OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:20:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy in movies  (Read 19805 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: December 15, 2004, 08:07:32 AM »

These are the movies I can think of that have at least a brief depiction of Orthodoxy:

The Deer Hunter

Nicholas and Alexandra

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Exorcist II: the Heretic

Exodus

Anybody think of any others?
 Cool

Proverbs 22:7
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 08:37:43 AM »

I could list a whole bunch of Greek movies Wink
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 09:29:32 AM »

These are the movies I can think of that have at least a brief depiction of Orthodoxy:

The Deer Hunter

Nicholas and Alexandra

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Exorcist II: the Heretic

Exodus

Anybody think of any others?
 Cool

I was under the imprssion that the Exorcist movies used an Eastern Catholic venue, not Orthodox (and I remember being angry that Greek was being used by these EC's  - as if there are THAT many Greek-speaking ECs.)

I also remember being insulted by the screen's version of Bram Stoker's Dracula - implying Vlad Drakul was Orthodox by way of a couple early and late scenes in the flick. Iin fact he was not Orthodox.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 10:56:26 AM »

In the movie Terminal Man - I noticed that the Tom Hanks character crosses himself Orthodox style before he goes to sleep in the airport the first night.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 11:02:30 AM »

Tom Hanks is a Greek Orthodox convert.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 11:05:20 AM »

Delta Force, starring Chuck Norris.  Although, there are all sorts of things wrong with the movie's depiction of Greek Orthodoxy. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 11:12:44 AM »

Demetri

And? What does that have to do with a character he is playing in a movie?
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 11:29:12 AM »

One of the James Bond movies has a scene inside a church in I think St. Petersburg, but I watched it a long time ago so don't rightly recall. 
I can list lots & lots of movies... Russian movies that is.  :-D
Also, the Seinfeld episode where George was going to convert to Latvian Orthodoxy was da bomb.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 11:48:23 AM »

Dont' know. You'll have to ask him. Then again...

maybe TomH's conversion has set with him better than other Toms'  Wink

PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 12:07:23 PM »

Dracula- The really bad one starring Winona Ryder and Keanu "DUDE!" Reaves. - There is a wedding scene in a chapel.

Although not a movie but, the show Six Foot Under had a scene in which Nick leads the Fisher family in prayer before dinner. The portryal was annoying, it played into the "look at the stupid ethnic" stereotype.

Again not a movie but TV- ER Dr. Luka Kovach says the lords prayer in Serbian and crosses himself in the orthodox style.
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 12:15:48 PM »

ahh goran visnjic  Grin

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 12:17:47 PM »

Dracula- The really bad one starring Winona Ryder and Keanu "DUDE!" Reaves. - There is a wedding scene in a chapel.

Although not a movie but, the show Six Foot Under had a scene in which Nick leads the Fisher family in prayer before dinner. The portryal was annoying, it played into the "look at the stupid ethnic" stereotype.

Again not a movie but TV- ER Dr. Luka Kovach says the lords prayer in Serbian and crosses himself in the orthodox style.

I thought Luka was Croatian.

At least that's what I remember him saying in an episode a few seasons ago.

Lemko Rusyn

Faith: Православно-католицька віра нашых вітців
Jurisdiction: Русиньска ґрекокатолицька церьков свого права

Пресвятая Богородице Повчанская, спаси нас!

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 12:18:46 PM »

>>>Again not a movie but TV- ER Dr. Luka Kovach says the lords prayer in Serbian and crosses himself in the orthodox style.

Both Goran Visnjic and his character Luka Kovac are Croatian.  He prayed in Croatian as well (not that it's that much different than Serbian).
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 12:19:22 PM »

He's got a set of rosary beads in one of the episodes.

Lemko Rusyn

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 12:22:12 PM »

>>Exorcist II: the Heretic
>>>I was under the imprssion that the Exorcist movies used an Eastern Catholic venue, not Orthodox (and I remember being angry that Greek was being used by these EC's  - as if there are THAT many Greek-speaking ECs.)

Huh?
The only Eastern Christianity depicted in EII:TH was in Ethiopia, and they certainly were not Byzantines.  What made you think they were Uniates, and Greek-speaking, at that?  (Maybe they were Ge'ez Uniates, but how would you know?)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 12:30:11 PM »

>>Exorcist II: the Heretic
>>>I was under the imprssion that the Exorcist movies used an Eastern Catholic venue, not Orthodox (and I remember being angry that Greek was being used by these EC's - as if there are THAT many Greek-speaking ECs.)

Huh?
The only Eastern Christianity depicted in EII:TH was in Ethiopia, and they certainly were not Byzantines. What made you think they were Uniates, and Greek-speaking, at that? (Maybe they were Ge'ez Uniates, but how would you know?)

No, LR, I don't think this of EII. My comment (unclear) was referring to the first movie. After seeing that one, once, I refused to view any sequels.

Demetri

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 12:37:46 PM »

The portryal was annoying, it played into the "look at the stupid ethnic" stereotype.

I disagree.  If anything, I think it portrayed the Fishers in a poor light, particularly afterwards when Claire and whatshisface were laughing about Nikolai in Claire's bedroom.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 12:49:40 PM »

One of the James Bond movies has a scene inside a church in I think St. Petersburg, but I watched it a long time ago so don't rightly recall.
For your eyes only made use of the monasteries on Meteora, but only the outside scenes IIRC. The inside scenes were not of anything I am familiar with there.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 12:52:55 PM »

There is a wonderful movie that came out in 1993 called 'My Life' with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman.

Michael keaton plays the son of Ukrainian immigrants who was kind of ashamed of his background. His father was a hard working junk collector who was gone most of the day. Because of this, neither Michael or his brother were close to the father. Also, because his parents spoke with an accent Michael was always embarrased by them

Anyhow, when he grows up he changes his name to Bob Jones, gets married to Nicole Kidman, and makes it big in Hollywood. Around the same time he receives an invitation to his brothers wedding he finds out he has kidney cancer. His wife convinces to go back home for the wedding.

There is a scene of the outside of the church while a magnificant choir is singing selections from the Orthodox wedding service in English! There is also a scene in the inside of the church where they show the crowning ceremony and the walk around the Tetrapod. Another scene at the wedding reception where Michael and his brother do quite a traditional Ukrainian folk dance!

For those who have not seen it, rent it! Especially those who are 1st or 2nd generation Slavic Americans! It is an excellent movie. Only thing is....make sure you have a box of kleenex handy. I watched it with my neighbor who is a retired Philly Irish cop and he cried like a baby!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 12:56:31 PM »

[I was under the imprssion that the Exorcist movies used an Eastern Catholic venue, not Orthodox (and I remember being angry that Greek was being used by these EC's - as if there are THAT many Greek-speaking ECs.)]

Yes, in the first movie the young Fr James was depicted as being the son of Greek immigrants.  I was angry too.

Orthodoc

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 12:58:40 PM »

Two classic additions to the list: Battleship Potemkin and Dr Zhivago. Neither makes the church look good: the priest is one of the villains in the former and at best useless in the latter. Sergei Eisenstein was making Soviet propaganda and did it very well and Boris Pasternak was a mild Communist himself.

While self-deprecating humour is a good thing, I think the depictions on TV in 'Taxi' and 'Seinfeld' are offensive - they give a lot of misinformation to outsiders about the Orthodox!

The depiction in Greek Wedding isn't flattering but probably true in a lot of cases - indifferent person joins to please wife and/or in-laws.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 01:02:32 PM »

Right you are Serge!
How could I forget my favorite movie of all time - Dr. Zhivago? I wasn't offended by the Church's depiction however.

Demetri

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 01:18:48 PM »

It means he comes with a built-in parity error.

Actually, I thought the premise of the movie was that Hanks's character came from an ethinically ORthodox country.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 01:21:07 PM »

While I'm at it, I'll remark that while one sees Anglicans by default in a jillion movies, actual positive depictions of Anglican clerics are next to nonexistent. Negative ones, unfortunately, are not.
penelope
If I love the sea and all that is sealike, and love it most when it angrily contradicts me...

OC.net

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 01:40:06 PM »

Demetri
Really?  That's cool; I like Tom Hanks Smiley.  Do you know if there's anyplace on the internet that talks about this?

Let me love myself only if I love thee and do all things for thy sake.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 01:52:20 PM »

How could I forget my favorite movie of all time - Dr. Zhivago? I wasn't offended by the Church's depiction however.

The burial scene towards the beginning is fine but I was thinking of the only other scene AFAIK where the Church appears — Rod Steiger’s been forcing himself on Julie Christie and when she goes to Confession the priest seems to blame her! Foul!

It means he comes with a built-in parity error.

Right — one can hold him to a higher standard because he knows better than to misrepresent what's being portrayed.

Actually, I thought the premise of the movie was that Hanks's character came from an ethnically Orthodox country.

I haven't seen The Terminal but I understand that's the case. He's a Russian from an ex-Soviet country that literally disappears overnight, which is why he has to live in the airport — he can't go home and he isn't allowed into the US proper.

While I'm at it, I'll remark that while one sees Anglicans by default in a jillion movies, actual positive depictions of Anglican clerics are next to nonexistent. Negative ones, unfortunately, are not.

Like with many inaccurate depictions of RC priests or of many other ministers I remember innocuous and not really offensive make-believe Anglican bishops and priests, like the dear vicar in the American WWII propaganda film Mrs Miniver (depicting a strangely accented England I didn't recognize), David Niven's Episcopal bishop in the shockingly (to us) named The Bishop's Wife (where angel Cary Grant falls in love with the wife played by Loretta Young and bows out like the gentleman he was). Richard Burton played an Episcopal priest who freaks out and turns against God in some black-and-white movie.

Then there's the box: amazingly considering my beliefs I thought Dawn French's vicar Geraldine was cute in the OK but dumb 'The Vicar of Dibley' (early-series David Horton the village squire ruled though) and there was the sympathetic everyman vicar who had to put up with Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced 'bou-quet'!) in 'Keeping Up Appearances'.

I think mainline Christian ministers are often depicted as nice but ineffectual/irrelevant, like Rene Auberjonois' original Fr Mulcahy in the movie M*A*S*H. Fundygelical ones are one-note villains. Orthodox priests are seldom-seen props in ethnic-joke plots. ISTM rabbis get treated a little better than mainline Christians and are wise or witty.

That's cool; I like Tom Hanks. Do you know if there's anyplace on the internet that talks about this?

Yes — I haven't got the URL but Google and ye shall find a page with an interview with him about his religious history.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 02:51:41 PM by Serge » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 01:57:41 PM »

Really? That's cool; I like Tom Hanks Smiley. Do you know if there's anyplace on the internet that talks about this?

Yeah, type in Tom Hanks Greek Orthodox and there are a few pages.  But it seems to have been a "for the wife" conversion (but then I am judging his heart).

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 02:49:42 PM »

Yeah, type in Tom Hanks Greek Orthodox and there are a few pages. But it seems to have been a "for the wife" conversion (but then I am judging his heart).

Anastasios

I am not so certain about his motivation. I haven't read on it on the internet but recall his visit to either David Letterman's or Jay Leno's show in which he stated he converted after marriage. In perhaps atypical, for Hollywood, fashion he did not seem disposed to a lot of discussion about it. Sort of like Anthony Quinn's conversion, perhaps.

Demetri

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 02:53:46 PM »

Re: Dr. Zhivago
"Rod Steiger’s been forcing himself on Julie Christie and when she goes to Confession the priest seems to blame her! Foul!"

Maybe Serge. But I did like the priest's admonishment: "Remember, the flesh is not weak, it is strong. Only the Sacrament of Marriage can contain it" (or words to that effect). Right on the money.

Demetri

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 03:13:24 PM »

ahh goran visnjic Grin

He's a hottie.  :-D

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2004, 03:20:45 PM »

"ISTM rabbis get treated a little better than mainline Christians and are wise or witty."

Unless of course, your a rabbi on Seinfeld.  :-)

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2004, 04:55:46 PM »

For your eyes only made use of the monasteries on Meteora, but only the outside scenes IIRC. The inside scenes were not of anything I am familiar with there.

Bond movies:

For You Eyes Only - What Prodromos said, but also a scene where Q dresses up as a priest (with fake beard and the stole) and Bond enters a "confessional".  This happens during a wedding reception outside.

Goldeneye - Scene inside a church in St. Petersburg

The World is Not Enough - Scene where Elektra, the later to be revealed evil girl who is a rich heiress, goes into a cave church with some guy who looks like an Orthodox Bishop.  She puts on a veil, talks in some foreign language that probably sounds like Russian, and then comes out and makes a decree that the oil pipeline will go around the cave church and it will be saved.  This supposedly happens in Azerbaijan.

There may be others.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2004, 05:45:52 PM »

IC XC NIKA
In a film called Deception, with Liam Neeson, there is a Coptic Orthodox priest censering the altar.
In that new film Daredevil (not very good), there is a small funeral with a Greek Orthodox priest, and deacons.
In the Omega Code, there is I think a Greek Orthodox bishop that hooks up with the Anti-Christ, and later turns him (Michael York) down.
Captain Corelli's Mandolin, has a Greek Orthodox priest.
With all love and peace
copticorthodoxboy
Lemko Rusyn

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2004, 06:28:10 PM »

>>>[I was under the imprssion that the Exorcist movies used an Eastern Catholic venue, not Orthodox (and I remember being angry that Greek was being used by these EC's - as if there are THAT many Greek-speaking ECs.)]

>>Yes, in the first movie the young Fr James was depicted as being the son of Greek immigrants.  I was angry too.

Do you mean Father Damien Karras?  It was apparent that his mother was a Greek immigrant (she was listening to a Greek-American radio broadcast in one scene), but it was not evident that Damien (a Jesuit, of course) was anything but a RC priest (aka a Latin Rite Uniate papal Catholic, I suppose).

What makes you angry about this?  Because if he was Greek he wasn't Orthodox?  Isn't that phyletism?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 06:29:04 PM by Lemko Rusyn » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2004, 07:04:52 PM »

Lemko Rusyn,

Wouldn't you be mad if a Rusyn turned Baptist?

Anastasios

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2004, 07:27:09 PM »

I'm surprised nobody yet has mentioned Tarkovsky's masterpiece Andrei Rublev - portrays monastic life extensively, which only makes sense considering it's a movie about a bunch of monks. I thought it was a very sympathetic portrayal as well - no wonder it was so heavily censored during Soviet times.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2004, 07:41:51 PM »

I'll second Captain Corelli's Mandolin, excellent movie.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2004, 08:02:23 PM »

How could nobody have mentioned "Horror Express", with Telly Savalas?

It's about how "An English anthropologist has discovered a frozen monster in the frozen wastes of Manchuria which he believes may be the Missing Link. He brings the creature back to Europe aboard a trans-Siberian express, but during the trip the monster thaws out and starts to butcher the passengers one by one."

Taken from: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068713/plotsummary

It had an Orthodox Monk (or was it a priest?) who although he resisted this evil creature's power (which turned out to be the devil), eventually he decided to join the dark side and referred to this creature as his "master" and did his bidding.

Not a very shining example to be sure.

In Christ,
Aaron
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2004, 08:56:37 PM »

How could nobody have mentioned "Horror Express", with Telly Savalas?

It's about how "An English anthropologist has discovered a frozen monster in the frozen wastes of Manchuria which he believes may be the Missing Link. He brings the creature back to Europe aboard a trans-Siberian express, but during the trip the monster thaws out and starts to butcher the passengers one by one."

Sounds quite interesting. I might just have to rent it & kick back with some popcorn & soda pop... Cool

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Dimitrius

Orthodoxy is the way

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2004, 09:37:26 PM »

Also, how could everyone forget Zorba the Greek?

As for:

Demetri
Really? That's cool; I like Tom Hanks . Do you know if there's anyplace on the internet that talks about this?

Tom Hanks prays at the Greek Orthodox Church of Saint Sophia in Los Angeles located at:

1324 South Normandie Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90006

Here is the link to the Church’s website.

http://www.stsophia.org/

My brother also prays at the Church and has seen Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson (whose real name is Margarita Ibrahimov) attending there a number of times with their children. After the Liturgy, Tom and his family usually go have lunch at a Greek bakery shop that is walking distance from the Church. Amazingly, nobody actually bothers Tom Hanks with autographs when they are at the Church or the bakery.

By the way, this is the same Church that Tele Savalis used to attend.
CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

HH St.Pius X, Pope of Rome, Ecumenical Pontiff

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2004, 10:18:10 PM »

Also, how could everyone forget Zorba the Greek?

As for:
Tom Hanks prays at the Greek Orthodox Church of Saint Sophia in Los Angeles located at:

1324 South Normandie Ave
Los Angeles,  CA 90006

Here is the link to the Church’s website.

http://www.stsophia.org/

My brother also prays at the Church and has seen Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson (whose real name is Margarita Ibrahimov) attending there a number of times with their children. After the Liturgy, Tom and his family usually go have lunch at a Greek bakery shop that is walking distance from the Church. Amazingly, nobody actually bothers Tom Hanks with autographs when they are at the Church or the bakery.

Excuse if me if this seems impolite, but what is an altar rail doing in that Orthodox church?
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2004, 10:25:34 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Oh, how could I forget Fiddler on the Roof
Russian Orthodox priest (with a cheap fake beard), and I suppose a deacon maybe?
With all love and peace
copticorthodoxboy
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2004, 10:27:19 PM »

I took the photo tour of St. Sophia Cathedral ( http://www.stsophia.org/photo.asp ) and it really is a beautiful church.

Much more appealing to the eyes than Cardinal Mahoney's monstrosity that poses as a "cathedral".

I was going to ask if Telly Savalas was Orthodox and if he practiced the faith, but I guess the above info answered my question before I even asked it. Smiley

In Christ,
Aaron
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2004, 10:32:05 PM »

Excuse if me if this seems impolite, but what is an altar rail doing in that Orthodox church?

I do not believe this is a true altar rail, at least in the idea of how a Roman Catholic (Not that modern Roman Catholic churches really have them anymore anyways), or Anglican/Episcopalian would view it, or use it, because Orthodox do not kneel to receive the Holy Gifts. From the church's schedule, it looks liek they have a lot of tours come through the church, so maybe it is in place to keep peopel from wandering up to the iconostasis, because if they got that far, they might try to get into the altar area.

That is what I thought anyways, maybe there is another practical reason for it? I noticed that St. Markella's in Astoria has a similar "altar rail" too.

In Christ,
Aaron

Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2004, 10:35:56 PM »

[Excuse if me if this seems impolite, but what is an altar rail doing in that Orthodox church?]

It's not an Altar Rail as is known in the pre Vatican II RCC that separated the Nave from the Sanctuary. In an Orthodox Church it separates the Nave from the Solea. The Iconostasis separates the Nave from the Sanctuary.

Orthodoc

Lemko Rusyn

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2004, 11:47:53 PM »

>>>Lemko Rusyn,
>>>Wouldn't you be mad if a Rusyn turned Baptist?
>>>Anastasios

I was surprised to meet such people when I first began to encounter them, and I was a little offended, I guess.

But now I know more Rusyn (American, mostly) atheists, agnostics, Protestants, "Bible meetingers", and Jews (converts from BC or EO) than I can count.  Some were baptized BC or EO and formed in the faith; others were raised in their particular sects; others were the children of socialists and atheists themselves and remain unchurched or anti-religion.

Mad?  No; I'm totally over it.  They're good people.  C'est la vie.
Lemko Rusyn

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2004, 11:58:50 PM »

In the horror genre there's a few that come to mind.

Mario Bava's Black Sunday aka The Mask of Satan (1961) is adapted from a Nikolaj Gogol short story, and is set in 19th-century Moldavia.  There is a priest character (minor, but important) who looks traditional Orthodox (incl. a riasa and pectoral cross), and an icon and its Church Slavonic inscription is a plot point (the priest has to "decipher" the inscription) but certain of the other religious trappings appear more Latin than Byzantine.  Believe it or not, the priest seems portrayed as kind of quaint, but his faith and that of the townspeople is not ridiculed; on the contrary, it helps bring about a victory over evil.

The Keep (1983) which I've only seen once, many years ago, based on an F. Paul Wilson novel, is set in Romania and I distinctly remember it had a strong religious theme tied to Romanian Orthodoxy.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2004, 12:09:35 AM »

Aaron,

You & I agree regarding Cardinal Mahony's creation ? Oy vey !

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2004, 12:22:02 AM »

Li Richard Burton played an Episcopal priest who freaks out and turns against God in some black-and-white movie.

That would be "Night of the Iguana", with Susan Lyons and Ava Gardner (if it had been about an Orthodox priest I suppose it would have been called "Night of the Igumen")

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2004, 03:12:04 AM »

(if it had been about an Orthodox priest I suppose it would have been called "Night of the Igumen")

LOL

hmmmm...
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2004, 09:30:12 AM »

Unfortunately Tom Hanks will be stariing in the Da Vinci Code movie.

http://romanticmovies.about.com/od/thedavincicode/a/davinci113004.htm

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2004, 09:56:48 AM »

Unfortunately Tom Hanks will be stariing in the Da Vinci Code movie.

Figures, doesn't it? Hollywood...what a joke.

monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2004, 03:32:08 PM »

There was an episode of the TV show Taxi that also did a bad number on Orthodoxy.  If I remember correctly the wife of one of the men went to the "Orthodox" priest because her husband cheated on her.  The "priest" told her she needed to cheat on her husband -- sort of a way to punish him, I guess.

Vlad Dracula was originally Orthodox, but converted to be a Roman Catholic.  That's were some people believe that he is a vampire because left left the True Church. There was a tv movie, about 2 yrs ago (?), that played up the Orthodox side.  They had the Church responsible for Vlad being murdered.

Another tv show, I think it was called Millinium (?), had an episode in an Orthodox church, with the icons of Christ and the Theotokos reversed on the icon screen.

Fiddler on the Roof, also had little scenes with Orthodox.

By way the worse movie I saw was the Russia, Rasputin.  There is a scene of Rasputin bedding a woman and having a group of monks come in and attack Rasputin.  As they are beating Rasputin, the woman gets dressed, she is a NUN.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2004, 03:57:33 PM »

There was an episode of the TV show Taxi that also did a bad number on Orthodoxy.  If I remember correctly the wife of one of the men went to the "Orthodox" priest because her husband cheated on her.  The "priest" told her she needed to cheat on her husband -- sort of a way to punish him, I guess.

Already mentioned 'Taxi' - yes, Father, that's the worst example of several from that programme ’cos it 1) gave the most misinformation and 2) to top it off, Latka's wife says after being given this ridiculous order from the priest, 'Ve are Orthodox'. Ugh.

Fiddler on the Roof also had little scenes with Orthodox.

Love the 30 seconds in the introductory scene/song ('Tradition') when Tevye introduces the Russians in the larger town of Anatevka outside the shetl, even though the organ music is out of place describing them! The hieromonk giving the girl a blessing, the onion domes and crosses above them in the background... beautiful.

The scene where Tevye's wife visits the church to find out what happened to daughter Hava (she married a Russian against Tevye's wishes) seem unflattering in part but accurate - the minor cleric or monk said rather rudely 'What are you doing here?' - but I also remember the priest looking benevolent.

monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2004, 04:08:08 PM »

Just remembered, Are You Being Served? with one of the gentlemen dressing as a "GreeK" Archbishop for a fake wedding.  Also, Freinds, they needed a minister for a wedding and they dragged in an Orthodox priest, only to be shoved aside by Joey a minister of some group.

I also remembered a movie made in the 50's called, And The Next Voice You Hear...  It was about a voice on the radio that was beleived to be God.  This lead to a group of farmers in Russia, I guess, digging up some trunks.  The next scene is a procession with icons and the leader of the farmers is a bishop.

Do you notice in alot of movies with Orthodox monastics the headgear is nothing like it is today/

monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2004, 04:15:36 PM »

Has anyone ever noticed in all the Dracula films, with Christopher Lee, from Hammer Films, the churches and clergy are always Catholic.  It was only in The Vampire Circus that they showed the body of an Orthodox  priest, dead from the plague, and the interior of the church.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2004, 04:26:54 PM »

Just remembered, 'Are You Being Served?' with one of the gentlemen dressing as a "GreeK" Archbishop for a fake wedding.

Didn't see that one. I don't like that show very much except for Mr Humphries and even he in a black-humour way is part of the dreariness, the class hatred and 'hanging on in quiet desperation' of the show - in short, reflecting unpleasant and true aspects of real life in England.

Also, 'Friends', they needed a minister for a wedding and they dragged in an Orthodox priest, only to be shoved aside by Joey a minister of some group.

I saw that and it wasn't that bad - he seemed vested properly and the ruse was they claimed Chandler, Monica or both were Greek. Detail alert: the sign in front of the reception hall for the Greek wedding had 'Anastassakis' as one of the family names on it, and I think that might be Jennifer Aniston's real or least historical family name.

Do you notice in a lot of movies with Orthodox monastics the headgear is nothing like it is today?

I hadn't but on 'Seinfeld' the hats were exaggerated but almost right - about the only thing accurate in the whole episode.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 04:28:44 PM by Serge » Logged

monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2004, 04:43:09 PM »

I think it might have been in Fiddler, the veil just hangs loose in the back, not gathered as it is today.

There was a show, I can't remember the name...it had Black Dragon in it.  It was about some German, I think, Catholics looking for a route through Russia to China.  They encounter Ukrainian Cossacks and while in Russia they were arrested and when they found out one of the members was a Jesuit they were planning to excute them all.  This scene was very interesting...it beginning with the "Our Father" being chanted by a group of monks.  Each prisoner was taken to the priest and if he crossed himself in the Orthodox fashion and kissed the cross he was not excuted.  But he was quickly dragged to the river's edge and dunked 3 times.  Anyone not doing so was hung on the spot.  Of course the Jesuit refuses to cross himself and he's about to be hung when he rushes back to the priest and crosses himself and gets "baptised.  The leader of the group says, "Priest you made the right choice...Orthodoxy or death."  When they finally get to China they meet with a Russia priest-monk named German.  The natives offer the Jesuit a wife...he refuses and one native says, "Father German accepted the gift."

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2004, 05:20:20 PM »

Do you notice in alot of movies with Orthodox monastics the headgear is nothing like it is today/

I know that in Andrei Rublev, it was set during the Tatar yoke, so the headgear was according to the old rite: monks wore simple veils and skufiyas, not kamilavkas. You can see a screenshot with the old-rite monastic gear here.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2004, 05:24:05 PM »

I know that in Andrei Rublev, it was set during the Tatar yoke, so the headgear was according to the old rite: monks wore simple veils and skufiyas, not kamilavkas. You can see a screenshot with the old-rite monastic gear here.

Thanks for the info. Today only the patriarch of Moscow wears that style of monastic hat in the Russian Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 05:25:29 PM by Serge » Logged

monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2004, 05:25:50 PM »

Thanks, Beayf. I personally prefer the monastic habit according to the Old Rite. Tho, I don't know how my Archbishop would react. Even the tunic is different...it has a set of buttons going down to the waist and the rest of the tunic is in one piece. Reminds me of my former Franciscan days.

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2004, 05:45:36 PM »

Of course, the fact that Andrei Rublev got it right for the time period it was set in is no excuse for films set in modern times having inaccurate clerical garb.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 05:45:46 PM by Beayf » Logged
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2004, 05:50:33 PM »

Just remembered, 'Are You Being Served?' with one of the gentlemen dressing as a "GreeK" Archbishop for a fake wedding.

Serge
Didn't see that one. I don't like that show very much except for Mr Humphries and even he in a black-humour way is part of the dreariness, the class hatred and 'hanging on in quiet desperation' of the show - in short, reflecting unpleasant and true aspects of real life in England.

Ania:
I love this show, and when I saw this episode I was ROLLING.  Mrs. Slokum (sp?) was supposed to get married to a Greek gentleman, who left her.  Rather than let her face embarassment in front of her family and friends, the rest of the cast threw a fake wedding.  I didn't find it offensive, the old man obviously had no idea what he was doing, somehow involving salt & pepper shakers and intoning "Arystotle, Olympus...."

Also, 'Friends', they needed a minister for a wedding and they dragged in an Orthodox priest, only to be shoved aside by Joey a minister of some group.

Serge:
I saw that and it wasn't that bad - he seemed vested properly and the ruse was they claimed Chandler, Monica or both were Greek. Detail alert: the sign in front of the reception hall for the Greek wedding had 'Anastassakis' as one of the family names on it, and I think that might be Jennifer Aniston's real or least historical family name.

Ania: I saw it too, it wasn't so bad.

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2004, 06:04:09 PM »

Actually, in Russia these railings are quite common.  They are not alter rails in the Catholic sense.  From what I saw in the big cathedrals they serve the practical purpose of keeping people off the stairs to the amvon. 

CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »

I took the photo tour of St. Sophia Cathedral ( http://www.stsophia.org/photo.asp ) and it really is a beautiful church.

Much more appealing to the eyes than Cardinal Mahoney's monstrosity that poses as a "cathedral".

I was going to ask if Telly Savalas was Orthodox and if he practiced the faith, but I guess the above info answered my question before I even asked it.  Smiley

In Christ,
Aaron
That multiuse building called a cathderal is not what I call "Catholic"!!! I have been told by some one who keeps acquiantance with witches that they would love to have such a 'worship space"! THe insanity
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2004, 08:13:05 PM »

That multiuse building called a cathderal is not what I call "Catholic"!!!

Neither would I!  Angry

I have been told by some one who keeps acquiantance with witches that they would love to have such a 'worship space"! THe insanity

Somehow, I am not surpised...  Shocked

In Christ,
Aaron
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2004, 02:17:25 AM »

Telly Savalas was Orthodox, and his funeral was held at St. Sophia's in LA. Jennifer Aniston attended; Savalas was her baptismal godparent.

bripat22

Slava Tebie, Boze nas! Slava Tebie

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2004, 11:46:24 PM »

I fondly remember a scene from the (yes, made-for-TV), "Young Catherine" which, although a rather soap-operalike version of Russian history has some lovely view of Russian Church interiors and an excellent portrayal of a Metropolitan who counsels Catherine the Great before she converts to Orthodoxy. He tells her that he respects her Lutheran Faith and tries to explain to her that what she had been brought up to believe about Icons and images was  not actually the case. He also stands up to Empress Elizabeth (in a great portrayal by Vanessa Redgrave) telling her that Catherine should not be forced into Orthodoxy.
 Does anyone elso remember this film??
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 11:47:52 PM by bripat22 » Logged

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like!-

Maggie Smith "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"
CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2004, 12:19:42 AM »

Telly Savalas was Orthodox, and his funeral was held at St. Sophia's in LA. Jennifer Aniston attended; Savalas was her baptismal godparent.
So does that mean Jennifer ANniston is Orthodox also???
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2004, 12:28:35 AM »

So does that mean Jennifer ANniston is Orthodox also???

I don't know if she is practicing, but she was baptized Orthodox.

CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2004, 06:00:39 PM »

I think it might have been in Fiddler, the veil just hangs loose in the back, not gathered as it is today.

There was a show, I can't remember the name...it had Black Dragon in it. It was about some German, I think, Catholics looking for a route through Russia to China. They encounter Ukrainian Cossacks and while in Russia they were arrested and when they found out one of the members was a Jesuit they were planning to excute them all. This scene was very interesting...it beginning with the "Our Father" being chanted by a group of monks. Each prisoner was taken to the priest and if he crossed himself in the Orthodox fashion and kissed the cross he was not excuted. But he was quickly dragged to the river's edge and dunked 3 times. Anyone not doing so was hung on the spot. Of course the Jesuit refuses to cross himself and he's about to be hung when he rushes back to the priest and crosses himself and gets "baptised. The leader of the group says, "Priest you made the right choice...Orthodoxy or death." When they finally get to China they meet with a Russia priest-monk named German. The natives offer the Jesuit a wife...he refuses and one native says, "Father German accepted the gift."
How barbaric!!!
BJohnD

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2004, 03:26:48 PM »

From Russia, With Love (1963) includes a scene inside what Bond calls "St. Sophia mosque" (Yikes! Lips Sealed) in Constantinople.

Captain Corelli's Mandonlin shows a whole lot of extras crossing themselves the wrong way.

Shirley Valentine includes a minute or two of a Greek wedding, shown very tastefully.

And the big city in Star Wars: Episode I looks a whole lot like Constantinople.
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2004, 04:44:25 PM »

Telly Savalas was a married man with children who had a mistress on the side.  A mistress who bore him an illegitimate son.  A son who he waited until he was around eight years old to have baptised because he wanted it done in Greece.  Orthodox?Huh?

Orthodoc

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2004, 04:56:06 PM »

Telly Savalas was a married man with children who had a mistress on the side. A mistress who bore him an illegitimate son. A son who he waited until he was around eight years old to have baptised because he wanted it done in Greece. Orthodox?Huh?

Orthodoc

Yes.
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2004, 06:36:36 PM »

Yes.

Now why doesn't that surpriseme?

Orthodoc

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2004, 03:52:41 AM »

Orthodoc...
You have no idea the family dinamics that went on the Savalas household.  What the media portrays, or what even the family portrays to the outside world could be extremely different from what actually happens.  What if Mr. Savalas repented?  Who are you to judge?  Everyone sins, in thought & action.  You are in no position to judge Mr. Savalas.  He died, hopefully after confessing his sins & receiving absolution.  I know a lot of people who unfortunately have had relations outside of marriage, and even a few that resulted in children.  Unfortunate, yes, but it is your kind of attitude that drives these people farther away from the chuch, as well as their children & loved ones... Its the people who judge, can't fogive, can't understand, that are the bane of our beloved Church's existance. 

Justinian

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2005, 07:19:01 PM »

Orthodox in movies I have seen have always been negative depictions besides "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".
In the "Peacemaker" it has a Orthodox Serb Terrorist who sneaks in a nuclear weapon into the United States, and when he sees it on the baggage belt being loaded onto the plane he crosses himself Orthodox style, not Catholic style, as he would if he was a Croat. "Behind Enemy Lines" is full of anti-Serb Orthodox propaganda, as when the Serb sniper kisses something (i think it was his baptismal cross) when he shoots down the U.S. plane, and when they are in the Serb military headquarters you can see Orthodox graffiti all over the walls, and in the office with the General (who was in the beginning of the movie supervising the filling up of a mass grave of muslims) has a Orthodox icon on the wall of the Theotokos. "Stiletto Dance" has  a shotgun-wielding Orthodox priest who is in cahoots with a Serb Terrorist organization and the Russian Mob. It just looks to me like some directors in hollywood have an axe to grind........

In XC,
Justinian

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2005, 09:46:32 AM »

quote: indifferent person joins to please wife and/or in-laws. (in reference to my big fat greek wedding)

I'm sorry but i love that movie, and it is one thing that made me want to go check out the GO church...it put me in mind of the wonderful people i knew when i was dating a GO boy...I've never experienced anything but warmth and welcome fromt the local Greek community.

I don't think they (those who join when getting married) are or that character was indifferent in general, and in that case in the movie, I think it was that he loved her enough to become a part of her faith life as well as her life life. Of course the two are intertwined, so there you go. Wink Besides, it was a movie, they arent going to delve into a deep spiritual analysis in a family comedy, are they?

I've never seen Deer Hunter, and only saw the Exorcist once (that was enough) though i may have to check into some of the films listed (i do love movies) as for negative terrorist type protrayals, aren't there nutters in every bunch?  I dont want to get political, but religion has been used to justify terrorism for aeons, even while the actions totally conradict the teachings of the faith. 

one more thing, a question, about crossing, why the difference between RC and GO, O in general? is there a thread on this (I'll go look)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 09:55:05 AM by aurelia » Logged
BJohnD

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2005, 12:59:04 PM »

one more thing, a question, about crossing, why the difference between RC and GO, O in general? is there a thread on this (I'll go look)

I think it's more a cultural/historical "accident" than anything, but I have read elsewhere that it may have grown out of different reactions to the priest blessing the faithful. That is, the priest faces the faithful and makes the sign of the cross over them, moving his hand up and down, then to his left and right. It may be that in the East the people "mirrored" the movement -- moving horizontally from their right to left -- and in the West they imitated the motion exactly -- their left to right.

BJohnD
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2005, 01:22:10 PM »

There is a thread on the different ways of making the Sign of the Cross; I don't recall where exactly it is, but if you search for it, I think you may find it useful. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2005, 10:33:35 AM »

as for negative terrorist type protrayals, aren't there nutters in every bunch? I dont want to get political, but religion has been used to justify terrorism for aeons, even while the actions totally conradict the teachings of the faith.

In the case of the Serbians it is deliberate attempt to recast the Serbs as the Villians for a genecide that never occured in Kosovo and Bosnia to the Albanians.  It is not a case "nutters in every bunch" or anything that flippant.  To this day the persecution of Christians in the Balkans continues and is aided by Western Governments. 
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2005, 10:57:08 AM »

I didnt mean to come off as flippant, far from it.  I wanted to avoid an essay on extremism in religion, and how far some will go to "justify" their personal agendas by using religious beliefs, twisting them up and totally removing them from the original intent.

Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2005, 01:16:58 AM »

Zorba the Greek
Justinian

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2005, 09:33:49 PM »

I just got done watching a movie more balanced in the take of Bosnia. Its called "Savior" starring Dennis Quaid and directed by a Serb Director. It has an Orthodox Priest in it whose later martyred by Muslims. Its a very good movie but not for the faint of heart. Also, if anyone has seen it, and is familiar with Serb folk song, theres a song played while Dennis Quaid is supervising the prisoner exhange with his sniper rifle. I absoulutely love it and would love to know the name of it or where to purchase it on a CD.

In XC,
Justinian

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2005, 09:15:21 AM »

Justinian,

Yes, Savior is a fantastic film (in a grim way - that scene with the hammer wielding paramilitary literally gave me nightmares!). I, too, would say that's about the most balanced film I've seen on the wars in former Yugoslavia - most are just Serb bashing rubbish. There was also a pretty balanced drama on British television a few years ago about two friends from Sarajevo, one Muslim and one Serb and how the war affected them - can't for the life of me remember what it was called, though.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2005, 09:29:10 AM »

I just read through this thread and noticed that the subject of that awful Bram Stoker's Dracula film was brought up. I know that I have a bee in my bonnet about this but...

There never was anyone in Romanian history called Vlad Dracula - Bram Stoker based his character on Vlad Tepes, his grandfather Vlad Dracul and Countess Bathory. 'Dracula' is grammatically impossible in Romanian, it would be like saying 'the he/she-devil'.

Vlad Dracul was Orthodox for his entire life (despite the title meaning the Devil). His grandson Vlad Tepes (the Impaler), on the other hand, did convert to Roman Catholicism in the hope of western help against the Turks. This never materialised and I'm unsure as to whether he returned to Orthodoxy - in any case he wasn't a particularly good Christian and he certainly was never more than a political convert to Catholicism - there's a famous story of him nailing Catholic legates' hats to their heads!

There ends the rant. Was anyone here aware of a direct descendant of Vlad Tepes trying to sue Francis Ford Coppola over Bram Stoker's Dracula, by the way? I saw it on Romanian news one time when I was visiting the country - she was claiming that the scene in the church at the beginning where Vlad stabs the cross was deformation of character. I never did find out how that panned out. I'd love to know, though.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2005, 09:44:50 AM »

I just got done watching a movie more balanced in the take of Bosnia. Its called "Savior" starring Dennis Quaid and directed by a Serb Director. It has an Orthodox Priest in it whose later martyred by Muslims. Its a very good movie but not for the faint of heart. Also, if anyone has seen it, and is familiar with Serb folk song, theres a song played while Dennis Quaid is supervising the prisoner exhange with his sniper rifle. I absoulutely love it and would love to know the name of it or where to purchase it on a CD.

Justinian,

Haven't seen this movie because as a general rule I avoid all the blatant anti-Serb propoganda flicks, but I'll make a point of checking it out in the next few weeks and I'll let you know if I know the song.  I might be that I already own it, if so, I'll send you a copy.  I have a pretty extensive collection of songs from the homeland.  Wink

To add to the discussion, I've seen countless documentaries on Sundance with regard to the Orthodoxy.  In fact, I have my Tivo set up to tape any programs appearing with certain "keywords".  Orthodox is one of those.

Often I get documentaries on Orthodox Judaism and as a result am slowly becoming an expert on all things Jewish. LOL  Grin

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2005, 04:56:48 PM »

My wife has a thing for these $1 DVDs at Wal-Mart. Last night she came home with an old Robert Wagner film, "Beneath the Twelve Mile Reef" - about Florida (GreeK) Cypriote sponge divers. Loaded with things Orthodox. I enjoyed it.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2005, 01:02:55 AM »

Believe it or not, Aurelia, as far as I know, the Latins used to cross themselves in exactly the way we did. But then a pope mandated that this should change, in order to further distinguish the Latins from the Greeks, because this pope was angry at the Greeks. I guess you should look for that thread and see what others have to say, as I am a bit foggy on this.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 01:05:06 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »

There ends the rant. Was anyone here aware of a direct descendant of Vlad Tepes trying to sue Francis Ford Coppola over Bram Stoker's Dracula, by the way? I saw it on Romanian news one time when I was visiting the country - she was claiming that the scene in the church at the beginning where Vlad stabs the cross was deformation of character. I never did find out how that panned out. I'd love to know, though.

James

Hey, James. Nice to have your more first hand input here. I discern you are in agreement with Professor E. Miller's relatively recent work on Vlad. I am amazed at how quickly her version has been propagating on the internet. A few years ago( before she published) what historical facts I could glean did not exactly deny what she wrote, but they did state that while he was from an Orthodox family he was not Orthodox himself. Further, he did not convert to Rc-ism but was finally baptized (and for the reasons Miller gives). No matter. This is not something I'll go to the wall over.
Historians apparently disagree and I'll accept your version if it's actually Romanian-based. I have no doubt that he was (and apparently still is) a local hero of sorts.

Carpatho-Rusyn
Just Orthodox

« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2005, 01:02:33 AM »

Two classics, in Russian (English subtitles) but worth every minute:

Andrei Rublev - uncut version of the Tarkovsky classic now available on DVD

The Captain's Daughter - Pushkin's classic story. I've only seen it on VHS.

Warm Regards,

Man, learn the sickness of thy soul, for without acknowlegdement of illness there is no healing....Christ alone can heal us, who sigh and pray to him with faith.
- St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
Carpatho-Rusyn
Just Orthodox

« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2005, 09:48:53 AM »

I'm surprised nobody yet has mentioned Tarkovsky's masterpiece Andrei Rublev - portrays monastic life extensively, which only makes sense considering it's a movie about a bunch of monks. I thought it was a very sympathetic portrayal as well - no wonder it was so heavily censored during Soviet times.

Happy to see someone else appreciates it! You have great taste! Wink

You can see how almost the entire film would give the soviets the jitters.

Man, learn the sickness of thy soul, for without acknowlegdement of illness there is no healing....Christ alone can heal us, who sigh and pray to him with faith.
- St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2005, 01:41:33 AM »

Yeah, almost any Tarkovsky film has some strand of Orthodoxy in it, as he was a devout Orthodox believer. I love him.

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
Justinian

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2005, 12:30:13 AM »

Justinian,

Haven't seen this movie because as a general rule I avoid all the blatant anti-Serb propoganda flicks, but I'll make a point of checking it out in the next few weeks and I'll let you know if I know the song. I might be that I already own it, if so, I'll send you a copy. I have a pretty extensive collection of songs from the homeland. Wink

To add to the discussion, I've seen countless documentaries on Sundance with regard to the Orthodoxy. In fact, I have my Tivo set up to tape any programs appearing with certain "keywords". Orthodox is one of those.

Often I get documentaries on Orthodox Judaism and as a result am slowly becoming an expert on all things Jewish. LOL Grin

Have you rented it? If so please tell us what you thought of it, and if you know the song, it would be quite the blessing for you to send it to me. Thanks so much!

In XC,
Justinian
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:30:59 AM by Justinian » Logged

jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2005, 06:07:04 AM »

Hey, James. Nice to have your more first hand input here. I discern you are in agreement with Professor E. Miller's relatively recent work on Vlad. I am amazed at how quickly her version has been propagating on the internet. A few years ago( before she published) what historical facts I could glean did not exactly deny what she wrote, but they did state that while he was from an Orthodox family he was not Orthodox himself. Further, he did not convert to Rc-ism but was finally baptized (and for the reasons Miller gives). No matter. This is not something I'll go to the wall over.
Historians apparently disagree and I'll accept your version if it's actually Romanian-based. I have no doubt that he was (and apparently still is) a local hero of sorts.

Hi,

I only just noticed this reply - sorry for the delay. Yes, Vlad Tepes is considered a hero in Romania, but a very secular one. He's more of a brutal but successful ruler than he is a wonderful man, though many look (through rose-tinted glasses I feel) to his period as a golden age for Wallachia. I'd actually say that Mircea the Old and Vlad Dracul are considered more as heroes in the conventional sense, because of their military campaigns against the Turks. Of course, the greatest hero in Romanian history is, and probably always will be, Stefan cel Mare (Stephen the Great) the Voievod of Moldova and cousin of Vlad Tepes. He is an Orthodox saint, was a great patron of the Church, successfully defended Moldova from Turks, Tartars, Hungarians and Poles for almost 50 years and was a brilliant statesman. There's someone I'd love to see a film on. I believe there is one (in Romanian) made during the communist era, but that is likely to gloss over his Orthodoxy, which would pretty much remove the most important aspect of his life. It really is a shame that it's Vlad and not Stefan that is best known in the west.

James

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2006, 05:46:53 AM »

(I'm not trying to start too many threads, but I've been thinking about this)

A great many films we see have a Catholic/Protestant theme to them. I'm a great horror film buff, and it's always a Catholic priest that's featured fighting vampires, or performing some great task - or someone's gone to the Catholic church to take holy water and implements to fight off the vampire.

Maybe I'm just thinking aloud

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2006, 08:38:35 AM »

Off the top of my head, I'm trying to think of Orthodox ones...
My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which disappointed me around the baptism...
The Deer Hunter (the church scenes were filmed at St. Theodosios Cathedral, Cleveland, OH)

Does Dr. Zhivago have anything Orthodox in it?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2006, 11:02:42 AM »

Most movies are made in the West.

And by the time Bram Stoker wrote Dracula, the area he knew in Transylvania was peopled largely by Germans, not Romanians, so they wouldn't have been Orthodox, never mind that the real mediæval Dracula was a sometime Orthodox. (I think he was a born one who became Roman Catholic for some reason.)

There is an older thread on Orthodoxy in the movies.

Dr Zhivago has two Orthodox scenes: Zhivago's mother's burial towards the beginning and Lara going to Confession. The latter doesn't make the church look good IMO as the priest blames Lara for what happened when Komorovsky was forcing himself on her (and in one scene essentially rapes her). Bias alert: Pasternak criticised the government but was a moderate Communist himself.

Also, in the action pic The Peacemaker nine years ago, the first scene is a Serbian Orthodox service. (The film doesn't make Serbs look very good.)

As for the Orthodox on the small screen, in the States they show up unflatteringly (and wildly inaccurately) as props in ethnic gags, from 'Taxi' to 'Seinfeld' and 'Friends'. At least the priest on 'Friends' was dressed somewhat correctly, but he was wearing a Russian-style chasuble, the Orthodox don't do weddings in hotels and the service doesn't start with 'Dearly beloved...' (And how many Greek hieromonks do you see as parish priests in America?) Never saw them on TV in the UK.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:14:10 AM by The young fogey » Logged

Timos
High Elder

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2006, 12:09:38 PM »

Theres a really nice film I've got called "The Tale of a Nightingale"- Kori  (young girl) Maria the nun. It's surprisingly in english with greek subtitles!!! The actors are all or mostly greek. It features a beautiful young lady playing the part of St. Maria (apparently) a disciple of St. Patro Kosmas of Aitolos. The costuming is authentically greek/turkish (for the pasha) and it is set in a beautiful monastery in Greece/Cyprus.

It's called tale of nightingale because a nightingale is featured in the movie chirping away every time Maria has a calling from God...

It features also byzantine chant in english during Holy Week (Allelouia- Behold the Bridegroom Comes...) and the 'nuns' are chanting it- quite rare unless you've got Vassilis Hadjinicoloau's english byzantine holy week cd.

However the film quality is really bad as it is a very old movie. I've been searching everywhere for this film in a good quality but have had no luck.

Ironially, this is an EO (Greek national) saint from the 1700's who sacrficied her eyes for her purity...and I bought this VHS @ a Coptic church's bookstore. They also had some other EO greek/russian saints lives as well as even some catholic ones. It seems the bookstore added on arabic subtitles on top of the greek subtitles so neither the greek nor arabic subtitles are completely comprehensible.

I'd love to get my hands on a good quality version of this film.

Speaking of movies, I want to become a movie director and of course make Orthodox movies, movies about Constantinople (Hellenism)/Romiosyni/ Serbs/Russians/ without all the western bias and political agenda.

Then again I'd like to one day be a priest but I've never heard of a priest who does films Smiley
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2006, 12:27:15 PM »

Speaking of movies, I want to become a movie director and of course make Orthodox movies, movies about Constantinople (Hellenism)/Romiosyni/ Serbs/Russians/ without all the western bias and political agenda.

Then again I'd like to one day be a priest but I've never heard of a priest who does films Smiley

I had a screenplay in progress which I was going to "pitch" to various Hollywood directors for a movie based on Kosovo and the Battle of Kosovo 1389.  It was to be a cross between Braveheart and the Passion of the Christ!  Wink

If you ever decide to make movies... consider the Battle of Kosovo as a great Orthodox story!

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2006, 01:26:58 PM »

Makes me wonder why HBO or someone has not made a movie of the fall of Constantinople?  The time is right, the story is more action than "Kingdom of Heaven."  And how about HBO making a series called "Byzantium" along the lines of their "Rome."
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2006, 01:29:29 PM »

Makes me wonder why HBO or someone has not made a movie of the fall of Constantinople?  The time is right, the story is more action than "Kingdom of Heaven."  And how about HBO making a series called "Byzantium" along the lines of their "Rome."

I had mentioned something like this on another message board; specifically, having a movie made about Justinian. The flaw with this plan, at least from our perspective, was shown immediately by desires expressed to have many shots of Theodora in "compromising positions". The lack of Hollywood movies about our saints might be a good thing.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2006, 02:04:29 PM »

I had mentioned something like this on another message board; specifically, having a movie made about Justinian. The flaw with this plan, at least from our perspective, was shown immediately by desires expressed to have many shots of Theodora in "compromising positions". The lack of Hollywood movies about our saints might be a good thing.

As has been said elsewhere, there is longstanding anti-Byzantine bias as shown in Gibbon for example, so that history is largely ignored and forgotten in the West.

A few Theodora shots may be both necessary to tell your story and, honestly, for sales but point taken. I understand that was a problem with the old Hollywood biblical pictures like Samson and Delilah: how to balance 'sex sells' titillation with enough righteous indignation...

The complete life story of St Mary of Egypt would probably be unfilmable hardcore.

Not a problem with military historical epics (after Henry V or Braveheart) like the Kosovo story.

Why violence on screen seems less of an occasion of sin (which I suspect as well) than sex could be a thread of its own.

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2006, 02:14:07 PM »

http://www.kosovo.com/kosbitka.html

The Battle of Kosovo

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2006, 02:26:18 PM »

"I'm not trying to start too many threads, but I've been thinking about this"

Au contraire; this is a message board where one hopes to find lots of lively discussion. You are helping us to live this goal Smiley

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2006, 02:55:32 PM »

Just to add to the TV listings, I'm sure there was Orthodox or pseudo-Orthodox scenes on Perfect Strangers (I have one in my mind, but don't remember the context) and Full House.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2006, 03:44:48 PM »

Why violence on screen seems less of an occasion of sin (which I suspect as well) than sex could be a thread of its own.

Sex on screen can arouse the passions in a way that violence usually doesn't. A guy watching somebody get killed onscreen isn't usually going to be inflamed with bloodlust, but watching a woman having sex will quite likely induce lustful feelings in him.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2006, 04:00:02 PM »

I wondered if 'Perfect Strangers' ever did anything regarding Balki's* religion and if so was it at least respectful if not accurate? I've no idea.

(Would the isle of Mypos be under the Patriarch of Constantinople or the Archbishop of Athens? Or did the whole island go Old Calendarist? If so which group? Or maybe, just maybe, they were among the converts and are part of, gasp, Greece's small Roman Catholic or really tiny Byzantine Catholic minority. I need to get a life.  Smiley )

Regarding 'Full House' (never watched it), was John Stamos' character Greek like the actor probably is?

Sex on screen can arouse the passions in a way that violence usually doesn't. A guy watching somebody get killed onscreen isn't usually going to be inflamed with bloodlust, but watching a woman having sex will quite likely induce lustful feelings in him.

True.

*Balkan; OK, I get it.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2006, 04:37:28 PM »

Yes, Jesse Cotsopoulos (Stamos) was Greek, and I think they had a supposedly Greek (and maybe Orthodox) wedding.  I can't remember the details.

---------------------
suzannes

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2006, 06:40:33 PM »

The Greta Garbo version of Anna Karennina has a pretty accurate looking Orthodox wedding (Levin and Kitty), and Anna's son has an icon in his room, and wears a baptismal cross.  Interesting that 1930's Hollywood managed to get these things right.

A slightly different take on this subject: NOT that I'm suggesting anyone go rent this movie during Lent, but if sometime you want to check out a truely wacko, crazy film, try John Boorman's Excorcist II, where Richard Burton (as a Catholic priest), goes to a Coptic monastery in Ethiopia is quite the viewing experience!  Now, I'm *very* dubious that anything show is authenticly Coptic, but it's so weird that I've remembered it for years.  If you want a "sooooooo bad it's good" movie to watch with your friends, this is it.  (I'm not even going to get started on the tap-dancing Linda Blair and James Earl Jones as the voice of a giant locust...)

There was an Orthodox character on NYPD Blue, but I never got into watching that show.  
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2006, 06:51:47 PM »

Home Alone. The main theme isn't Orthodox, but right before eating the mac and cheese, he crossed himself EO style  Smiley

Also, Hunting for Red October and K-19 The Widowmaker have some Orthodox things.

I think i have some others, I can't remember, but I will post if I do.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 06:54:09 PM by Meekle » Logged
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2006, 09:30:55 PM »

The Russian Movie Andre Rublev was full of Orthodoxy, beautiful scenes and explained  Rublev's statement that he would not paint the Judgement because of its vision of hell---he said the average Russian of his time had only to step from the heaven of the church to the hell outside its door. The movie shows this vividly.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 12:25:36 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2006, 09:53:30 PM »

There was an Orthodox character on 'NYPD Blue', but I never got into watching that show.

I didn't watch the show but remember the lovely Sharon Lawrence and that her character (who was married to Dennis Franz's Sipowicz) had a Greek name.

On 'St Elsewhere' there was a 'big fat Greek wedding'-like story in which Dr Ehrlich (Ed Begley Jnr) married an ethnic Greek but didn't convert (I don't think that issue ever came up). IIRC the church and priest were accurately depicted for a change.

K-19 did indeed have a subtle Orthodox detail in it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:54:15 PM by The young fogey » Logged

QuoVadis

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2006, 10:29:18 PM »

Theres a really nice film I've got called "The Tale of a Nightingale"- Kori  (young girl) Maria the nun. It's surprisingly in english with greek subtitles!!! The actors are all or mostly greek. It features a beautiful young lady playing the part of St. Maria (apparently) a disciple of St. Patro Kosmas of Aitolos. The costuming is authentically greek/turkish (for the pasha) and it is set in a beautiful monastery in Greece/Cyprus.

It's called tale of nightingale because a nightingale is featured in the movie chirping away every time Maria has a calling from God...

This sounds like a beautiful movie that I'd love to see.  Where did you buy the video from?

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2006, 12:14:48 AM »

I had a screenplay in progress which I was going to "pitch" to various Hollywood directors for a movie based on Kosovo and the Battle of Kosovo 1389.  It was to be a cross between Braveheart and the Passion of the Christ!  Wink

If you ever decide to make movies... consider the Battle of Kosovo as a great Orthodox story!
I'd like to see these stories be told. There's a film called "Ararat" which deals with the massacres of Armenians, I've got it on DVD, but I've only seen it half the way through so far. It's not really religious, though they touch upon the issue that the Armenians are Christian, but they're aiming for a difference on race

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2006, 12:15:37 AM »

Home Alone. The main theme isn't Orthodox, but right before eating the mac and cheese, he crossed himself EO style
That's well spotted!

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2006, 12:49:44 AM »

Quo Vadis, as I've stated in my previous post on this thread, a Coptic bookstore nearby sells some EO movies. If I knew the source I would buy a good quality version of it.

In the original Exorcist, the priest doing the exorcising is Greek Catholic although he is neither Melkite nor Arab. I found that strange. He did not seem particularly greek to me. He seemed rather very Anglo-Saxon or French. The only greek I see is the demon (in the form of his mother)  crying for him "Dimmi Dimmi"- which if it was real his mother would've probably crucified him for leaving Orthodoxy- not thatr I have an "axe to grind" with Catholicism particularly other than the usual stuff.

Strangely enough, in the movie Ararat, they show an Armenian village priest walking about, and feature some religious choral liturgical music in the background, especially when the mother is hugging her son telling him never to forget his identity and faith- that was my favourite part of the movie. Also, the guy who plays the main character as an adult (with the curly hair looking for all the answers) is really greek and not armenian. This movie doesn't show enough of the people's faith, more of their ethnciity- there's even a sex scene between the main character and his girlfriend. No worries montalban- its very quick and undetailed.

A documentary on a history channel couple weeks ago showed the regin of Ivan the Terrible and portrayed Russian Orthodoxy like this wacko eastern christian-bhuddist mysticism.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2006, 01:18:56 AM »

The Greta Garbo version of Anna Karennina has a pretty accurate looking Orthodox wedding (Levin and Kitty), and Anna's son has an icon in his room, and wears a baptismal cross.  Interesting that 1930's Hollywood managed to get these things right.

A slightly different take on this subject: NOT that I'm suggesting anyone go rent this movie during Lent, but if sometime you want to check out a truely wacko, crazy film, try John Boorman's Excorcist II, where Richard Burton (as a Catholic priest), goes to a Coptic monastery in Ethiopia is quite the viewing experience!  Now, I'm *very* dubious that anything show is authenticly Coptic, but it's so weird that I've remembered it for years.  If you want a "sooooooo bad it's good" movie to watch with your friends, this is it.  (I'm not even going to get started on the tap-dancing Linda Blair and James Earl Jones as the voice of a giant locust...)

There was an Orthodox character on NYPD Blue, but I never got into watching that show. ÂÂ

On NYPD Blue there was a female ADA named Sylvia, who was Greek Orthodox.  Her & Sipowitz got married in a Greek Church.  They had a son named Theo.  Later on she was killed I think in a shootout in a courthouse.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2006, 01:56:00 AM »

(I'm not trying to start too many threads, but I've been thinking about this)

A great many films we see have a Catholic/Protestant theme to them. I'm a great horror film buff, and it's always a Catholic priest that's featured fighting vampires, or performing some great task - or someone's gone to the Catholic church to take holy water and implements to fight off the vampire.

Maybe I'm just thinking aloud

Which brings me to something else I have been wondering about.  Why is it that whenever a news program discusses something about Christianity you never see an Orthodox Priest or Heirarch interviewed or involved in the discussion?  Are we not invited to speak our mind or is it that we avoid the press.  As a former member of the press in NYC I can understand reluctance to get involved, but if we want to grow as a faith in the US we need to get out more.  After the September 11th tragedy I was proud as an Orthodox Christian to see Archbishop Demetrios at Ground Zero and at the memorial services.  I also understand that GOARCH has some connection with the Hallmark channel.  Why can't we (all Orthodox) get more air time??  While flipping the channels I see some of the great programming on TBN, Trinity Broadcasting Network.  Why can't we have a network??  If all the jurisdictions would be able to pool our talent and resources I think it can be done.  I await your comments.

Psalti Boy
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 01:57:12 AM by Psalti Boy » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2006, 02:17:06 AM »

I just added "The Mission" to my NetFlix queue on a suggestion from a fellow Orthodox.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2006, 02:46:26 AM »

A documentary on a history channel couple weeks ago showed the regin of Ivan the Terrible and portrayed Russian Orthodoxy like this wacko eastern christian-bhuddist mysticism.

You mean that's not right?Huh!!!!  Oh oh.....

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2006, 02:47:36 AM »

I just added "The Mission" to my NetFlix queue on a suggestion from a fellow Orthodox.

IMHO, well worth watching.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2006, 02:58:20 AM »

Dr Zhivago has two Orthodox scenes: Zhivago's mother's burial towards the beginning and Lara going to Confession. The latter doesn't make the church look good IMO as the priest blames Lara for what happened when Komorovsky was forcing himself on her (and in one scene essentially rapes her). Bias alert: Pasternak criticised the government but was a moderate Communist himself.

Oh yes, but it's such a wonderful, heartbreaking journey into the Russian soul and the tragedy of (particularly post-revolutionary) Russian life...such a sad film but I loved it so much.  

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2006, 02:59:35 AM »

The Russian Movie Andre Rublev was full of Orthodoxy, beautiful scenes and explained  Rublev's statement that he would not paint the Judgement because of its vision of hell---he said the average Russian of his time had only to step from the heaven of the church to the hell outside its door. The movie shows this vividly.

An astonishing film.

Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2006, 03:37:40 AM »

And by the time Bram Stoker wrote Dracula, the area he knew in Transylvania was peopled largely by Germans, not Romanians, so they wouldn't have been Orthodox, never mind that the real mediæval Dracula was a sometime Orthodox. (I think he was a born one who became Roman Catholic for some reason.)

As I recall, Vlad converted to Catholicism after they told him it was ok to impale people, as long as the victims were enemies of Rome.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2006, 05:20:33 AM »

In the modern (two part if I remember correctly) television drama of Dr. Zhivago there was a mostly authentic looking Orthodox wedding scene as well as a funeral. I can recall being rather puzzled as to why the groom was standing on the left rather than the right but I don't know enough about Russian tradition to know if this is wrong there as it is in Romania. (I once got dressed down by a babusca for standing on the wrong side of the church in Romania and I guess that pre-communist Russian churches would have been just as traditional about such things as modern Romanian village churches are).

The young fogey,

You are right that Vlad Tepes was born Orthodox and later converted to Roman Catholicism. This was a political move in an attempt to get western help against the Turks. The help never came and he certainly lapsed from Roman Catholicism (he actually nailed hats to the heads of Ppapal representatives at one point!) I believe that he actually died reconciled to the Orthodox Church and he is apparently buried in a Wallachian (Tara Romaneasca) monastery.

You are, however, quite wrong about the 19th century ethnic makeup of Transylvania. The majority of peasants were always Romanian and the majority of aristocrats Hungarian. There were large numbers of Germans but they were by no means the majority and were concentrated in the seven Saxon border towns (such as Brasov) from which the German name for Transylvania (Siebenburgen) derives. In any case, whilst Vlad Tepes, like his cousin Stefan cel Mare, was raised in Transylvania (both were close to the family of Iancu de Hunedoara) after usurpations in their own principalities, Vlad was not Transylvanian but from Tara Romaneasca, which is the province of which he was Voievod.

SouthSerb,

I've always thought that a great topic for a film (and in some ways similar to your Battle of Kosovo idea) would be the rise of St. Stefan cel Mare and his defence of Moldova against Turkish, Hungarian and Tartar invasions. I actually have started, but I can't see myself finishing it this side of retirement, a historical novel on the subject in which I hope to emphasise the religious aspects as well as the political/military. For that reason I doubt it will ever get a publisher in the west, but who knows?

James
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 05:21:06 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2006, 12:24:09 PM »

In the first season of the TV show 24 the hostiles are Serb gangsters also accused of crimes in BiH and Kosovo - Orthodoxy at its finest.  
The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2008, 06:19:16 AM »

I starting watching the movie Ostrov again last night.  It is a very excellent movie, and I highly recommend it.  It got me thinking about the portrayal of Orthodoxy in film.  Does anyone know of any other films where Orthodoxy is portrayed, whether positively or negatively?  Two I can think of are The Fiddler on the Roof (the mother goes inside the Orthodox church building and speaks with the priest about her daughter) and My Big Fat Greek Wedding (which contains both a baptism and a wedding inside an Orthodox church).  Fiddler on the Roof portrayed Orthodoxy as something very strange and foreign, while My Big Fat Greek Wedding portrayed it as more of a Greek cultural thing.  Does anyone have anything to add?
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2008, 08:08:54 AM »

The movie Andrey Rublev is one that comes to mind.  The Deer Hunter has an Orthodox wedding in it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:09:43 AM by PrincessMommy » Logged
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2008, 09:38:56 AM »

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (which contains both a baptism and a wedding inside an Orthodox church).

Actually, the outdoor church shots are of the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church in Toronto, Ontario, Canada...
but the indoor church shots are of St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I'm glad such secular activities didn't occur in an actual Orthodox parish.

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »

Not a movie, but in an episode of Seinfeld George converts to the Latvian Orthodox Church in order to date an Orthodox woman, while Kramer unwittingly seduces a nun. The Church in that episode is portrayed more as naïve than anything else.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2008, 09:52:16 AM »

Does anyone have anything to add?

I know there's more movies, but I can't remember at the moment.  As far as TV series... I remember an episode of Friends where they're all in Las Vegas and need a minister to perform a wedding.  They can't find one, but then an old "Orthodox priest" (i.e. random actor) comes scurrying by and they ask him to do the service.  He says he can't unless they're Orthodox.  Rachel responds with something like: "Oh, yeah, they're Greek... um, this is Mr. Acidophilus."  Roll Eyes

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

_Seraphim_
High Elder

« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »

The Church in that episode is portrayed more as naïve than anything else.

Sounds like the "priest" in Friends.

-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »

There's a classic Russian film "Ivan the Terrible", from the 1930s, made during Stalin's time. It's a great film for anyone learning Russian to watch, because the actors delivered their lines so ponderously.  Anyway, there are Church scenes which I can't remember specifically because it was some time ago that I saw the film.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:08:14 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »

What a timely topic as I was just going to post on something similar after watching a movie this week that had an Armenian Orthodox wedding ceremony in it.  Has anyone seen Sideways with Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church?  Definitely a grown-up movie.  If you haven't seen it, it's a buddy road movie through the California wine country that takes place the week before one of the character's marriage to an Armenian fiancee.  There's plenty of debauchery to go around, particularly one scene.  In the end, there's a very nice wedding scene at a beautiful church somewhere in California.  The depiction of the marriage was respectful, and was performed by an Armenian priest (I assume the priest of that church).   Which brings me to my question.  Considering the subject matter, would you say the priests are condoning the behavior by participation in the film or does the priest have any idea what they are agreeing to?  I'm sure after the priest saw this movie, he might have been thinking "Oh no, what is my Bishop going to say!"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:46:34 AM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »

Not a movie, but in an episode of Seinfeld George converts to the Latvian Orthodox Church in order to date an Orthodox woman, while Kramer unwittingly seduces a nun. The Church in that episode is portrayed more as naïve than anything else.
I remember that episode.  Kramer accidently seduces the nun because he has, as the Latvian priest says, the Kavorka.  From the Urban online dictionary:

Kavorka-
(Pronounced Kah-vor-kah) The Kavorka is a word which originated from the Latvian Orthodox. It means "the lure of the animal". It is described as a curse, making someone irresistible to anyone of the opposite sex, even attractive to the same sex, as people will be naturally drawn to you. It's a heavy responsibility to have to be imposed with everyone's lusty wants, hence, it's consideration as a curse. People will want to be with you, be like you, be you.

"I got the Kavorka, Jerry!  I'm dangerous, I'm very Dangerous!"

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

The Kavorka is a word which originated from the Latvian Orthodox. It means "the lure of the animal".

Oh, I think it originated from the mind of Larry David. Now that's dangerous! laugh

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »

Oh, I think it originated from the mind of Larry David. Now that's dangerous! laugh
Probably so.  He's pretty funny.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMUfWZk3sHs
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:14:20 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »

Thanks for the information!  I imagine that Hollywood, as a general rule, is fairly ignorant about Orthodoxy.  Then again, they often seem fairly ignorant about Christianity of any type.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2008, 03:14:48 PM »

Thanks for the information!  I imagine that Hollywood, as a general rule, is fairly ignorant about Orthodoxy.  Then again, they often seem fairly ignorant about Christianity of any type.
Yeah, on the one hand, it's always kind of exciting to see us on the 'bigscreen', but on the other hand it's usually a big let down.

JAWS_Thomas

Jurisdiction: OCA-DOW

« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »

I didn't see the movie so I don't know what the context is, but in the trailer for the movie Hitman there is a brief scene where you see orthodox priests vested in phelonion and epitrahelion with their skufya's on.

"If you're an alien why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."

-Rose Tyler asking Doctor Who about his accent
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »

"Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors" (also known in the US as "The Wild Horses of Fire"), by Serhiy Paradzhanov, a wonderful Ukrainian film director (died in the early 1990's). The motion picture was released in 1964. The action takes place in a small, poor Ukrainian village lost in the Carpathian mountains, some time in the early or mid-1800s. There are some great scenes shot in the small, but very beautiful wooden village Orthodox church. You can see the clergy in liturgical vestments, censing, icons, lighting of the candles, a choir singing "Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us" etc. All in gorgeous colors, extremely artsy and simltaneously realistic.

Love never fails.
Sarah

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »

The beginning of a James Bond movie (I think Undecided) depicted Orthodoxy--can't remember which one or what was portrayed.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »

The beginning of a James Bond movie (I think Undecided) depicted Orthodoxy--can't remember which one or what was portrayed.

"Dracula" has a wedding scene, where Jonathan Harker and Mina get married.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:11:08 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »

There's also the Church scene in the beginning.

Church scenes are in the background of "Dr. Zhivago," and "Nicholas and Alexander" (now SS....)

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »

There's also the Church scene in the beginning.

Oh, I had forgotten. Years since I saw the film. I must watch it again, sometime.

edited... Oh yes, the flashback scene!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:14:37 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2008, 10:50:04 PM »

the butt of all Mina jokes...I joined this facebook group called "Hi! My name is Mina.  Yes, I'm a guy."  It comes to no surprise that all the male Mina's are Coptic.  But I remember in high school a substitute teacher thought I was bluffing when I said "Here" for the name "Mina."

Sorry for the sidetrack...carry on (maybe there should be a film about that too...hmmm)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:50:49 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »

^^ laugh

Credo.InDeum

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Rite Archdiocese of Perth

« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2008, 07:46:58 AM »

I remember seeing a film (on TV) about the rise of anti-christ where a miracle child is born in the east - one of the Greek islands - and received as a messianic figure. The child is baptised in an Orthodox Church and many members of the congregation are healed of their diseases but alas only temporarily. Needless to say the child turns out to be the anti-christ. However the Orthodox people did make the sign of the cross in the eastern fashion - head-heart, right-left.

I can't remember the film's title.

God does not simply rule by power ...His power is that of sharing in love and suffering ...God becomes small so that we can grasp his nature. - Benedict XVI
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »

Yeah, on the one hand, it's always kind of exciting to see us on the 'bigscreen', but on the other hand it's usually a big let down.

I'm of the opinion that it's best that Hollywood remain clueless about Orthodoxy, given the way they treat the Catholic church and other Christian traditions.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:15:18 AM by PrincessMommy » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2008, 07:03:12 AM »

One of the greatest Egyptian actors, Adel Imam (a Muslim) has been preparing a film entitled "Hassan and Marcos" which seems to be aimed at easing Muslim-Coptic tension. I can't make much of it, but it seems to be about an Imam and a Coptic priest who pretend to be Christian and Muslim, respectively, for the sake of protecting their families (against Muslim extremists who oppose the Imam on account of his opposition to extremism, and who oppose the Coptic priest on account of his being, well, a Coptic priest...I think)...or something like that Huh Here is a short trailer of the film with english subtitles...maybe someone else can make more of it than I can:

http://www.matigi.tv/action/viewvideo/210/Hasan_And_Marcos_Teaser/

I will speak to some friends and relatives about this and update this thread with a more accurate description of the film (which is yet to be released).

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »

I just found this online article from Watani which sheds some clearer light on the matter:

What happens when terrorist threats are sent to religious figures or clerics, forcing them to flee for their lives?

The subject is the topic of the film Hassan and Morqos—Hassan is a common Muslim name while Morqos is a common Coptic name—directed by Ramy Imam and written by Youssef Maaty, the shooting of which has just begun. The film brings together for the first time two masters of Egyptian cinema, international film star Omar Sharif and top comedian Adel Imam, joined by Libliba, Hanaa’ al-Shorbagui, Youssef Dawoud and a host of Egyptian actors and actresses. The story line attempts to tackle the issue of national unity and the war against terrorism through the meeting of a Christian Theology professor and a Muslim Imam, both of whom are fleeing, under disguise, from the face of terrorist threats.

The original story depicted a priest but, when the filmmakers asked for the opinion of Pope Shenouda III he said it was impossible for an ordained priest to relinquish his priestly attire under any circumstance, so the character was changed into a layman, a theology professor.

The move by the filmmakers to consult the pope aroused controversy, with some criticising it as sanctioning church censorship. But, Maati told Watani, it was unreasonable to make a film on a Christian religious figure, written by a Muslim, directed by a Muslim and depicted by Muslim actors and actresses, without consulting the Church on the credibility of the details involved.

At a recent press conference held in Cairo by the film producer Emad El-Din Adeeb, he said that this was the first time in more than 50 years of Egyptian cinema that such a big production is dedicated to fighting terrorism and calling for unity between Muslims and Christians. “This is what drove me to produce the film,” he said.

On his part Adel Imam said that Pope Shenouda III greatly welcomed the film, while Omar Sharif said the film denounces all perpetrators of sectarian strife, whether Muslim or Christian. He expressed enthusiasm at working with Imam for the first time.

Source: http://www.wataninet.com/article_en.asp?ArticleID=17818

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2008, 08:02:23 AM »

And `Omar Shareef, too.  Give us more information as you get; it looks interesting.  The trailer isn't too clear on who is really who.  The beginning seems to show that Shareef's and Imaam's original stations are imaam and priest respectively (they are alone and seem to be praying naturally according to their own traditions), and towards the end, we see that Shareef is the Christian Marqus, but I am not convinced that the opening scenes were portraying the two individuals in their disguises.  Perhaps one of the two scenarios takes place in the imagination since Shareef suggests افرض انك كنت مسيحي زيّي
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsZXcj3ihho

The Simpsons.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2013, 04:40:01 AM »

LOL nice.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »

Here are some very good Russian movies:

The Admiral (about Admiral Kolchack)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_(film)

Ostrov (The Island) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_(2006_film)

The Romanovs: An Imperial Family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Romanovs:_A_Crowned_Family

Tsar (2009) (probably R rated for extreme violence and cruelty)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_(film)

Andrei Rublev
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Rublev_(film)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:27:01 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »

I once watched Tsar with some really bad subtitles. Pretty good movie.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2013, 07:35:40 PM »

There was a documentary on Tchaikovsky (BBC IIRC) that had a few scenes in and Orthodox church.

Also the Expendables II had a scene that took place in an Orthodox church (although no priests or monks were present).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2013, 06:27:08 AM »

Babylon V:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uvmtHGwRSuQ#t=15s

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2013, 12:33:54 AM »

The show Friends featured a scene on one episode where a wedding was brewing, and the original minister was AWOL, so the replacement was a Greek Orthodox Priest with a big beard. They portrayed him more as a silly, jolly guy.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2013, 12:13:35 AM »

Then there is one of my favorite "Orthodox" movies: Hitman

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:26 AM »

In the five year engagement there is a scene where a couple chooses among different religious and nonreligious methods of being married...among their options were a Christian and an extreme Christian priest (dressed like an Orthodox priest)...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »

South Park:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ1loi8GQdI
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:03:22 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2013, 08:05:41 PM »

That's the kind of work the WCC should engage in. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags: movies 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: