OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:12:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats going on in Syria?  (Read 719 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 09, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »

I understand that its absolutely horrific over there, but does anyone know exactly whats happening to Christians?  Who is better for the Christians in Syria... the current govt, or the rebels? It seems that a lot of people (mainly conservatives) in America support the rebels, but my understanding is that the Christians in that region would be worse off with them in power.  I could be wrong though.  I cancelled cable and dont get any national news anymore.  When Ive looked online, I cant find much specifically talking about the well-being of Christians in the region.  Fill me in!!! What is the Church's take on all this?

(I wasnt sure where to post this.  It maybe should have went in politics.  Im sure it will get moved there as this discussion turns more political.)

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Servos

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Belgrade

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:41:23 AM »

For Christians is better Assad regime.
Rebels are extreme Muslims who persecute Christians.

You can inform about events in Syria on Russian State TV http://rt.com/on-air/
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »

All the Syrians I know (and I know more than a few at my parish) support Assad. Not because he's a good guy—he's not, he's a dictator and a brutal one at that—but because he actually worked to protect minorities like Christians and provide a stable society. Assad himself is a minority. His coalition of minority groups keeps him in power.

The rebels are not peace-loving freedom fighters, and I am truly angered that members of our government want to hand out weapons like candy to the rebels. The rebels have bombed Christian monasteries and committed all kinds of violence against Christians. If Assad falls it will be a disaster for the Church of Antioch.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:00:33 PM by age234 » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »

I think that Assad is being set up. Seems to me that American politicians believe all leaders in the middle east are dictators and blood thirsty, and nothing bumps up the polls like giving out good 'ole 'merican freedom  Roll Eyes

Want to know what is best for Syria? Listen to the Christians.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I dont have time to discuss too much now, but recently heard that Romney wanted to help arm the rebels.  I just dont understand, largely because I dont know enough about what is going on in the region. If anyone else cares to chime in, ill be back later this evening.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »

When will we learn that not all rebellions in the middle east are good?

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »

Some of the Rebels are extremist Muslims. The rebels aren't a monolithic, united organization like the Western Media wants you to believe. There are some rebels who are a part of the larger, better organized rebel force, but there are a lot of rebels out there who are extremist Muslims and probably want to wipe out not just the Alawites, but the Christians & Jews as well.

On the other hand, the Assad regime is also corrupt, and would probably have had no qualms about killing Christians who are "in the way". The Christians in Syria are stuck between a rock & a hard place.

The conflict in Syria, unlike what western media tells us, is definitely sectarian violence between Muslims. It is basically a conflict within Islam more than it is a Syrian political conflict.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:39:49 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
age234
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »

On the other hand, the Assad regime is also corrupt, and would probably have had no qualms about killing Christians who are "in the way". The Christians in Syria are stuck between a rock & a hard place.

A year ago Met. Philip sent a delegation of American priests to meet with Assad, as well as Patriarch Ignatius, bishops, and monastics. It sounded pretty universal that the Christians support Assad, because he's depending on them to maintain power with his coalition of minority groups.

Assad is a brutal dictator who rules by fear, sure, but he's not an irrational Islamist idealogue like Iran's leaders. Many of the rebels, are, however, and if they take control the Christian blood will flow. (And if America helps them, the blood of innocent Orthodox Christians will be on America's hands directly.)

Assad is the better of two bad options. He's a dictator, but he is decent to the Christians and seems to have a mutually positive relationship with the Orthodox hierarchy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:16:25 PM by age234 » Logged
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »

When will we learn that not all rebellions in the middle east are good?

Are any of them?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
converted viking

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »

If Assad falls it will be a disaster for the Church of Antioch.

I have been thinking the same thing myself.  I certainly don't condone Assads regime but facts are facts and the Christians will be in a bad way if the Assad government is wasted.  My big question is what happens to the Church of Antioch if Damascus falls?.  Does our Patriarch go into exile somewhere?  How will this play out for the Antiochian Orthodox here in the U.S. and our brothers and sisters in Syria?

Seraphim
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Let us hope that our God is mightier than human weaknesses.  Surely the Church has survived worse, and we must continue to have Faith.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »

I will say I tend to agree with most of what's posted here.  I have no idea why our government would arm and support the very people we have and are fighting on other fronts.  Mind boggling!  I hurt for the Christians in places like this and am so thankful my family is not subject to this type of environment.  I can only imagine how hard it must be for those Christians.  Hmm, having a difficult time putting my thoughts into words here on the subject.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »

Why is there tension between Syria and Turkey?  I have not had time to research the news on that subject.
converted viking

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »

Hmm, having a difficult time putting my thoughts into words here on the subject.

As am I, my mind is about to melt down and my heart aches for what is happening.   The whole of the Middle East is such a mess and it is the birth place of Christianity !!   It is a hard thing to see how much hate there is.

Seraphim
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »

Why is there tension between Syria and Turkey?  I have not had time to research the news on that subject.

Syria was part of the Turkish Ottoman Empire before World War I, and it could be the Turks are trying to exert control there again.  A lot of the "rebels" are actually foreign fighters, many from Turkey.

Many people at my church are from Syria and they are angry, worried and grief stricken over what is going on over there.  They say that under Assad there was freedom of religion and Christians were treated the same as Muslims, something you won't find anywhere else in the Middle East.  The rebels are attacking peaceful Christian neighborhoods, taking over, and even destroying, Christian churches and schools.  Many Christians are being killed in the fighting, as the rebels are in effect using them as human shields when they take over Christian neighborhoods.

Last Sunday one of the families from Syria at my church had a requiem for one of their relatives who was killed in the violence.  It's all very sad.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »

Here is an earlier thread about what is going on:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,45041.0.html

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »

It really is a different narrative than what you hear on the news. I, too, have a hard time trying to say what Im thinking. I guess I just need to read more about other people's (politicians) opinions on the subject so I can have something to compare it to. There is so much that happening over there (Egypt, Libya, Syria, Isreal/Palestine) that I cant make sense of it all.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 10:59:37 PM »

Is it true that Iran is sending arms to Assad because they dont want his regime to fall?  Is this why the U.S. sees the need to support the rebels because they see Assad as a friend to Iran?

Its clear that America doesnt really care about the Christians in the region, so are there possibly two different questions here? 1) Whats better for the security of America? 2) Whats better for the Christians and other people in that region?

Im not saying there should be two different questions, but it appears to be the case. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »

Is it true that Iran is sending arms to Assad because they dont want his regime to fall?  Is this why the U.S. sees the need to support the rebels because they see Assad as a friend to Iran?

Its clear that America doesnt really care about the Christians in the region, so are there possibly two different questions here? 1) Whats better for the security of America? 2) Whats better for the Christians and other people in that region?

Im not saying there should be two different questions, but it appears to be the case. 

America is not a Christian state. We cannot expect her to have the best interest of Christians at heart. Russia is far more the friend of the Church both at home and abroad than these united States. And I say that as a person who wants the Russian Federation to vanish from the earth. (And the Empire to be restored, of course.  police)

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
converted viking

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »

It is the old pick the lesser of two evils and in my opinion Assad is the lesser of the two.  A multitude of Muslim militias running around that do  not have issues killing people of other faiths is bad news.

Seraphim
age234
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 09:56:24 AM »

I have been thinking the same thing myself.  I certainly don't condone Assads regime but facts are facts and the Christians will be in a bad way if the Assad government is wasted.  My big question is what happens to the Church of Antioch if Damascus falls?.  Does our Patriarch go into exile somewhere?  How will this play out for the Antiochian Orthodox here in the U.S. and our brothers and sisters in Syria?

Seraphim

Well, the patriarchate moved from Antioch to Damascus before, it may have to move again. I pray not, but who knows?

The relationship between Syria and the Church of Antioch is still not the best (Syria must approve the election of a new patriarch, much like Turkey and Constantinople). But our Church has come through the worst of the Islamic wars, the Ottoman Turks, and we will come through this as well. Somehow.

The biggest thing I fear is a proliferation of captivity mentality in this country, to the detriment of boldness in evangelism and other areas.

"As the firm support of those who hope in Thee firmly, O Lord do Thou confirm the Church which Thou hast established, which Thou hast purchased for Thyself with Thy precious blood."
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 10:38:28 PM »

I go with brother Nathanael on this one.

It's zionists wiping out any and all enemies.

But this time the Christian Nation of Russia is defending Syria.   He has good stuff.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 07:03:42 AM »

But this time the Christian Nation of Russia is defending Syria.   He has good stuff.

What has Bro Nath. said about the whole Syria conflict ?.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »

What has Bro Nath. said about the whole Syria conflict ?.
I too was curious.  It sounds as if its a reference to Jews, but since I have seen nothing about them related to Syria, I didn't want to say anything and look silly.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SieYTLsWaEM

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Tags: Syria 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: