OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 11:54:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy in movies  (Read 20280 times) Average Rating: 0
Carpatho-Rusyn
Just Orthodox

« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2005, 01:02:33 AM »

Two classics, in Russian (English subtitles) but worth every minute:

Andrei Rublev - uncut version of the Tarkovsky classic now available on DVD

The Captain's Daughter - Pushkin's classic story. I've only seen it on VHS.

Warm Regards,

Man, learn the sickness of thy soul, for without acknowlegdement of illness there is no healing....Christ alone can heal us, who sigh and pray to him with faith.
- St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
Carpatho-Rusyn
Just Orthodox

« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2005, 09:48:53 AM »

I'm surprised nobody yet has mentioned Tarkovsky's masterpiece Andrei Rublev - portrays monastic life extensively, which only makes sense considering it's a movie about a bunch of monks. I thought it was a very sympathetic portrayal as well - no wonder it was so heavily censored during Soviet times.

Happy to see someone else appreciates it! You have great taste! Wink

You can see how almost the entire film would give the soviets the jitters.

Man, learn the sickness of thy soul, for without acknowlegdement of illness there is no healing....Christ alone can heal us, who sigh and pray to him with faith.
- St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2005, 01:41:33 AM »

Yeah, almost any Tarkovsky film has some strand of Orthodoxy in it, as he was a devout Orthodox believer. I love him.

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2005, 12:30:13 AM »

Justinian,

Haven't seen this movie because as a general rule I avoid all the blatant anti-Serb propoganda flicks, but I'll make a point of checking it out in the next few weeks and I'll let you know if I know the song. I might be that I already own it, if so, I'll send you a copy. I have a pretty extensive collection of songs from the homeland. Wink

To add to the discussion, I've seen countless documentaries on Sundance with regard to the Orthodoxy. In fact, I have my Tivo set up to tape any programs appearing with certain "keywords". Orthodox is one of those.

Often I get documentaries on Orthodox Judaism and as a result am slowly becoming an expert on all things Jewish. LOL Grin

Have you rented it? If so please tell us what you thought of it, and if you know the song, it would be quite the blessing for you to send it to me. Thanks so much!

In XC,
Justinian
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:30:59 AM by Justinian » Logged

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2005, 06:07:04 AM »

Hey, James. Nice to have your more first hand input here. I discern you are in agreement with Professor E. Miller's relatively recent work on Vlad. I am amazed at how quickly her version has been propagating on the internet. A few years ago( before she published) what historical facts I could glean did not exactly deny what she wrote, but they did state that while he was from an Orthodox family he was not Orthodox himself. Further, he did not convert to Rc-ism but was finally baptized (and for the reasons Miller gives). No matter. This is not something I'll go to the wall over.
Historians apparently disagree and I'll accept your version if it's actually Romanian-based. I have no doubt that he was (and apparently still is) a local hero of sorts.

Hi,

I only just noticed this reply - sorry for the delay. Yes, Vlad Tepes is considered a hero in Romania, but a very secular one. He's more of a brutal but successful ruler than he is a wonderful man, though many look (through rose-tinted glasses I feel) to his period as a golden age for Wallachia. I'd actually say that Mircea the Old and Vlad Dracul are considered more as heroes in the conventional sense, because of their military campaigns against the Turks. Of course, the greatest hero in Romanian history is, and probably always will be, Stefan cel Mare (Stephen the Great) the Voievod of Moldova and cousin of Vlad Tepes. He is an Orthodox saint, was a great patron of the Church, successfully defended Moldova from Turks, Tartars, Hungarians and Poles for almost 50 years and was a brilliant statesman. There's someone I'd love to see a film on. I believe there is one (in Romanian) made during the communist era, but that is likely to gloss over his Orthodoxy, which would pretty much remove the most important aspect of his life. It really is a shame that it's Vlad and not Stefan that is best known in the west.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2006, 05:46:53 AM »

(I'm not trying to start too many threads, but I've been thinking about this)

A great many films we see have a Catholic/Protestant theme to them. I'm a great horror film buff, and it's always a Catholic priest that's featured fighting vampires, or performing some great task - or someone's gone to the Catholic church to take holy water and implements to fight off the vampire.

Maybe I'm just thinking aloud

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2006, 08:38:35 AM »

Off the top of my head, I'm trying to think of Orthodox ones...
My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which disappointed me around the baptism...
The Deer Hunter (the church scenes were filmed at St. Theodosios Cathedral, Cleveland, OH)

Does Dr. Zhivago have anything Orthodox in it?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2006, 11:02:42 AM »

Most movies are made in the West.

And by the time Bram Stoker wrote Dracula, the area he knew in Transylvania was peopled largely by Germans, not Romanians, so they wouldn't have been Orthodox, never mind that the real mediæval Dracula was a sometime Orthodox. (I think he was a born one who became Roman Catholic for some reason.)

There is an older thread on Orthodoxy in the movies.

Dr Zhivago has two Orthodox scenes: Zhivago's mother's burial towards the beginning and Lara going to Confession. The latter doesn't make the church look good IMO as the priest blames Lara for what happened when Komorovsky was forcing himself on her (and in one scene essentially rapes her). Bias alert: Pasternak criticised the government but was a moderate Communist himself.

Also, in the action pic The Peacemaker nine years ago, the first scene is a Serbian Orthodox service. (The film doesn't make Serbs look very good.)

As for the Orthodox on the small screen, in the States they show up unflatteringly (and wildly inaccurately) as props in ethnic gags, from 'Taxi' to 'Seinfeld' and 'Friends'. At least the priest on 'Friends' was dressed somewhat correctly, but he was wearing a Russian-style chasuble, the Orthodox don't do weddings in hotels and the service doesn't start with 'Dearly beloved...' (And how many Greek hieromonks do you see as parish priests in America?) Never saw them on TV in the UK.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:14:10 AM by The young fogey » Logged

Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2006, 12:09:38 PM »

Theres a really nice film I've got called "The Tale of a Nightingale"- Kori  (young girl) Maria the nun. It's surprisingly in english with greek subtitles!!! The actors are all or mostly greek. It features a beautiful young lady playing the part of St. Maria (apparently) a disciple of St. Patro Kosmas of Aitolos. The costuming is authentically greek/turkish (for the pasha) and it is set in a beautiful monastery in Greece/Cyprus.

It's called tale of nightingale because a nightingale is featured in the movie chirping away every time Maria has a calling from God...

It features also byzantine chant in english during Holy Week (Allelouia- Behold the Bridegroom Comes...) and the 'nuns' are chanting it- quite rare unless you've got Vassilis Hadjinicoloau's english byzantine holy week cd.

However the film quality is really bad as it is a very old movie. I've been searching everywhere for this film in a good quality but have had no luck.

Ironially, this is an EO (Greek national) saint from the 1700's who sacrficied her eyes for her purity...and I bought this VHS @ a Coptic church's bookstore. They also had some other EO greek/russian saints lives as well as even some catholic ones. It seems the bookstore added on arabic subtitles on top of the greek subtitles so neither the greek nor arabic subtitles are completely comprehensible.

I'd love to get my hands on a good quality version of this film.

Speaking of movies, I want to become a movie director and of course make Orthodox movies, movies about Constantinople (Hellenism)/Romiosyni/ Serbs/Russians/ without all the western bias and political agenda.

Then again I'd like to one day be a priest but I've never heard of a priest who does films Smiley
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2006, 12:27:15 PM »

Speaking of movies, I want to become a movie director and of course make Orthodox movies, movies about Constantinople (Hellenism)/Romiosyni/ Serbs/Russians/ without all the western bias and political agenda.

Then again I'd like to one day be a priest but I've never heard of a priest who does films Smiley

I had a screenplay in progress which I was going to "pitch" to various Hollywood directors for a movie based on Kosovo and the Battle of Kosovo 1389.  It was to be a cross between Braveheart and the Passion of the Christ!  Wink

If you ever decide to make movies... consider the Battle of Kosovo as a great Orthodox story!

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2006, 01:26:58 PM »

Makes me wonder why HBO or someone has not made a movie of the fall of Constantinople?  The time is right, the story is more action than "Kingdom of Heaven."  And how about HBO making a series called "Byzantium" along the lines of their "Rome."
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2006, 01:29:29 PM »

Makes me wonder why HBO or someone has not made a movie of the fall of Constantinople?  The time is right, the story is more action than "Kingdom of Heaven."  And how about HBO making a series called "Byzantium" along the lines of their "Rome."

I had mentioned something like this on another message board; specifically, having a movie made about Justinian. The flaw with this plan, at least from our perspective, was shown immediately by desires expressed to have many shots of Theodora in "compromising positions". The lack of Hollywood movies about our saints might be a good thing.
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2006, 02:04:29 PM »

I had mentioned something like this on another message board; specifically, having a movie made about Justinian. The flaw with this plan, at least from our perspective, was shown immediately by desires expressed to have many shots of Theodora in "compromising positions". The lack of Hollywood movies about our saints might be a good thing.

As has been said elsewhere, there is longstanding anti-Byzantine bias as shown in Gibbon for example, so that history is largely ignored and forgotten in the West.

A few Theodora shots may be both necessary to tell your story and, honestly, for sales but point taken. I understand that was a problem with the old Hollywood biblical pictures like Samson and Delilah: how to balance 'sex sells' titillation with enough righteous indignation...

The complete life story of St Mary of Egypt would probably be unfilmable hardcore.

Not a problem with military historical epics (after Henry V or Braveheart) like the Kosovo story.

Why violence on screen seems less of an occasion of sin (which I suspect as well) than sex could be a thread of its own.

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2006, 02:14:07 PM »

http://www.kosovo.com/kosbitka.html

The Battle of Kosovo

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2006, 02:26:18 PM »

"I'm not trying to start too many threads, but I've been thinking about this"

Au contraire; this is a message board where one hopes to find lots of lively discussion. You are helping us to live this goal Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2006, 02:55:32 PM »

Just to add to the TV listings, I'm sure there was Orthodox or pseudo-Orthodox scenes on Perfect Strangers (I have one in my mind, but don't remember the context) and Full House.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2006, 03:44:48 PM »

Why violence on screen seems less of an occasion of sin (which I suspect as well) than sex could be a thread of its own.

Sex on screen can arouse the passions in a way that violence usually doesn't. A guy watching somebody get killed onscreen isn't usually going to be inflamed with bloodlust, but watching a woman having sex will quite likely induce lustful feelings in him.
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2006, 04:00:02 PM »

I wondered if 'Perfect Strangers' ever did anything regarding Balki's* religion and if so was it at least respectful if not accurate? I've no idea.

(Would the isle of Mypos be under the Patriarch of Constantinople or the Archbishop of Athens? Or did the whole island go Old Calendarist? If so which group? Or maybe, just maybe, they were among the converts and are part of, gasp, Greece's small Roman Catholic or really tiny Byzantine Catholic minority. I need to get a life.  Smiley )

Regarding 'Full House' (never watched it), was John Stamos' character Greek like the actor probably is?

Sex on screen can arouse the passions in a way that violence usually doesn't. A guy watching somebody get killed onscreen isn't usually going to be inflamed with bloodlust, but watching a woman having sex will quite likely induce lustful feelings in him.

True.

*Balkan; OK, I get it.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2006, 04:37:28 PM »

Yes, Jesse Cotsopoulos (Stamos) was Greek, and I think they had a supposedly Greek (and maybe Orthodox) wedding.  I can't remember the details.

---------------------
suzannes

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2006, 06:40:33 PM »

The Greta Garbo version of Anna Karennina has a pretty accurate looking Orthodox wedding (Levin and Kitty), and Anna's son has an icon in his room, and wears a baptismal cross.  Interesting that 1930's Hollywood managed to get these things right.

A slightly different take on this subject: NOT that I'm suggesting anyone go rent this movie during Lent, but if sometime you want to check out a truely wacko, crazy film, try John Boorman's Excorcist II, where Richard Burton (as a Catholic priest), goes to a Coptic monastery in Ethiopia is quite the viewing experience!  Now, I'm *very* dubious that anything show is authenticly Coptic, but it's so weird that I've remembered it for years.  If you want a "sooooooo bad it's good" movie to watch with your friends, this is it.  (I'm not even going to get started on the tap-dancing Linda Blair and James Earl Jones as the voice of a giant locust...)

There was an Orthodox character on NYPD Blue, but I never got into watching that show.  
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2006, 06:51:47 PM »

Home Alone. The main theme isn't Orthodox, but right before eating the mac and cheese, he crossed himself EO style  Smiley

Also, Hunting for Red October and K-19 The Widowmaker have some Orthodox things.

I think i have some others, I can't remember, but I will post if I do.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 06:54:09 PM by Meekle » Logged
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2006, 09:30:55 PM »

The Russian Movie Andre Rublev was full of Orthodoxy, beautiful scenes and explained  Rublev's statement that he would not paint the Judgement because of its vision of hell---he said the average Russian of his time had only to step from the heaven of the church to the hell outside its door. The movie shows this vividly.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 12:25:36 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2006, 09:53:30 PM »

There was an Orthodox character on 'NYPD Blue', but I never got into watching that show.

I didn't watch the show but remember the lovely Sharon Lawrence and that her character (who was married to Dennis Franz's Sipowicz) had a Greek name.

On 'St Elsewhere' there was a 'big fat Greek wedding'-like story in which Dr Ehrlich (Ed Begley Jnr) married an ethnic Greek but didn't convert (I don't think that issue ever came up). IIRC the church and priest were accurately depicted for a change.

K-19 did indeed have a subtle Orthodox detail in it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:54:15 PM by The young fogey » Logged

QuoVadis

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2006, 10:29:18 PM »

Theres a really nice film I've got called "The Tale of a Nightingale"- Kori  (young girl) Maria the nun. It's surprisingly in english with greek subtitles!!! The actors are all or mostly greek. It features a beautiful young lady playing the part of St. Maria (apparently) a disciple of St. Patro Kosmas of Aitolos. The costuming is authentically greek/turkish (for the pasha) and it is set in a beautiful monastery in Greece/Cyprus.

It's called tale of nightingale because a nightingale is featured in the movie chirping away every time Maria has a calling from God...

This sounds like a beautiful movie that I'd love to see.  Where did you buy the video from?

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2006, 12:14:48 AM »

I had a screenplay in progress which I was going to "pitch" to various Hollywood directors for a movie based on Kosovo and the Battle of Kosovo 1389.  It was to be a cross between Braveheart and the Passion of the Christ!  Wink

If you ever decide to make movies... consider the Battle of Kosovo as a great Orthodox story!
I'd like to see these stories be told. There's a film called "Ararat" which deals with the massacres of Armenians, I've got it on DVD, but I've only seen it half the way through so far. It's not really religious, though they touch upon the issue that the Armenians are Christian, but they're aiming for a difference on race

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2006, 12:15:37 AM »

Home Alone. The main theme isn't Orthodox, but right before eating the mac and cheese, he crossed himself EO style
That's well spotted!

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2006, 12:49:44 AM »

Quo Vadis, as I've stated in my previous post on this thread, a Coptic bookstore nearby sells some EO movies. If I knew the source I would buy a good quality version of it.

In the original Exorcist, the priest doing the exorcising is Greek Catholic although he is neither Melkite nor Arab. I found that strange. He did not seem particularly greek to me. He seemed rather very Anglo-Saxon or French. The only greek I see is the demon (in the form of his mother)  crying for him "Dimmi Dimmi"- which if it was real his mother would've probably crucified him for leaving Orthodoxy- not thatr I have an "axe to grind" with Catholicism particularly other than the usual stuff.

Strangely enough, in the movie Ararat, they show an Armenian village priest walking about, and feature some religious choral liturgical music in the background, especially when the mother is hugging her son telling him never to forget his identity and faith- that was my favourite part of the movie. Also, the guy who plays the main character as an adult (with the curly hair looking for all the answers) is really greek and not armenian. This movie doesn't show enough of the people's faith, more of their ethnciity- there's even a sex scene between the main character and his girlfriend. No worries montalban- its very quick and undetailed.

A documentary on a history channel couple weeks ago showed the regin of Ivan the Terrible and portrayed Russian Orthodoxy like this wacko eastern christian-bhuddist mysticism.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2006, 01:18:56 AM »

The Greta Garbo version of Anna Karennina has a pretty accurate looking Orthodox wedding (Levin and Kitty), and Anna's son has an icon in his room, and wears a baptismal cross.  Interesting that 1930's Hollywood managed to get these things right.

A slightly different take on this subject: NOT that I'm suggesting anyone go rent this movie during Lent, but if sometime you want to check out a truely wacko, crazy film, try John Boorman's Excorcist II, where Richard Burton (as a Catholic priest), goes to a Coptic monastery in Ethiopia is quite the viewing experience!  Now, I'm *very* dubious that anything show is authenticly Coptic, but it's so weird that I've remembered it for years.  If you want a "sooooooo bad it's good" movie to watch with your friends, this is it.  (I'm not even going to get started on the tap-dancing Linda Blair and James Earl Jones as the voice of a giant locust...)

There was an Orthodox character on NYPD Blue, but I never got into watching that show. ÂÂ

On NYPD Blue there was a female ADA named Sylvia, who was Greek Orthodox.  Her & Sipowitz got married in a Greek Church.  They had a son named Theo.  Later on she was killed I think in a shootout in a courthouse.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2006, 01:56:00 AM »

(I'm not trying to start too many threads, but I've been thinking about this)

A great many films we see have a Catholic/Protestant theme to them. I'm a great horror film buff, and it's always a Catholic priest that's featured fighting vampires, or performing some great task - or someone's gone to the Catholic church to take holy water and implements to fight off the vampire.

Maybe I'm just thinking aloud

Which brings me to something else I have been wondering about.  Why is it that whenever a news program discusses something about Christianity you never see an Orthodox Priest or Heirarch interviewed or involved in the discussion?  Are we not invited to speak our mind or is it that we avoid the press.  As a former member of the press in NYC I can understand reluctance to get involved, but if we want to grow as a faith in the US we need to get out more.  After the September 11th tragedy I was proud as an Orthodox Christian to see Archbishop Demetrios at Ground Zero and at the memorial services.  I also understand that GOARCH has some connection with the Hallmark channel.  Why can't we (all Orthodox) get more air time??  While flipping the channels I see some of the great programming on TBN, Trinity Broadcasting Network.  Why can't we have a network??  If all the jurisdictions would be able to pool our talent and resources I think it can be done.  I await your comments.

Psalti Boy
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 01:57:12 AM by Psalti Boy » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2006, 02:17:06 AM »

I just added "The Mission" to my NetFlix queue on a suggestion from a fellow Orthodox.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2006, 02:46:26 AM »

A documentary on a history channel couple weeks ago showed the regin of Ivan the Terrible and portrayed Russian Orthodoxy like this wacko eastern christian-bhuddist mysticism.

You mean that's not right?Huh!!!!  Oh oh.....

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2006, 02:47:36 AM »

I just added "The Mission" to my NetFlix queue on a suggestion from a fellow Orthodox.

IMHO, well worth watching.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2006, 02:58:20 AM »

Dr Zhivago has two Orthodox scenes: Zhivago's mother's burial towards the beginning and Lara going to Confession. The latter doesn't make the church look good IMO as the priest blames Lara for what happened when Komorovsky was forcing himself on her (and in one scene essentially rapes her). Bias alert: Pasternak criticised the government but was a moderate Communist himself.

Oh yes, but it's such a wonderful, heartbreaking journey into the Russian soul and the tragedy of (particularly post-revolutionary) Russian life...such a sad film but I loved it so much.  

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2006, 02:59:35 AM »

The Russian Movie Andre Rublev was full of Orthodoxy, beautiful scenes and explained  Rublev's statement that he would not paint the Judgement because of its vision of hell---he said the average Russian of his time had only to step from the heaven of the church to the hell outside its door. The movie shows this vividly.

An astonishing film.

Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2006, 03:37:40 AM »

And by the time Bram Stoker wrote Dracula, the area he knew in Transylvania was peopled largely by Germans, not Romanians, so they wouldn't have been Orthodox, never mind that the real mediæval Dracula was a sometime Orthodox. (I think he was a born one who became Roman Catholic for some reason.)

As I recall, Vlad converted to Catholicism after they told him it was ok to impale people, as long as the victims were enemies of Rome.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2006, 05:20:33 AM »

In the modern (two part if I remember correctly) television drama of Dr. Zhivago there was a mostly authentic looking Orthodox wedding scene as well as a funeral. I can recall being rather puzzled as to why the groom was standing on the left rather than the right but I don't know enough about Russian tradition to know if this is wrong there as it is in Romania. (I once got dressed down by a babusca for standing on the wrong side of the church in Romania and I guess that pre-communist Russian churches would have been just as traditional about such things as modern Romanian village churches are).

The young fogey,

You are right that Vlad Tepes was born Orthodox and later converted to Roman Catholicism. This was a political move in an attempt to get western help against the Turks. The help never came and he certainly lapsed from Roman Catholicism (he actually nailed hats to the heads of Ppapal representatives at one point!) I believe that he actually died reconciled to the Orthodox Church and he is apparently buried in a Wallachian (Tara Romaneasca) monastery.

You are, however, quite wrong about the 19th century ethnic makeup of Transylvania. The majority of peasants were always Romanian and the majority of aristocrats Hungarian. There were large numbers of Germans but they were by no means the majority and were concentrated in the seven Saxon border towns (such as Brasov) from which the German name for Transylvania (Siebenburgen) derives. In any case, whilst Vlad Tepes, like his cousin Stefan cel Mare, was raised in Transylvania (both were close to the family of Iancu de Hunedoara) after usurpations in their own principalities, Vlad was not Transylvanian but from Tara Romaneasca, which is the province of which he was Voievod.

SouthSerb,

I've always thought that a great topic for a film (and in some ways similar to your Battle of Kosovo idea) would be the rise of St. Stefan cel Mare and his defence of Moldova against Turkish, Hungarian and Tartar invasions. I actually have started, but I can't see myself finishing it this side of retirement, a historical novel on the subject in which I hope to emphasise the religious aspects as well as the political/military. For that reason I doubt it will ever get a publisher in the west, but who knows?

James
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 05:21:06 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2006, 12:24:09 PM »

In the first season of the TV show 24 the hostiles are Serb gangsters also accused of crimes in BiH and Kosovo - Orthodoxy at its finest.  
The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2008, 06:19:16 AM »

I starting watching the movie Ostrov again last night.  It is a very excellent movie, and I highly recommend it.  It got me thinking about the portrayal of Orthodoxy in film.  Does anyone know of any other films where Orthodoxy is portrayed, whether positively or negatively?  Two I can think of are The Fiddler on the Roof (the mother goes inside the Orthodox church building and speaks with the priest about her daughter) and My Big Fat Greek Wedding (which contains both a baptism and a wedding inside an Orthodox church).  Fiddler on the Roof portrayed Orthodoxy as something very strange and foreign, while My Big Fat Greek Wedding portrayed it as more of a Greek cultural thing.  Does anyone have anything to add?
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2008, 08:08:54 AM »

The movie Andrey Rublev is one that comes to mind.  The Deer Hunter has an Orthodox wedding in it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:09:43 AM by PrincessMommy » Logged
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2008, 09:38:56 AM »

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (which contains both a baptism and a wedding inside an Orthodox church).

Actually, the outdoor church shots are of the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church in Toronto, Ontario, Canada...
but the indoor church shots are of St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I'm glad such secular activities didn't occur in an actual Orthodox parish.

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »

Not a movie, but in an episode of Seinfeld George converts to the Latvian Orthodox Church in order to date an Orthodox woman, while Kramer unwittingly seduces a nun. The Church in that episode is portrayed more as naïve than anything else.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2008, 09:52:16 AM »

Does anyone have anything to add?

I know there's more movies, but I can't remember at the moment.  As far as TV series... I remember an episode of Friends where they're all in Las Vegas and need a minister to perform a wedding.  They can't find one, but then an old "Orthodox priest" (i.e. random actor) comes scurrying by and they ask him to do the service.  He says he can't unless they're Orthodox.  Rachel responds with something like: "Oh, yeah, they're Greek... um, this is Mr. Acidophilus."  Roll Eyes

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »

The Church in that episode is portrayed more as naïve than anything else.

Sounds like the "priest" in Friends.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »

There's a classic Russian film "Ivan the Terrible", from the 1930s, made during Stalin's time. It's a great film for anyone learning Russian to watch, because the actors delivered their lines so ponderously.  Anyway, there are Church scenes which I can't remember specifically because it was some time ago that I saw the film.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:08:14 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »

What a timely topic as I was just going to post on something similar after watching a movie this week that had an Armenian Orthodox wedding ceremony in it.  Has anyone seen Sideways with Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church?  Definitely a grown-up movie.  If you haven't seen it, it's a buddy road movie through the California wine country that takes place the week before one of the character's marriage to an Armenian fiancee.  There's plenty of debauchery to go around, particularly one scene.  In the end, there's a very nice wedding scene at a beautiful church somewhere in California.  The depiction of the marriage was respectful, and was performed by an Armenian priest (I assume the priest of that church).   Which brings me to my question.  Considering the subject matter, would you say the priests are condoning the behavior by participation in the film or does the priest have any idea what they are agreeing to?  I'm sure after the priest saw this movie, he might have been thinking "Oh no, what is my Bishop going to say!"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:46:34 AM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Tags: movies 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: