OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 03:33:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biblical/Historical Argument FOR Apostolic Succession  (Read 565 times) Average Rating: 5
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« on: October 07, 2012, 09:10:23 PM »

Hey guys,
So I was just on a protestant article claiming that Apostolic succesion was somehow invented in 663 CE.  While the word "Apostolic succession" may not have been used until that time, I think that logically it is the only explanation for Church organization.  We know from the Didache that Bishops did exist at the very latest 150 CE.  Many of the Church Fathers quoted it and many of them even included it in their list of New Testament books.  So now the question is "were these Bishops self-ordained, ordained by lesser priests/presbyters, or were they sent by the Twelve Apostles to keep the Church organized?" Now, in order to answer this question we need to look at an interesting thing Jesus Christ Himself said.  No it is not a wierd interpretation on "rock" or "binding and loosing." It is Matthew 28:19.  Jesus said "go and teach the nations."  Now logically, do you think they would, knowing most of them would be executed for their beliefs, not come up with some system of succession/organization in order to make sure that they would be connected with other churches.  Of course they disagreed on ALOT of things but they remained one Church.  And the reason that they did this is because of Bishops who must have come from Apostolic succession.  I realize that I am just a man and I may be misinterpreting this or taking it out of context.  But I think it is worth looking into even if you reject the Orthodox faith

anyways, what does OC.net think

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »

Books of Timothy and Titus. St Paul directly appointed them to their leadership. As for "bishops" they are mentioned several times in the New Testaments, most Protestant just prefer English versions that translates it as "overseer".

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:19:35 PM »

As for "bishops" they are mentioned several times in the New Testaments, most Protestant just prefer English versions that translates it as "overseer".

Not that it makes one iota of difference -- although it's hard to make that point, sometimes.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »

As for "bishops" they are mentioned several times in the New Testaments, most Protestant just prefer English versions that translates it as "overseer".
interesting... I honestly didn't know that

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Tags: Apostolic succession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: