OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 10:04:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protestants & Baptism  (Read 1297 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: October 08, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »

One of my Protestant friends just announced his Baptism on Facebook the other night and it got me wondering, is the Protestant sacrament (even if they don't view it sacramentally) valid/does it contain sacramental grace? I know that in Orthodoxy we will usually accept that as valid if it was Trinitarian, but what about the fact that no Protestants other than the Lutherans (who can claim apostolic succession from the RC Church) have any Apostolic succession at all? Wouldn't it mean then that the grace and authority that Jesus bestowed upon His apostles to perform the sacraments which was later continued by the Bishops they appointed and further continues throughout the Orthodox and RC clergy would not be found among Protestants? (except arguably Lutherans) and thus, their Baptism would not be valid since the person who Baptised them had to Apostolic grace? Going even further, some Protestant circles will not even have a minister baptize them but will just have a friend or family member baptize them inside of a swimming pool or with a spray-bottle or some other odd tradition.

Thoughts?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »

The whole notion of "valid" sacraments is an Augustinian idea that has no real place within Orthodox Tradition.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »

The whole notion of "valid" sacraments is an Augustinian idea that has no real place within Orthodox Tradition.

So they are always invalid?  Roll Eyes

There is no way not to have a concept of validity, unless there is no formula for how to do it. If some people can be ministers, and others cannot, then there is a concept of validity. If it matters what material means are used, if for instance one may not have communion with cookies and milk, then there is a concept of validity. If it matters what words are used, then there is a concept of validity. Perhaps it is the case that the Orthodox have not spent as much effort on mapping out the precise line between what is thought effective and what is not, but people here talk about what is valid all the time.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »

Are you referring instead to the notion of "valid vs. licit" that is found in Roman Catholic thought?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »

Exactly.

Outside of the Orthodox Church, there can exist the form of a sacrament, but it has no sacramental grace. It may, however, if I may wax scholastically here for a moment, bring a kind of incidental grace to a person outside the Church for the ultimate purpose of salvation since God desires the salvation of all, and their enlightenment with the truth, but all grace comes from the Orthodox Church, which is an overflowing fountain of blessing for the world in many seen and unseen ways.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:37:30 AM »

One of my Protestant friends just announced his Baptism on Facebook the other night and it got me wondering, is the Protestant sacrament (even if they don't view it sacramentally) valid/does it contain sacramental grace? I know that in Orthodoxy we will usually accept that as valid if it was Trinitarian, but what about the fact that no Protestants other than the Lutherans (who can claim apostolic succession from the RC Church) have any Apostolic succession at all? Wouldn't it mean then that the grace and authority that Jesus bestowed upon His apostles to perform the sacraments which was later continued by the Bishops they appointed and further continues throughout the Orthodox and RC clergy would not be found among Protestants? (except arguably Lutherans) and thus, their Baptism would not be valid since the person who Baptised them had to Apostolic grace? Going even further, some Protestant circles will not even have a minister baptize them but will just have a friend or family member baptize them inside of a swimming pool or with a spray-bottle or some other odd tradition.

Thoughts?

Spray bottle? I've seen a lot of Protestant abuses, but never this.

I dunno if I would laugh or cry.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:39:27 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »

First of all, Anglicans also claim Apostolic Succession, and until they started ordaining women to the episcopate, probably had as good a claim as the best Lutheran one.

Second of all, any baptized person can baptize. So while the Protestants do not have a valid priesthood (and most don't have any concept of the priesthood), most of them do have a succession of baptism by baptized persons, through the RC church, down to the present day.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 02:14:41 AM »

My priest told me as long as one is submerged under water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, it's good.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 07:29:07 AM »

Seventh Council of Carthage:

"I decide, that every man who comes to us from heresy must be baptized. For in vain does he think that he has been baptized there, seeing that there is no baptism save the one and true baptism in the Church; because not only is God one, but the faith is one, and the Church is one, wherein stands the one baptism, and holiness, and the rest. For whatever is done without, has no effect of salvation."

So, yeah...

Smiley

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »

"I decide, that every man who comes to us from heresy must be baptized. For in vain does he think that he has been baptized there, seeing that there is no baptism save the one and true baptism in the Church; because not only is God one, but the faith is one, and the Church is one, wherein stands the one baptism, and holiness, and the rest. For whatever is done without, has no effect of salvation."

So, yeah...

Smiley
What about the fact that the decision of this Council of Carthage contradicted what was understood to be the apostolic practice received in Rome?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »

So, yeah...

Smiley
So my Chrismation means nothing then I suppose?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »

Spray bottle? ... I dunno if I would laugh or cry.

Cry, I hope.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »

So, yeah...

Smiley
So my Chrismation means nothing then I suppose?

PP

Why would you presume that?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 12:15:23 AM »

To address the OP,

In the U.S., at least, different bishops view Protestant baptism differently. Some will accept any trinitarian baptism by water. Others a bit choosier, accepting more sacramental-leaning Protestants (Anglicans, Methodists, sometimes even conservative Presbyterians) but not the radical reformers (such as Baptists, Pentecostals...who actually come out of Methodism..., Mennonite, etc.) Others still simply don't accept Protestant baptism at all.

I think all have valid points, and there's really not been a Church council to address the reception of Protestants (like other councils defined how to accept Arians, Nestorians, Non-Chalcedonians, Novationists, Donatists, Sabellians, etc.). Until that happens, I think you'll see varying opinions on how we should receive Protestants into the Church.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »

Why would you presume that?
No no. I was saying that in light of the referenced quote. No, I know it means Im part of the Church.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »

I've been taught that all Trinitarian baptisms are valid in some sense. In baptism we put on Christ and I think there is notable change in baptized heterodox people.

Baptism+Chrismation is a two-part sacrament, and Protestants don't practice Chrismation. We receive the Holy Spirit in Chrismation, and while a Protestant baptism by itself may have some grace, it only finds fullness in the Church.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Thoughts?

This is specifically a legalistic issue in regards to implementations of Canons and rules.  Such matters are generally reserved for the discretion of an individual bishop.  Does Protestant Baptism contain Sacramental Grace? Probably not, but again, that is up to the responsibility of the Bishop.  If a particular Protestant coming into Orthodox so strongly feels their own Baptism was valid and Graceful, then perhaps the Bishop might acquiesce out of respect for the person, and only require Chrismation. The purpose of Baptizing converts is not to demonize Protestantism, but to dispense the Divine Mystery.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: