Shareef's and Imaam's original stations are imaam and priest respectively (they are alone and seem to be praying naturally according to their own traditions), and towards the end, we see that Shareef is the Christian Marqus, but I am not convinced that the opening scenes were portraying the two individuals in their disguises.  Perhaps one of the two scenarios takes place in the imagination since Shareef suggests افرض انك كنت مسيحي زيّي
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsZXcj3ihho

The Simpsons.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2013, 04:40:01 AM »

LOL nice.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »

Here are some very good Russian movies:

The Admiral (about Admiral Kolchack)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_(film)

Ostrov (The Island) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_(2006_film)

The Romanovs: An Imperial Family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Romanovs:_A_Crowned_Family

Tsar (2009) (probably R rated for extreme violence and cruelty)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_(film)

Andrei Rublev
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Rublev_(film)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:27:01 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »

I once watched Tsar with some really bad subtitles. Pretty good movie.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2013, 07:35:40 PM »

There was a documentary on Tchaikovsky (BBC IIRC) that had a few scenes in and Orthodox church.

Also the Expendables II had a scene that took place in an Orthodox church (although no priests or monks were present).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2013, 06:27:08 AM »

Babylon V:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uvmtHGwRSuQ#t=15s

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2013, 12:33:54 AM »

The show Friends featured a scene on one episode where a wedding was brewing, and the original minister was AWOL, so the replacement was a Greek Orthodox Priest with a big beard. They portrayed him more as a silly, jolly guy.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2013, 12:13:35 AM »

Then there is one of my favorite "Orthodox" movies: Hitman

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:26 AM »

In the five year engagement there is a scene where a couple chooses among different religious and nonreligious methods of being married...among their options were a Christian and an extreme Christian priest (dressed like an Orthodox priest)...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »

South Park:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ1loi8GQdI
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:03:22 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2013, 08:05:41 PM »

That's the kind of work the WCC should engage in. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags: movies 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: